Re: Runs INSANELY poorly on Index on a 1080TI

by fearlessfrog

Original Post

★★★★ Novice

Targeting reticule splits into two while turning.

Not sure if this will be useful, but I'm reporting it just in case.

It occurs when the background is anything other than the background stars. When pulling a turn, the targeting reticule is a double image.
During the turn, when the background becomes stars the reticule snaps back to a single image (then returns to double when the background becomes debris, astoroids or whatever).

This is occuring while using the Oculus shortcut CTRL+NUMPAD3 (force apps to 45hz, ENABLE ASW) - which generally improves the background flicker / double vision for me.

Asus Z170 Pro Gaming Intel Z170
Intel Core i7-6700K 4.0GHz
MSI GeForce RTX 2080
Oculus Rift
Saitek X52 Pro

Message 601 of 732 (1,319 Views)

★★★★ Apprentice
@NickNj Thats ASW artifacting. The double vision flicker is the problem we're trying to get fixed Standard smile
Message 602 of 732 (1,268 Views)

★ Apprentice

Via reddit, via Discord(?), via a guy in the pub whose dog told me:

https://www.reddit.com/r/StarWarsSquadrons/comments/jfmbwc/a_new_hope/

kMXXLdI.png

Ideally there would be a game forum with a specific bug topic to share news like this from the @ea reps. (sensible chuckle).

Everyone cross everything for luck..

Message 603 of 732 (1,140 Views)

★★★★ Novice

I've got everything crossed.

I've been waiting for this game for 20 years.

EA, you can repair it can't you? You must repair it! Sir if any of my circuits or gears will help I'll gladly donate them!

Message 604 of 732 (1,123 Views)

Re: Refresh Rate bug

★★★★ Novice

It would be amazing if there could be a little bit more transparency with this fix.  I play on Rift S, and at this point, I feel like my eyes and brain have adjusted to the micro-stutter happening when maneuvering, but It still bugs the hell out of me (no pun intended).  I wish the devs could just give us a dam weekly update on their progress with this issue.  We all love the game and just want to be kept in the loop instead of speculating as to when the hell this will be fixed.  As stated by many others, I don't understand how the game gets released with such a foundational issue.  I'm surprised that no one testing the game was using a panel above 60hz, not to mention multiple different VR headsets with their varying refresh rates.  And if they were, how could there be such an oversight?  Limited resources or just carelessness? Ok, rant over..... EA, Please LET US KNOW WHAT IS UP!!!!

Message 605 of 732 (1,065 Views)

[ Edited ]
★ Guide

@fearlessfrog wrote:

Via reddit, via Discord(?), via a guy in the pub whose dog told me:

https://www.reddit.com/r/StarWarsSquadrons/comments/jfmbwc/a_new_hope/

kMXXLdI.png

Ideally there would be a game forum with a specific bug topic to share news like this from the @ea reps. (sensible chuckle).

Everyone cross everything for luck..

Like i posted on Reddit:

Their comments always sound slippery:

Hearing from us about this: could mean when you hear about this they just say "we have a possible solution", "we are working on this"

Not long from now: days, weeks, months?

Very happy with the team´s work: because they identified the problem correctly?, because they already have a solution?, because they found an alternative solution that still mantains the cap but they think it looks smoother? (this is one is really cringy)

I mean, its definitely not hard to be clear when you communicate something as direct as this, its usually (not saying always, but usually) hard to be clear when you are trying to hide something or make it look softer than what it really is.

Message 606 of 732 (942 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★ Apprentice

@Fr4gz0n3The GPU usage increases proportionally when the game is tested at 60 and 120 fps. I think it means something, but you're right, we can't be 100% sure. I’m just trying to draw conclusions based on my observations that might help solve the problem. I feel sorry for the ones who don't know the difference between the meaning of "frame" and "physics update frequency".

Message 607 of 732 (809 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★★ Novice

@nbk_redspy wrote:

@bredsfx wrote:
@StaggerL33TI'm talking about that the VGA is rendering the same state of the game twice or more times. I'm just trying to be precise about the issue.

What you are saying would normally be true.  This game is using an odd trick.  Rather than only sending 60 frames down, it is filling in anything over 60 FPS with duplicate renders.  This is the first game I’ve ever seen do this.  

No brefsfx is right about the graphics rendering it twice. The game is not sending it duplicate renders as illustrated by the fact that you can see the little white lines change between every frame, even above 60 fps ( and in the case of vr you can see the frame re-rendered from the different headset position ). The GPU is basically rendering the same scene twice, so its slightly different than litterally straight up duplicating frames. Its actually creating a new frame that looks almost the same as the previous frame, which is also why the gpu usage does in fact ramp up when you increase the frame rate, because it does actually increase the rendering needed by the GPU.

Message 608 of 732 (796 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★ Apprentice

@furfootsI don't think its entirely true. This is the first game which produced something like that on an ULMB monitor:
https://pasteboard.co/JwWDS8k.jpg

Edit: I did some test with other VR title where I can turn continuously. I switched motion smoothing (ASW) on. I turned with the controller to the left direction, while I turned my head to the opposite direction to keep an object on the middle of the HMD screen, and it produces double vision also, but not that much as it does in this game.

Based on that the double vision occurs even on a monitor on 60hz / 60 fps, I did other test, where I monitored the CPU/GPU usage on 30 and 60 fps (2700X, 2070S). Here are the results:

https://pasteboard.co/JwXsBI1.jpg

So it looks like the game engine is so f*cked up, that they limited the physics update frequency to 30 in order to save on the CPU load... Otherwise the vast majority of potential customers wouldn’t be able to play the game even at "60 fps", which is - obviously - unacceptable.

Message 609 of 732 (775 Views)

Re: Refresh Rate bug

★ Apprentice

is this a limit of the Frostbite engine or do other titles perform fine above 60FPS? I hope it's not as a proper fix for this could be a long-time coming.

Message 610 of 732 (745 Views)