Re: Poor performance on iPhone SE (2020)

by Alternateo

Original Post

Highlighted

★ Novice

@EA_HighCommand Any updates?  We haven't heard anything and don't see any issues related to this listed on the dev tracker (is this still even used)?

Setting aside the in-game ramifications of nearly unplayable lag causing GAC/TW/Arena match losses or time-outs, the more worrisome aspect is the effect of this issue on our hardware as multiple folks (including myself) have experienced extremely high temperature spikes of our devices while actively playing the game.

I have also noticed that sometimes I can mitigate the effect of the lag if I begin recording with the built-in iPhone video recording functionality once I start experiencing lag within a battle.  The lag doesn't completely disappear, but will usually at least be playable.  A weird interaction that hopefully helps diagnose the problem...

Message 21 of 25 (479 Views)

[ Edited ]
★ Novice

The performance on the iPhone SE (2020) is SO bad. I don't know how I can emphasize this more. In the past week, I've played this game on my iPhone SE (2020), iPhone SE (2016), iPhone 11 Pro, Pixel 2, Pixel 3a, and newest model iPad. It is smooth as butter on the iPad and 2016 iPhone SE. A little laggy but not too bad on the Pixel 2 and Pixel 3a. On the iPhone 11 Pro, it's often laggy but not too bad, and sometimes pretty bad.

But on the new iPhone SE (2020)? It ranges from pretty laggy to unplayable. I tried to reinstall the game, first two battles were smooth before degenerating into an unplayable state again. Technically it is playable, but moves in a battle take upwards of 10 seconds and the animation is so jarring, it's all frustration and no fun. I'd rather have working text-based combat than this. I've tried restarting my phone and reinstalling the game several times and it doesn't seem to help. If I couldn't play on other devices, I'd just quit the game because I literally can't play.

Message 22 of 25 (430 Views)

★★★★★ Novice

@unsunken wrote:

The performance on the iPhone SE (2020) is SO bad. I don't know how I can emphasize this more. In the past week, I've played this game on my iPhone SE (2020), iPhone SE (2016), iPhone 11 Pro, Pixel 2, Pixel 3a, and newest model iPad. It is smooth as butter on the iPad and 2016 iPhone SE. A little laggy but not too bad on the Pixel 2 and Pixel 3a. On the iPhone 11 Pro, it's often laggy but not too bad, and sometimes pretty bad.

But on the new iPhone SE (2020)? It ranges from pretty laggy to unplayable. I tried to reinstall the game, first two battles were smooth before degenerating into an unplayable state again. Technically it is playable, but moves in a battle take upwards of 10 seconds and the animation is so jarring, it's all frustration and no fun. I'd rather have working text-based combat than this. I've tried restarting my phone and reinstalling the game several times and it doesn't seem to help. If I couldn't play on other devices, I'd just quit the game because I literally can't play.

This week has been utterly brutal - worse than ever before. The game is unplayable in TW and GAC. Even turning screen recording on hasn’t made much difference. 

10 weeks, no movement.

Message 23 of 25 (355 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★ Novice

Any news on this?  I can’t play like this.

Message 24 of 25 (319 Views)

★★★ Novice

The new version out now 0.19.4 seems to run better so far in very limited testing.  Maybe just coincidence.  

Message 25 of 25 (295 Views)