by Sivany Bright

Original Post

Pet coat colours not changing properly

[ Edited ]
★★★★ Novice

Product: The Sims 4
Platform:PC
Which language are you playing the game in? English
How often does the bug occur? Every time (100%)
What is your current game version number? 1.81.72.1030
What expansions, game packs, and stuff packs do you have installed? No kits, but I have all other packs except Vampires, Making Magic, the Star Wars one and Spooky Stuff
Steps: How can we find the bug ourselves? Make a household with a dog and place that household on a lot. Go back into CAS from in game and try to edit that dog's coat colour using the preset coats (not the painting tool).
What happens when the bug occurs? The coat colour will not change, the new colour shows as selected but the dog still looks the same. NB: This bug does not occur when first creating the dog in CAS, I'm able to select coat colours properly at that point.
What do you expect to see? The coat colour should change when I select a new coat pattern.
Have you installed any customization with the game, e.g. Custom Content or Mods? Not now. I've removed them.
Did this issue appear after a specific patch or change you made to your system? Yes
Please describe the patch or change you made. I noticed this first after one of the June or July patches.

This is getting really frustrating. I see lots of old threads about pet coat colours not changing properly but none of the solutions are relevant and those threads are marked as resolved. I think this is a different, new issue. For example, one old solution seems to be about custom hairs but I have no custom hairs and never have so that isn't the issue and the solution isn't relevant here. I only have MCCC and it doesn't seem to make a difference whether it's there or not.

Once since this issue started I managed to change a pet's coat colour by moving the pet into a different household but that workaround has only worked that one time. I also can't change the coat colour of any puppies born in game (even when they grow to adults) but I'm not entirely sure if that's a bug or if they are supposed to be unchangeable for game play reasons.

Message 1 of 8 (1,051 Views)

Re: Pet coat colours not changing properly

Hero
@Sivany Bright How are you taking the dog to CAS ? Does it change in CAS but not in the game ? I just tried my dog and he changed coat without issues.

Did you test another save as well ?

Good Luck
Crin

Trennlinie

I don't work or have any association with EA. I give advice to the best of my knowledge and cannot be held responsible for any damage done to your computer/game.
Please only contact me via PM when asked to do so.

Important Threads

Message 2 of 8 (1,027 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★★ Novice

I shift click the dog and choose "Modify in CAS". The coat colour doesn't change at all, even in CAS. The new colour looks selected (it has the box around it) but the actual colour on the dog doesn't alter. If I leave the new box selected and return to the game the change still doesn't appear.

I only play one save, but I started a new one and tried it there and it did actually work. Also I cycled through all the dogs in my current save and found that in one household (who had recently got married and moved in together) the dog that the husband brought with him, as well as the dog already in the house, are now able to change fur colours fine. I tried moving other households out and into houses to see if it was something to do with moving but the fur colours still aren't changing for those. It's as if most dogs are broken but that one household has somehow had the dogs fixed!

Is my save just broken? Is there anyway to fix it?

Message 3 of 8 (1,007 Views)

[ Edited ]
Hero

@Sivany Bright Can you try the plan outfit option on the Sim ? Do you have the fulleditmode active or not ?

Could you upload the dog you have issues with to the gallery ?

Good Luck
Crin

Trennlinie

I don't work or have any association with EA. I give advice to the best of my knowledge and cannot be held responsible for any damage done to your computer/game.

Important Threads

Message 4 of 8 (1,002 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★★ Novice

Sorry it's taken me so long to get back to  this. There is no plan outfit option available on the dog. Should this be a thing? The only way I can get into CAS to change the collar/dog clothes/coat etc is by using Shift+Click. I have tried changing the colour in CAS with fulleditmode on and off.

Edit: I've just realised that the dog also loads in CAS if any sim in the household uses plan outfit on the mirror. This doesn't help either.

Message 5 of 8 (920 Views)

Hero
@Sivany Bright Did you patch your game yesterday ?

Good Luck
Crin

Trennlinie

Important Threads

Message 6 of 8 (899 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★★ Novice

Yes I've patched it.

Could I just confirm - I definitely should be able to change the coat colour on dogs that were born in game? I'm not trying to do something that can't be done am I?

Message 7 of 8 (851 Views)

Hero
@Sivany Bright I haven't tested a inborn game one (as I don't have one) but I thought it was that you can't change it at all for any dog after the initial creation ?

I would say that if you get the option, it should be possible.

When you upload the pet to the gallery and then place them in a new game, can you change it ?

Good Luck
Crin

Trennlinie

Important Threads

Message 8 of 8 (833 Views)