Rookie Tuner: MX-5 Zhejiang Time Attack - Sudden Jump in Lap Times

by RaigaKagekami

Original Post

Rookie Tuner: MX-5 Zhejiang Time Attack - Sudden Jump in Lap Times

★★★★★ Newbie

Hi,

I'm playing on Expert difficulty.

The first Rookie Tuner event is the Zhejiang Time Attack event.

Over the course of the 5 laps, I was consistently getting first, where my fastest lap time I could push to was about 58 secs, while the AI in 2nd clocked >=1 min as their fastest time.

Upon crossing the finish line however, about 10-11 AI cars would leap past my time on the chart, which is weird, the top being about 56 secs.

There's no replay record to see how fast the remaining AI completed their final lap as it ends when the player crosses the line.

My hunch is that the race results were poorly calculated / simulated after the player crosses the line, for whatever reason.

IIRC this was also an issue in GRID 2019 for Zhejiang.

This was also posted to the GRID subreddit by another player which I've attached.

Reporting for visibility.

Message 1 of 9 (2,682 Views)

Re: Rookie Tuner: MX-5 Zhejiang Time Attack - Sudden Jump in Lap Times

★★ Novice
@RaigaKagekami Hey, I have the same problem, hope it will get fixed, but I've also found a workaround.

Get the fastest lap on your first few laps but at the last lap just park your car before the finish, and let everyone complete their lap first, which should allow the game to calculate AI times properly.

This also probably confirms your hunch, that the times are badly simulated, after the player finishes.
Message 2 of 9 (2,632 Views)

★★★★★ Newbie

@SpejsPug Hah, that's one way. Like a class monitor. Ensure the AI aren't breaking the GRID universe's laws of physics. Thanks for your reply!

Forgot to mention this was on PC - hope it gets fixed.

Message 3 of 9 (2,612 Views)

★★ Guide

This event has some issues.

With Legend AI, few bots are pushing times that are not really possible to beat.

They managed to consistently outpace me by 2 seconds, every time. And that's during the race, not after, as you describe.

After I upgraded the Mazda fully, situation was reversed - I started to beat the bots with ease.

In previous races, this was not the case, it was easier to win with unupgraded car, because after the upgrade, bots would go too fast for you to catch up.

With this event, it's the other way around.

I can also confirm that waiting on the last lap for all the bots to finish their laps works, AI times are not going to space anymore.

I'm not impressed with AI difficulity consistency so far... on Legend, it's all over the place.

Message 4 of 9 (2,576 Views)

★ Apprentice

+1 same issue the other night, put me off playing after a x3 length session to then be cheated by the AI...

I also feel like this isn't isolated to the MX5 Cup, likely all time attacks, as I recall during the story mode this was happening, but didn't matter as much on lower difficulty and with lesser goals/place requirements.

Message 5 of 9 (2,274 Views)

★★★ Apprentice

This seems like a weird design decision more than a bug. The AI times seem to be fixed to always be x amount faster than you on their next lap (intentionally positioning you in the top 3, but not 1st, to only be beatable once you fully upgrade the car. I've done events where I'd set a the fastest lap with a non-upgraded car after every other AI car had done their 3 laps, only to be beaten in the results screen, but then win it by a huge margin with a fully upgraded car with an only slightly faster time

Message 6 of 9 (2,255 Views)

★ Novice

Hey,

As stated above I still have this issue. Patch 3.1 didn't seem to fix this for me.

Driven to Glory & Career

• Missing UI in certain circumstances has been resolved
  • Getting disqualified in ‘Back in the Fight’ no longer unlocks the next event
  • AI timers no longer exceed the player’s in the MX-5 Cup Event 1

I'm on ps4pro playing on expert difficulty and 2x race length. I get beaten in final lap by 10+ cars (cars with smoking engines etc... get fastest lap times)

Please have another look into this.

Also thx for the work around ill check it right away and see if lower difficulty has the same results.

Message 7 of 9 (1,860 Views)

★ Novice
@BenBRogue I just ran this event on easy again and finished 1st with the second ai time 1.15 during the last lap. In the results screen the ai times were between 1.10 and 1.13 for the last place...

This is indeed a weird design decision if not a bug...
Message 8 of 9 (1,853 Views)

★★ Novice

That is EA for you

I have the same exact issue I do 58 sec and leading the entire event while finish I get 11th place and the number one AI  made 55sec out of nowhere

And this game costs 70$ what a joke!

Message 9 of 9 (492 Views)

ea-play-promo-splash

What's EA Play?

New name, new look, same great benefits: EA Access and Origin Access are now EA Play.

Get more info on the change here.

ea-help-promo-3

Forget your EA Account ID or password?

Reset, update, or link your account information.

View more on EA Help