by Bowi_QC

Original Post

PS4 Pro fan noise in the menus

★★★ Novice

Product: Apex Legends
Platform:Sony Playstation 4
Please specify your platform model. Sony PlayStation 4 Pro
What is your gamertag/PSN ID/EA Account name? tapantaola
Please provide your squad mates' gamertag/PSN ID/EA Account name if possible.
Are you using any software with an overlay? No
Which Legend were you playing (if applicable)?
Which Legends were your squad mates using (if applicable)?
Where did the issue occur? In the lobby (waiting area before the match)
Which part of the map or menu were you in? If you don't remember the exact name, please describe the area or what you were trying to do in the menu. In-game menu with the 3 characters
What were you doing when the issue occurred? E.g. respawning a squad mate at a beacon, using an ability, a squad mate left the game. Nothing, just sitting in the menu.
Did your squad mates also experience the issue? Yes
How many matches had you played in a row before the issue occurred? 0
When did this happen? (dd.mm.yy hh:mm)
How often does the bug occur? Every time (100%)
How severe is your issue? Major impacts to gameplay
What happens when the bug occurs? The console fan becomes very loud and the console turns off, because the framerate is uncapped in menus.
What should be happening instead? The console fan should be silent in menus.
Steps: How can we find the bug ourselves? Just stay in the menu (where the 3 characters are). Forcing Vsync (60 fps locked) will fix this issue.

Hello everyone,

whenever I am in the menu (where the 3 characters are) the console fan becomes very loud due to uncapped fps and the console (PS4 Pro/CUH-7216B) turns off due to overheating.

This NEVER happens while playing, so it's not normal. An in-game menu is not as computationally intensive as playing in a vast 3D map.

I've already changed the thermal paste, but it didn't help.

Please use Vsync and cap the menus to locked 60 fps, just like you can do on PC. This has been an issue for over 8 months.

Other games (such as Rocket League) also had this issue and they fixed it with a patch. Looking forward to a solution.

Thanks in advance

Message 1 of 9 (3,654 Views)

Re: PS4 Pro fan noise in the menus

Community Manager

@tapantaolas 

I assume you have cleaned the outside vents with a vacuum cleaner, if you have replaced the thermal paste then maybe you will have the skills and tools to clean the fan and heasink too?

Kudos to you, the vast majority of players would not attempt to replace the thermal paste on a console! Standard smile

barry.png
Message 2 of 9 (3,623 Views)

★★★ Novice

Yeah, of course I did that. Cleaning the vents/fan/heatsink is the easy part! Standard smile

Now it would be nice if Respawn locked the menu fps, like you can do on PC with Vsync...

Message 3 of 9 (3,618 Views)

★★★ Novice

So, no response from Respawn devs after 2 months have passed? :\

I honestly don't understand how you guys expect to get my money while ignoring chronic issues...

Message 4 of 9 (3,481 Views)

★★★★★ Novice

Hi, tapantaolas! Thank you for addressing this issue. I always been curious about why my PS4 Pro becoming so loud in Apex's main menu, now I know the answer. 

Message 5 of 9 (3,454 Views)

PS4 PRO LOUD FAN ERROR

★★ Novice

Product: Apex Legends
Platform:Sony Playstation 4
Please specify your platform model. Sony PlayStation 4 Pro
What is your gamertag/PSN ID/EA Account name? FireStriker2016
Please provide your squad mates' gamertag/PSN ID/EA Account name if possible.
Are you using any software with an overlay? No
Which Legend were you playing (if applicable)?
Which Legends were your squad mates using (if applicable)?
Where did the issue occur? In the lobby (waiting area before the match)
Which part of the map or menu were you in? If you don't remember the exact name, please describe the area or what you were trying to do in the menu. In the main lobby, where the 3 legends appears.
What were you doing when the issue occurred? E.g. respawning a squad mate at a beacon, using an ability, a squad mate left the game. Nothing, I just started the game
Did your squad mates also experience the issue? Yes
How many matches had you played in a row before the issue occurred? Zero
When did this happen? (dd.mm.yy hh:mm)
How often does the bug occur? Occasionally (10% - 49%)
How severe is your issue? Major impacts to gameplay
What happens when the bug occurs? PS4 PRO TURN OFF SUDDENLY
What should be happening instead? The Fan should be silent or almost silent
Steps: How can we find the bug ourselves? Using a Ps4 PRO and going to the apex legends lobby. Or just searching on google...

So, I have a PS4 PRO Model 7215b and when I open the lobby of the game, my fan starts to make a loud sound and sometimes, due to it, my ps4 PRO suddenly turns off. It is a common error in the community and you can see a lot of players reporting this issue if you search on Google. I know this is a error cause by the game because my PS4 is new and when I play other games, in general, games that requieres more console performance, the fan is not as fast and loud as in the Apex Lobby. Obs: In game, in mean, during the match, my fan get silent.

WE NEED A PATCH TO SOLVE THIS PROBLEM. PLEASE, CONTACT WITH RESPAWN ABOUT IT!

Obs: Sorry for the bad english, its not my first language...

Message 6 of 9 (2,835 Views)

★★ Novice

Please report this issue to respawn. We need a patch to solve this problem...

Message 7 of 9 (2,760 Views)

★★ Novice

Cap the FPS to 60 please, it really shouldn't be that difficult

Message 8 of 9 (2,407 Views)

★★★ Guide

I launched the game after a 1 year break and the noise is worst than ever. My fan is running at 100% for sure.

I cleaned my PS4 Pro the other day and it was pretty clean already.

Message 9 of 9 (2,110 Views)