Refresh Rate bug

by cnRJay

Original Post

Re: Refresh Rate bug

★★★★★ Apprentice

They are probably hoping it gets buried to the bottom of the forum over the weekend

Message 91 of 732 (1,145 Views)

Re: Low fps with High Framerate indicator

★★ Novice

For me this option doesn’t even work. I run 2k on a RTX3080 oc and a g sync monitor. No resolution or frame lock helps I always get tearing low frame rates long loading times...

Message 92 of 732 (1,503 Views)

★★ Apprentice

Same Issue Here. It seems the environment outside my cockpit is some how limited to around 60 hz. I say this only based on my own personal observation, but this is hard to test and quite jarring even when running at stable high refresh rates as reported by rtss. 

I've tried turning vsync off both in game and in nvidia control panel, turning of hdr in game, turning off dynamic resolution in config files, capping refresh to 144. 

if any devs see this i highly recommend running the game game at an unlocked refresh rate on a high refresh rate monitor in order to replicate the problem. demonstrating it via 144fps video would be tough, and frametime monitors dont seem to capture the issue. 

Message 93 of 732 (1,465 Views)

★ Guide

Set in game refresh to 60 hz and turn on vsync. This will get consistent 60 FPS.  Then hope for a patch. 

Message 94 of 732 (1,398 Views)

★ Guide

For now I set my index to 120Hz and force reprojection which drops it to 60fps. At least the ghosting of reprojection is better than the stutter without it. I really hope they fix it asap, at least they could acknowledge the issue.

Message 95 of 732 (1,327 Views)

★★★★★ Novice

Getting the same framerate bug.

Driver: 456.55
3440x1440 Ultrawide@120hz
Gsync: Fullscreen Only setting.

Steam-PC

Nvidia GTX 1080ti

Ryzen 3900X
32GB Ram@3600

Xbox Controller.

What's the status on this fix??

Message 96 of 732 (1,314 Views)

[ Edited ]
Hero

I tested for myself and the 60hz refresh rate is the only setting that works properly. 75, 120, and 144 all run the game at 30fps, despite Origin's framerate counter showing higher framerates. Vsync was off and FreeSync is enabled in the driver settings.

Even at 60hz, the game isn't smooth, though, because of the excessive motion blur that can't be disabled. Even in my brief testing session just now, the motion blur got me feeling woozy.

Edit: I now found out that having vsync disabled is fine in the hangar, but not in flight. In flight, vsync has to be on or I still get a low framerate.

CCP Hero Banner - Red.png

Message 97 of 732 (1,310 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★ Apprentice

The devs seem loosely aware based only on posts in the technical section of the launch megathread on reddit.    https://www.reddit.com/r/StarWarsSquadrons/comments/j3cr9n/framerate_looks_like_half_of_what_it_actu...

Seems like some weird framerate smoothing in engine that prefers 60hz. Best case performance short term for me has been to run in borderless and either cap fps at 60hz or change my monitors refresh to 60hz in nvidia control panel. Any other refresh has been problematic. 

Message 98 of 732 (1,292 Views)

★★★ Novice

60hz refresh in Squadrons settings doesn't stick for me so the problem persists on AMD / my 5700xt. To solve the problem I had to limit to 60fps on the card's side via AMD's Chill function, and then it just went away and is butter smooth now (well, as smooth as 60fps could ever get).

It's like somewhere in the rendering pipeline, some sort of 60fps assumption is being made, and when it doesn't match up with monitors/setups over 60fps, it stutters and drags to levels even far below 60 - the hangars feel like they're 15 fps or less when the bug's occuring.

Message 99 of 732 (1,270 Views)

★★★★ Apprentice
Message 100 of 732 (1,223 Views)