by dolldrms1

Original Post

SIms 4 CAS makeup copying bug

[ Edited ]
★★★★★ Novice

Product: The Sims 4
Platform:PC
Which language are you playing the game in? English
How often does the bug occur? Often (50% - 99%)
What is your current game version number? 1.69.59.1020
What expansions, game packs, and stuff packs do you have installed? All to date.
Steps: How can we find the bug ourselves? Simply create a new sim, pick their makeup and then open a new outfit category from the outfit you just did the makeup on. This bug will not happen specifically when you do "New Game" and you can freely change their makeup and it will copy and paste correctly but can be inconsistent.
What happens when the bug occurs? The makeup doesn't copy. When you create a new sim in TS4 and set their makeup for the first time on everyday, that makeup is meant to copy to the next outfit category so long as its the first time you open it. If you have Everday 2 open then open Formal 1 for the first time it will copy and paste Everyday 2 makeup to Formal 1.
What do you expect to see? The makeup copied.
Have you installed any customization with the game, e.g. Custom Content or Mods? Not now. I've removed them.
Did this issue appear after a specific patch or change you made to your system? Yes
Please describe the patch or change you made. I didn't make a change to my system, this was a bug that has been present for at least a whole year now. I'm fairly confident this bug was introduced somewhere a little before the release of "Discover University" but I can contest that with a basegame install of TS4 before this feature was broken that this was the intended behavior and function which no longer works. I have tirelessly reported this issue and tired to reach but I haven't received any indication it is going to be fixed and its been at least a whole year now. In this current patch the bug seems to work a little differently, I believe the first sim in "New Game" will ALWAYS work correctly however when you click "Add New Sim" the feature breaks again, this never used to the case and needs to be fixed. I hope this can be fixed in time for the Paranormal stuff pack as this bug has ruined creating sims for me.

Edit By Crinrict: Fixed Duplicate Template 

Message 1 of 9 (5,301 Views)

Re: SIms 4 CAS makeup copying bug

Hero
@SimlishPopstar I never had makeup copy over to other outfits. Has always bugged me. Are you sure it did at some point ? Are you sure it wasn't a mod that did that for you ?

Looks like you also posted in GD and had the same answer: https://answers.ea.com/t5/General-Discussion-Feedback/Sims-4-Makeup-wont-copy-to-other-outfit-catago...

Good Luck
Crin

Trennlinie

I don't work or have any association with EA. I give advice to the best of my knowledge and cannot be held responsible for any damage done to your computer/game.
Please only contact me via PM when asked to do so.

Important Threads

Message 2 of 9 (5,266 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★★★ Novice

100% this a broken feature, if you follow my instructions you'll see it works "sometimes" which is proof enough something is wrong in CAS.
I have played this game since 2014 and even if my timing is inaccurate as to when this glitch began it has certainly existed for at least a year now and I'm a player who I'm confident spends more time in CAS than most people.

I have a physical deluxe copy of the game, if I could install it again without patches being applied I could easily prove this is a bug, but I don't understand why people don't remember this feature. I'm assuming because a lot of people jumped on Sims 4 later rather than earlier. I am not using a mod and I never did use a mod for this feature until it actually broke, I've been having to use MCC and send my sims in gameplay constantly just to fix the issue, as someone who uses CAS all the time I'd know if this was ever a cycle I had to do and it never was.

I posted in GD and people didn't seem to even remember this feature, so I decided to report it as a bug as that is what it is, I've tried fresh installs, no mods and mods. When this game first came out and I didn't use mods at all, and the feature worked then. 

I want to get this issue fixed as its just made makeup very tedious and now with makeup sliders everything takes x2 longer.
I'd encourage you if you can to follow the steps I made and see if you can replicate the makeup copying and not copying under different circumstances. If I must I may attempt restoring a version of the game where the feature worked but I just want this bug to be fixed, I've waited very long now and reported in different places multiple times. I've had this issue across multiple different computers too ever since it began so I doubt its a problem caused by a computer.

Message 3 of 9 (5,263 Views)

Hero
@SimlishPopstar I did follow your instructions. Created about a dozen Sims and was able to replicate the makeup sticking in one specific case: Make a new Sim and change the makeup. It will then stick. If you create an additional Sim or use randomize or change age or gender, it doesn't stick for those for me.

Used my oldest save and created a new Sim. Tried a new save and tried a new Sim and that was the only case (so maybe that's the bug ?)

I can't decided if this is a bug, that's up to EA but obviously I remember it differently (and yes, I've played Sims 4 since the first CAS Demo batch and I really don't remember it ever carrying over but my brain could of course playing tricks). From what you're saying it's been happening more recent since DU and I'm confident it did not do it for me before DU either.

You certainly don't need to try get an old version to run as it doesn't matter what any of us remember. It's EA's decision if it is and if they fix it.

I've cant' find a report from you on this matter on AHQ so I don't know where exactly you reported it. At the officials ? If so, did anyone else have the issue ?

Good Luck
Crin

Trennlinie

I don't work or have any association with EA. I give advice to the best of my knowledge and cannot be held responsible for any damage done to your computer/game.

Important Threads

Message 4 of 9 (5,176 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★★★ Novice

The issue was somewhere before DU, but I'm just using DU as a general pointer for when it did begin.

I may try later to to at least have the issue recorded if I can find my physical copy however at this point I am done putting in much more thought into this issue.

As for where I did report, I used social media and popular discord servers associated with bugs such as MCC (other people recognized it there) and I'm fairly confident I've brought it up on the forums at least once, admittedly I've tired myself out by simply not having been more vocal overall, I have been quiet as I thought at the time it was a feature that would not be forgotten even till now but I know I'm wrong at this point.
As for the demo, I do believe this was not in the demo at all but I honestly barely have memories of the demo. 

This issue was not tied to saves at all either, it was just CAS and on its own to my memory.

https://www.reddit.com/r/thesims/comments/bnjziu/how_to_pass_your_sims_makeup_to_other_outfits/
I've managed to find others talking about the feature, though the rules they are saying to make it work seem a lot more strict than how I approached it.

https://modthesims.info/t/532296

There's also this thread back from 2014 that talks about it and one mentions the makeup is locked for them and then suddenly in 2017 the thread is resurrected and the feature doesn't work/exist apparently.

My main fear is that this feature was patched into the basegame (even if day 1) so it makes my disk copy redundant in even proving this feature exists and I don't really want to reinstall the entire game again just to get one clip. At the moment perhaps I am wrong that it . But I suppose I'll wait it out for now as you say.

Message 5 of 9 (5,172 Views)

Hero
@SimlishPopstar I read the two thread and the reddit one seems to talk about what I described above (don't touch anything else and it will stick) while the modthesims links seems more about hair then makeup (just title seems to mention makeup).

Good Luck
Crin

Trennlinie

Important Threads

Message 6 of 9 (5,137 Views)

★ Pro

@SimlishPopstar  

As crinrict stated, I don't recall makeup copying either. Interesting timing of my reading this report, though, because of an experience encountered while playing last night.

I had a female child sim age up to teen. I took her into CAS to set outfits and much to my surprise the makeup the game must have applied when she aged up, did copy from category to category. I didn't add second fashion selections. She has a dark skintone and I thought possibly something changed with dark skintones because of changes made to them via patches. I honestly don't know how to account for seeing makeup carry over to each category because that simply hasn't been my prior experience.

I was going to just stay quiet about this because I am currently playing a downloaded save. I've never used mods/cc but I do believe the player I got the save from does use them and wasn't sure if something residual might have caused this. For all I know, this sim may have been played with in CAS and aged down. Aging up may have triggered makeup applied while her life stages were played with. Unless I can replicate an issue, or occurrence, in one of my own freshly started saves, I don't usually report such issues.

In conclusion, I would say copying the makeup from everyday to other categories would be beneficial but I don't consider it game breaking if it doesn't. The makeup I use in RL for dressing more formally is certainly different from what I would wear at other times. However, people often have a "signature" makeup look that would be used for all sim categories of fashion and thusly, I understand the want for the copying makeup from category to category. That, however, is probably feedback Standard smile

Message 7 of 9 (5,121 Views)

Community Manager (retired)

I asked our CAS Producer about this and I'm being told that makeup's never been set to copy to other outfits. We've always randomized it on a per-outfit basis. Hair is the only asset that auto-locks to all outfits until you choose to break the link and change it on different outfits.

This account is no longer accepting Direct Messages. If you need to send a Direct Message, please send it to TheSimsDirect. Thank you.

Message 8 of 9 (4,700 Views)

★ Pro

@SimlishPopstar  Wanted to tag you to be sure you saw SimGuruNick's response.  I'm impressed he took the time to talk to the CAS Producer to confirm what players should be seeing, both now and in the past.  Sure makes the experience I had where the makeup did copy even stranger.

Since this does look like it falls into the realm of feedback, I also wanted to link you to a thread on The Sims Forums about things that players would like to see in a CAS overhaul.  It is located here: CAS overhaul — The Sims Forums  Someone in the thread has already mentioned makeup copying and I thought you might want to mention it's something you would also like to see.  If you've got other ideas you would like to see implemented, it's a good thread for you to express those wants.

Message 9 of 9 (4,675 Views)