by tatermanB

Original Post

[NEEDS SAVES] Can't get Channel Surfer Trophy to unlock

[ Edited ]
★★ Novice

Product: The Sims 4
Platform:Sony Playstation 4
Which language are you playing the game in? English
How often does the bug occur? Every time (100%)
What is your current game version number? 1.12
What expansions, game packs, and stuff packs do you have installed? Backyard Stuff
Steps: How can we find the bug ourselves? Channel Surfer trophy will not unlock. Have used multiple Sims, gone through each station multiple times, it will not unlock.
What happens when the bug occurs? Nothing - the trophy will not unlock.
What do you expect to see? I expect to see my trophy pop after I've done what's asked of me.
Have you installed any customization with the game, e.g. Custom Content or Mods? On console - never used.
Did this issue appear after a specific patch or change you made to your system? Neutral/Not Sure 

Hello all,

I have been attempting to satisfy the Channel Surfer trophy for about 4 hours consecutively now, as it's one of the final trophies I need for PS4.

I have used two different Sims in this process, and with both Sims, have cycled them through the Television and Radio stations multiple times. Yes, I have the highest quality TV and the highest quality Radio, with the appropriate upgrades to ensure I receive every station.

All of the guides I have read regarding this trophy included the Backyard station. On a whim, and against my better judgment, I purchased the $10 expansion to attempt to unlock the trophy. The Backyard station doesn't even appear in my save. Keep in mind I did not start a new game - I loaded my old game and continued from where I was, hoping to listen to the Backyard station and have the trophy unlock. The station did not appear, so I purchased a new stereo, upgraded it again, and still no dice on the new channel. I thought maybe the game was so literal about the station I had to have the radio outside for this. No luck.

So, because of this, my only conclusion is that I will be forced to create a new save, level my Sim up to level 9 Handiness, and try again, this time with the Backyard channel - which shouldn't be a requirement for the trophy in the first place, but I really, really don't want to do this without a guarantee that it will work.

I have never used cheats, and I am on the back nine of these trophies, with only a few more career tracks and one last skill to master. Getting this trophy done now seems like the logical thing to do, since it's the only one that won't seem to work for me.

Can anybody help me?

Edit By Crinrict: Removed PS Tag, merged PC thread

Message 1 of 32 (12,849 Views)

Re: [PS4] Can't get Channel Surfer Trophy to unlock

★★ Novice

Nobody's got an idea?

I'll start a new save and level up to 9 Handiness and see if that gets me anywhere. Will report back with findings.

Message 2 of 32 (12,814 Views)

★★★ Novice

What did you find out? The trophy is glitched for me too on PS4, and I noticed only 0.3% of users have the trophy, compared to like 10 % on the xbox

Message 3 of 32 (12,615 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★ Novice

Hey all, 

Sorry about never getting back to this thread about it, I was able to unlock the trophy three literal months after I had posted this topic, and I had forgotten by then that I had asked for help here.

I can say, definitively, this is one of the most broken and aggravating trophies in the game. I cannot, for the life of me, tell you what I did so differently, but I can confirm that I did do this trophy on the new save file with level 9 handiness and kept a notepad on my computer checking off each individual station of TV and radio. I made sure to have plenty of food ready to go for my sim, and would make them watch/listen to each of the stations for at least an hour (in-game), so this took a few in-game days to get done. It helps to merge a household with the new sim and sell off all their stuff/remove family members for free cash so you can just ring up a pizza if need be.

There really is no definite strategy. I still believe I just got lucky because I kept cycling through each channel on the television, and it just randomly popped after I continued doing the same thing I'd been doing. I can also attest (from my trophy history) that I had basically quit this game for three months, submitting to the idea that I wouldn't get it. So, if you're really grinding for that plat...

Just keep flipping the channel, and don't give up. Good luck, y'all!

(Also, I believe Backyard was still not included on my radio on the second save. I want my $10 back, EA.)

Message 4 of 32 (12,583 Views)

Hero (Retired)

There's a trophy guide here you can use for reference. 

This guide here is specifically for this achievement. 

"You need to make sure you have ‘The Landlord Whisperer” radio purchased, but you can use any TV for this. When you can, you’ll want to install the “Super Reception” Upgrade onto both objects. This will unlock all of the Stations and Channels.

The list of Radio Stations is as follows:

• Alternative
  • Blues
  • Classical
  • Electronica
  • Kids Radio
  • Lullabies
  • Pop
  • Romance
  • Spooky
  • Winter Holiday
  • Retro (Unlocked after Upgrading)

The list of TV Channels is as follows:

• Action
  • Comedy
  • Cooking Channel
  • Kids Network
  • News
  • Romance
  • Sports
  • Fireplace (Unlocked after Upgrading)
  • Music TV (Unlocked after Upgrading)

Watch/listen to them all to unlock the trophy."

Make sure your sim is listening to the radio and cancels the first station and is listening to the next station before you queue up a new station to listen to on the radio. Same for the TV.

Message 5 of 32 (12,565 Views)

Trophies

★★★ Newbie

Product: The Sims 4
Platform:Sony Playstation 4
Which language are you playing the game in? English
How often does the bug occur? Occasionally (10% - 49%)
What is your current game version number? 1.23
What expansions, game packs, and stuff packs do you have installed? None
Steps: How can we find the bug ourselves? channel surfer achievement and all nighter
What happens when the bug occurs? I’ve stayed up multiple times past 24 hours. Did it for about 26 one time and almost 30 hours another time. Also have went through all channels and stations with multiple sims
What do you expect to see? The trophies to pop
Have you installed any customization with the game, e.g. Custom Content or Mods? Never used.
Did this issue appear after a specific patch or change you made to your system? No

My gamer tag is sluggardscroll7

Message 6 of 32 (12,571 Views)

Re: Trophies

Hero
@tgetz5 Merging this with another thread on this. Pleasee suggestions.

Do all other trophies work ?

Good Luck
Crin

Trennlinie

I don't work or have any association with EA. I give advice to the best of my knowledge and cannot be held responsible for any damage done to your computer/game.
Please only contact me via PM when asked to do so.

Important Threads

Message 7 of 32 (12,533 Views)

Channel surfer help plz

★★★ Novice

I’m trying to complete all the achievements and this one has me stuck. I’ve upgraded my tv and radio.

Ive listened to electronica, easy listening, classical, blues, alt, Americana, backyard, boroque, new age, lullabies, Latin, Latin pop, hip hop, island radio, jazz, kids radio, strange tunes, spooky, singer, s-pop, nudisco, pop, retro, romance, world, winter holiday, tween pop, summer strut and talk radio.

ive watched music, kids, fireplace, cooking, action, between, civic, comedy, world, weather, classics, news, politisim, romance and sports.

Am I missing something? 
Thanks in advance 

Message 8 of 32 (11,275 Views)

Re: Channel surfer help plz

Champion (Retired)

Hello  @maderson88 
It has been suggested to use "The Landlord Whisperer" stereo and the
"GeniusVision" television.

Are you on console?

Please see the tips in this thread.

[PS4] Can't get Channel Surfer Trophy to unlock
https://answers.ea.com/t5/Bug-Reports/PS4-Can-t-get-Channel-Surfer-Trophy-to-unlock/m-p/7393739#M837...

EQ Avid Sims Player
I do not work for EA but I do volunteer at AnswersHQ to help others with their game issues.
EAGameChanger - The Sims 4 Gallery Creator
Gallery Tag: #EQCreations
Message 9 of 32 (11,250 Views)

Re: Channel surfer help plz

★★★ Novice

Yeah I’m on PS4! 
I am also using both of those items 😭

Message 10 of 32 (11,231 Views)