by Figblat

Original Post

[PS4/XB1] Incoming Text Causes Second Input

[ Edited ]
★★★ Apprentice

Product: The Sims 4
Platform:Sony Playstation 4
Which language are you playing the game in? English
How often does the bug occur? Every time (100%)
What expansions, game packs, and stuff packs do you have installed? Deluxe Edition (Awesome Animal Hats, Life of the Party, Up All Night), City Living, Dine Out, Perfect Patio, Vintage Glamour, Cool Kitchen, Luxury Party, Romantic Garden
Steps: How can we find the bug ourselves? Wait until one of your sims receives an incoming text message.
What happens when the bug occurs? The incoming text message pop up window automatically creates a duplicate input method.
What do you expect to see? I expect to have only one input method active at a time.
Have you installed any customization with the game, e.g. Custom Content or Mods? On console - never used.
Did this issue appear after a specific patch or change you made to your system? Neutral/Not Sure 

I will try to describe what I mean as clearly as possible. Normally you have one input method. Either the cursor, or the "menu selector". The cursor is pretty self-explanatory; it's the thing that you move around with the left thumbstick that looks like a little, floating pointer. The "menu selector" is the input method that you get when you press the touch pad on the controller. It removes the cursor and instead allows you to manually cycle through the various UI menus by highlighting the one you want with the various directional inputs and then pressing X.

Okay, now that's out of the way... What happens when you get an incoming text message, is the text message bubble/window automatically creates a duplicate "menu selector" input method on itself. Your cursor will remain, or your current selected menu will remain open. Then, upon tilting the left stick in various directions, your NORMAL input method will move as expected, but the duplicate "menu selector" on the text message bubble will also swap between the circular "answer" button in the middle and the "x" button in the top right corner of that same bubble. If you happen to still have the cursor up, and you tilt the left thumb stick in an upward/rightward fashion, even if the cursor is hovering over the circular "answer" button, it will instead close the text message bubble as if you declined the message, because the DUPLICATE "menu selector" is highlighting the "x" button in the top right corner of the bubble.

Once you realize that you always have to tilt the thumb stick in a downward/leftward fashion to make sure the duplicate "menu selector" is highlighting the circular "answer" button in the center of the text message bubble, and not the "x" in the top right corner of the bubble, that solves one problem; you can press the X button on the PS4 controller to make your selection and you will be able to respond to the text message normally. Once the text message has been either exited or responded to, the duplicate input disappears. HOWEVER, your NORMAL input method will also behave as though you selected whatever it was pointing to/highlighting. So, after you respond to the text message, either a radial menu will pop up, with regular choices depending on what your cursor was hovering over, or it will activate whatever menu/action/item was highlighted by your normal menu selector, depending upon which input method you were using at the time the incoming text message bubble popped up. 

So, I've figured out what is happening, but I don't know why. I'm not a programmer, but I've given as much detail as I can. I hope it helps.

I can't be certain of which patch or pack caused this issue, as I was away from Sims 4 for a few months. The bug must've been introduced between 12/19/2017 and 03/26/2018, as that was the period of my break from the game. I never encountered the issue prior to 12/19/2017. I'm sorry I can't give a narrower time frame for the bug's appearance; I know several patches and packs were released within that period... (I suppose I should mention that I did not have the Cool Kitchen pack prior to my break, and I obviously did not have the Luxury Party, Dine Out, or Romantic Garden packs at that time, either, so it's most likely one of those four packs, or a patch that was released between the two dates of my time away from the game...)

Message 1 of 2 (652 Views)

Phonecalls messing up controls

★★ Guide

Product: The Sims 4
Platform:Microsoft XBOX One
Which language are you playing the game in? English
How often does the bug occur? Occasionally (10% - 49%)
What expansions, game packs, and stuff packs do you have installed? Everything available for Xbone up to now
Steps: How can we find the bug ourselves? Try placeing something out of the sims inventory (in Livemode) and get a call at the same time (while object is still "in hand") or try other things like choosing what song to play/what to say while getting a call, try getting a call and a notification at the same time...
What happens when the bug occurs? I started noticing this the last few days actually, the phonecalls seem to somehow effect the controlls when they happen at the wrong moment. For example: Yesterday I was trying to place a photograph and got a call, I could not back out of anything, even when the call ended (by itself, I didn't pick up, couldn't do it if I had wanted to), I still had the photograph in the cursorhand, I could not back out nor place it, I was able to bring up the saving/go back to mainscreen etc. window though and was able to save and restarted the game. It seems like this is happening often and it almost always goes along with somebody calling at the same time I am trying to do an action or getting a notification. Sometimes I am able to back out and the controls work fine again but sometimes (like yesterday) it sticks with no way out other than closing the game.
What do you expect to see? For this not to happen anymore. For the controls not to go haywire at all. Also I would like an option to turn off the phone, silencing it doesn't do anything and get less calls plus getting calls at a better time than the middle of the night....those calls are really annoying even without this bug.
Have you installed any customization with the game, e.g. Custom Content or Mods? On console - never used.
Did this issue appear after a specific patch or change you made to your system? Neutral/Not Sure 

Message 2 of 2 (622 Views)