Played Sims quitting & getting jobs

by luthienrising

Original Post

Re: Played Sims quitting & getting jobs

★★★ Guide

As I continue to play, I'm still having random issues with my played sims quitting & getting jobs, and unemployed sims getting jobs. So far I'm noticing that if I allow more than a sim day between switching households, my previously played households have a higher chance of having their job or job status change. It's making me wonder if that's a factor, that the longer I go between playing that household again, the game for some reason thinks the household is "unplayed" and starts using this feature on it.

Message 31 of 63 (4,775 Views)

★★★★ Apprentice

Regarding the culling: I do cull unplayed sims manually, to avoid mods and the game culling dead sims, so that might play a part in my case.

But if the game was only changing jobs to fill "needs", I don't see why it retires my people at the top of the careers, and constantly quits the teen jobs. I already have multiple sims in every possible career, so no one needs coworkers. I did suspect the same thing when it kept giving teens the Barista job, which was the only job I was avoiding on purpose, but it didn't help when I then made a few baristas.

The game rarely messes with my adults now though (all are employed, the game has retired 3 elders at the top of their careers, but no adults have just lost a job or gotten a new job since my first rotation post-patch), but the teens are still having different jobs assigned every time I play them - and quite a few teens (about half of them) still just loose their jobs, and don't get assigned a new one.

Message 32 of 63 (4,770 Views)

★★ Novice

Me too. A Sim could be at level 6 of a career, then in rotational gameplay, they stop appearing s a co-worker in active Sim's relationship panel, and I go back to their house and the Sim is unemployed. Sometimes if I re-employ the Sim, they will start at the level below the one they quit or sometimes they start at level 1 again. If the Sim is a parent, they will tell other Sims they are a stay-at-home parent when I KNOW I have assigned them to a career! Townies become employed in these same fields and I wonder if there is a number limit? I would prefer my active Sims be employed over townies.

Message 33 of 63 (4,768 Views)

Re: Sims start random career in random level without permission.

[ Edited ]

Re Cinebar's point: "I don't have this problem at all. I am wondering how many people are culling townies and not leave the game a way to fill jobs other than the current households.  Culling Sims in Manage Worlds should generate new Sims, correct? However, if your population is too low, wouldn't that mean the game has to use your own Sims to fill the jobs that need filled?" 

I had it happen in a test game with 12 played Sims + 35 nonplayed housed Sims at the start of the game, and in which I did no culling at all (there were about 50 unhoused townies by the time I finished testing) and had no mods. I gave 10 of the 12 played Sims jobs myself at the outset and left the other 2 unemployed, and let the game hand out jobs as it liked to nonplayed Sims, both housed and unhoused. The game turned one of my unemployed played Sims into a Painter almost right away; I had no played Sims in that career, so no reason for the game to need a Painter. By the time I finished playing the test game, I still had at least 25 nonplayed Sims who didn't have assigned jobs ("at least" because I never got to find out all of them before I was done). So there was absolutely no requirement for the game to assign my played Sim a job, and not that job in particular. 

Sul sul!
I don't work for EA, and I don't do private support.
I do receive products from EA as part of the EA Creator Network.
Have you backed up your Saves? Checked for broken and updated mods/CC?
Message 34 of 63 (4,766 Views)

★ Novice

Since getting GTW I have been playing between 2 households and got a big surprise when I went back to my first household. I originally posted on the sims forum but someone suggested posting her so here goes. I have no mods or CC in my game ever and Household 1 was from before GTW and household 2 I created the wife after installing GTW and she then married an NPC. Progression and aging are off.

Household 1: Husband was level 6 or 7 in the scientist career and wife was unemployed when I last saved and the kids grades were B B C C.

Household 2: Husband was Secret agent and Wife started out as a detective but quit at about level 6 or 7 due to bugs preventing her from solving cases and Joined the Doctor career and made it to level 10. Before leaving she was still able to join detective career at about Level 5.

Went back to Household 1: Husband was unemployed and seemed to have no career standing with the scientist career or the programming career that he was formerly in. Wife was level 7 in the detective career, I decided to try following her and I got the intro much like you get when you enter at level 1. Kids grades were A B B C.

As I had spent significant time in Household 2 I had no previous saves before that time so I really can't go back to before I switched households and I think maybe switching active careers corrupted the households. Sad but I will just keep playing.

I decided to see if it had corrupted another household that had regular careers and nothing seemed wrong. Household one's inventory seemed complete and catalog of earned rewards from former careers were unlocked.

I went back to household 2 and her ability to rejoin the detective career would start at level 1 again.

Message 35 of 63 (4,755 Views)

★★★★★ Novice

When I play a household for a while, then go back to another one, I find that my unemployed Sims now have random jobs.  I wondered why it kept saying they were "busy" when I tried to invite them over, they are supposed to be unemployed and always available.  So I have them quit and play with them for a while.  Then when I go to another family, one of their married kids, and eventually come back, they have found yet another job and do not stay unemployed!

I also found that some of my played Sims with jobs had been promoted.  I had one girl be a Scientist and her sister in a different household be a doctor.  When I came back to play with the sister as a doctor to play this field for the very first time, I had no idea what was going on, and later found out when playing another doctor from scratch that she had been promoted a few times before I had even personally played her and got her started in the job.  I don't want my played sims, especially in the doctor, scientist, and detective careers, to get automatic promotions while I am playing with a different family.

Message 36 of 63 (4,744 Views)

@crinrict, Graham acknowledged this one in the SimGuru chat on Tuesday this week Confusedmileyhappy:

Sul sul!
I don't work for EA, and I don't do private support.
I do receive products from EA as part of the EA Creator Network.
Have you backed up your Saves? Checked for broken and updated mods/CC?
Message 37 of 63 (4,723 Views)

Hero

Good.

Good Luck
Crin

Trennlinie

I don't work or have any association with EA. I give advice to the best of my knowledge and cannot be held responsible for any damage done to your computer/game.
Please only contact me via PM when asked to do so.

Important Threads

Message 38 of 63 (4,715 Views)

★ Apprentice

I noticed this for the first time today. I am playing three different households in one save file. A Scientist and his family in one house. A Doctor and her family in another... you get the picture.
I was playing my Scientist, and he's friends with my Detective. When I looked in the relationship panel, he wasn't a Detective anymore .. He was a Stay-at-Home Dad?!?! Weird I thought.

Then today when I played my Detective house, he was Lvl 10 of the Athletic career?!?! >_< So MAD, he was around Lvl 7 of the Detective career the last time I played him.
From looking around my game, I'm pretty sure my Doctor has been demoted... She was Lvl 10.
I am NOT going though all the levels again with those sims!!.... so I guess I am going to be using the cheats..... which sucks, cuz I don't like using them.

Hope this gets fixed soon! 

Message 39 of 63 (4,686 Views)

My used sims change careers when I'm not using them

[ Edited ]
★ Apprentice

My sims used change professions when I'm not using them and also retire when I'm not.

I don't like that, because they are family controlled by me, and some of them , the sims were at the peak of their careers,

and now must start almost from the beginning! 

I don't think a BUG , but neither seems normal and I'm very angry with it Frown

I hope they solve it soon. Confusedmileyfrustrated:

Edit: I'm sorry, I didn't see that there was a post about it.

Message 40 of 63 (4,685 Views)