by sparky619

Original Post

Accepted Solution

Racial slur used in object description

★ Apprentice

Product: The Sims 4
Platform:PC
Which language are you playing the game in? English
How often does the bug occur? Every time (100%)
What is your current game version number? latest
What expansions, game packs, and stuff packs do you have installed? all
Steps: How can we find the bug ourselves? Look at the description for the Footloose Beverage Bodega
What happens when the bug occurs? One of your writers thought it was ok to use a racial slur in an object description and none of your editors caught it. Still no response from any of your devs as to why this was thought ok. Sickening behaviour.
What do you expect to see? Not having a game made by ignorant racists.
Have you installed any customization with the game, e.g. Custom Content or Mods? Not now. I've removed them.
Did this issue appear after a specific patch or change you made to your system? Yes
Please describe the patch or change you made. Eco Lifestyle

The G slur is extremely offensive and derogatory towards the Romani and Traveller communities and has a very long history of dehumanising them going back literally centuries. 

Message 1 of 6 (1,838 Views)

Accepted Solution

Re: Racial slur used in object description

★★ Guide

Download the June 10th patch. It's already changed...

View in thread

Message 2 of 6 (1,762 Views)

All Replies

★★ Guide

Download the June 10th patch. It's already changed...

Message 2 of 6 (1,763 Views)

★ Apprentice
@Compulsivian Thanks!!! Am hoping they might issue an apology but I’m glad they finally took action.
Message 3 of 6 (1,740 Views)

★★ Guide

People make mistakes. Quality Control do fail sometimes. But if people can acknowledge a problem, and are willing to learn from them, it's better than any apology. I know what, You mean, but Actions speaks louder than Words. - And They apparently felt it was that big of a mistake, they put in an Emergency Patch.

Message 4 of 6 (1,721 Views)

[ Edited ]
Community Manager

@sparky619 Hey, I think @Compulsivian  has it right, sometimes things can slip through the cracks, and fortunately we have our community to highlight if that happens.

As noted, this was quickly patched out (notes can be found here) but I haven't seen any more detailed statement. 

Thanks for flagging this, if you see anything else you want to highlight, please let us know. 

David.png
Stay and Play.png
Message 5 of 6 (1,540 Views)

★ Guide

I thought a different word was the inappropriate word & the "G slur" was correct. I had no idea. Thank you for the information. 

And no I'm not going to say what I thought was wrong I'm just going to assume it is & not use it.

Message 6 of 6 (1,413 Views)