Help us improve Answers HQ! Take Survey No, Thanks

[PLEASE READ] Information/Questions about the bug forum

by crinrict

Original Post

Re: Info.

[ Edited ]
Hero

As my batteries are currently very low in charge and it's still slow atm, I decided to take a break starting Friday Oct. 5th. for two weeks. I will be making sure that everything is up-to-date by then.

I will not check here at all. You might be getting answers from the QA, a CM or a fellow user but it will probably be mostly lack of answers. Please be patient during that time. I will take care of everything once I'm back.

If you need immediate help with something, post it in the tech forum instead of here: AHQ Sims 4 Tech. The tech forum is also for help with gameplay issues. Bugs are usually things that don't have immediate answers and need to be fixed by a patch. People in the tech forum can help you troubleshoot your game and if it's really a bug, you can always fill out the form later.

Please also to make this easier for everyone

Happy Gaming
Crin

Trennlinie

I don't work or have any association with EA. I give advice to the best of my knowledge and cannot be held responsible for any damage done to your computer/game.

Please only contact me via PM when asked to do so.

Important Threads

Message 41 of 57 (1,782 Views)

Hero

And I'm back.

Already went through all the threads and added questions and edited titles where QA hasn't yet done so.

Feel free to bump any threads I might have missed (no answer, no tag in the title)

Happy Gaming
Crin

Trennlinie

I don't work or have any association with EA. I give advice to the best of my knowledge and cannot be held responsible for any damage done to your computer/game.

Important Threads

Message 42 of 57 (1,517 Views)

Hero

Hi everyone and thanks all for your calm reports. Been a pleasure so far.

I will be updating the compiled list over the next few days (new items will be last to be added, except the popular ones that have been added to the popular now list).

So far I have removed all the ones that were fixed in the patch.

I will now go through all the ones that are labled with needs input.

Depending on how many me toos/posts they have, they might get removed from the list. I do this with every EP as to keep the list smallish and stuff easier to find. 

This does not mean, QA removes them as well. They have their own system on how to handle stuff and everything that was on the list has been forwarded to them already.

If you still have an issue that got removed, please feel free to bump it but only after you tested if it's actually still an issue. It's always good to know what the current status is, especially with really old issues. Sometimes patches ninja fix issues and they are no longer even an issue.

Let me know if you have any questions/concerns.

Happy Gaming
Crin

Trennlinie

Important Threads

Message 43 of 57 (1,274 Views)

Hero

Hi guys,

now that I've updated the list up to yesterday and we have so many new reporters, I wanted to explain a few things and make sure nothing gets missed

• I've added everything that has been duplicated by either many people, myself or trusted reporters to the list. Some now have an needs input tag or open, depending on whether it needs more input from fellow Simmers or not (me toos are always welcome, no matter the status)
  • Some issues are still in troubleshooting state cause I'm waiting for answers from the original reporter. Those either have no tag yet or are marked as troubleshoot
  • There's a long list of issues that have only very little reports/me toos and I haven't had a chance to take a look at them. Those are still labeled as [TO TEST] and have not been added. If you have any input or some time for testing, please go ahead and comment.
  • Some issues have been moved to tech because they were either mod issues or need serious troubleshooting (varies from Computer problems to save game corruption). It's easier to handle them in tech, especially since there's a lot of other helpers there. I don't have the capacity for troubleshooting much at this time.
  • Issues that are about texturing, buy/build, lighting or map looking bad are handled by @BryonyRae. She doesn't have as much time as I do so answers there might be slow. I'm really bat those things so I leave them to the people that know what they are talking about.
  • Everything has been forwarded to QA unless it looks like a mod issue or game corruption. Even if I ask questions or it still needs testing.
  • If your post hasn't been labeled yet, please check if it needs input from your side and answer. If there's no answer and no label (and it's older than 24 hours), please bump the thread. There have been so many threads so I can't guarantee that I haven't overlooked one.
  • Older issues that haven't been fixed in a long time: Please bump those. Add your experience. But only if they use the bug template. Make a new thread if they don't (linking the old would be great). 
  • This thread and other stickies also help you find your way around here. Don't be afraid to ask.

Hope that explains everything cause now I'm coming to the part where I need to say something. I usually don't make stuff about me, but I had enough. The majority of the people has been great to work with and what I'm about to say, does not apply to them but do try to put yourself in my shoes.

I'm really sick and tired of having to justly myself. Some people have been really rude (here and elsewhere), to me, to the devs/QA and to each other. I do this ON MY OWN TIME. I'm not compensated. I've put 6-8 hour days into this for over a week. Testing your bugs, trying to figure out what's wrong with games, trying to help you solve them and keeping the compiled list up to date. I had barely time to play my own game. So yeah, not happy this morning.

I get that you are frustrated about the bugs but that's not a reason to attack the person that tries to get your issue to the right people and help gather information. I don't add everything right away and some of the issues you're reporting are really not that game breaking. They only occur once on a very specific setting. Yes, those need more people actually having the issue. There's a time and resource restrict. No software is without bugs and every game out there has bugs that are not getting fixed. Simply because they don't cause enough issues to justify the time it takes to fix them. 

As I said above, your issues are forwarded (unless mods), no matter how rare/small they are but I need you guys to post more and me too more so they can be justified to fix. Hence I need your voices. I also need a criteria by which I can handle stuff and the best is: Amount of reports. I don't just label the way I feel like or have a dice ready to check what your threads going to get. 

It's not in my hands what the devs fix and what not. There have been issues fixed that I have been deemed by design (by the devs) or that just a few people had and was labeled as needs input. Those were probably easy fixes whereas others might take days to fix and hence can't be justified if 7 people say, it's an issue. Again: I can't make EA/Maxis fix anything. YOU can ... but only if it stays in a constructive way and if you're ready to help and provide further information.

Please also read this thread .. cause i don't like to repeat myself: https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/949954/ea-new-tech-and-help-is-useless#latest

If you have a problem with the way this forum is handled, feel free to privately contact either a community manager or myself. I also invite you to go look at some of the other bug forums around here. It's a different approach to bugs than here but it usually consist of no feedback and no direct involvement of QA in the forum (stuff is being forwarded and that's all you hear). 

I like our approach. I really do. I'm having fun helping you guys, figuring out problems but I'm one person. I even get tired after 8 hours of answering posts so yeah, sometimes .. especially towards the evening (I'm on CET), posts tend to get shorter. Still wanna give you an answer before I go to bed.

That said: I've also reached a decision. If you continue to be rude, I will start ignoring your posts. There's CM around that are actually paid for their work and QA reads here too. So I hope they see those posts. As said, I do this to enjoy myself and being attacked does not make me feel good.

With that, let's all continue reporting issues to the devs and keep our fingers crossed that the issues get fixed very soon. 

I also wanna thank all those people that have stepped up and explained to new folks how it works here. Always appreciate that.

I'm going to take the rest of the day off today and be back for you tomorrow.

Happy Thanksgiving to everyone that celebrates.

Happy Gaming
Crin

Trennlinie

Important Threads

Message 44 of 57 (1,204 Views)

★★★★ Novice
Thanks for your service Crin, first day here myself really and the amount of work/time you give for free is really incredible. Sorry on behalf of my fellow simmers for the stress.
Message 45 of 57 (1,129 Views)

Champion

@crinrict - I am amazed at the amount of time and work you put into this board. There aren't enough words to say how helpful and friendly you are (as are the other helpers on this board). After so much time and effort, it must be incredibly difficult to maintain a level of friendliness when people are rude and assign blame to you. 

Having experience in many forums here at EA and other game companies out there, I can say that this is the most organized and helpful bug report forum I have ever seen, and that is all you. Please don't let the angry flamers get to you. I think your plan of ignoring them is the only option. Thank you for all you do. 

Message 46 of 57 (1,069 Views)

Hero

Thank you both for your kind words :D

----------------------------

I was a bit busy elsewhere this week so stuff starts piling up more ... I've updated the list. 

Everything that's on the Testing List has been forwarded as well as everything else that I have added to the list.

If your issue hasn't been tagged, it's either because it's Buy/Build/Texture/Lighting which are handled a differently then the ones I'm doing or because they need further input from your side.

Everything console has been forwarded to the team. I can't attend to those as I don't have a console.

If your issue is not falling in any of these categories and has not been added/tagged, please bump them.

I have a few RL things to attend to next week (which have also been piling up, so I won't have much time for testing those issues on the list. If anyone wants to contribute, feel free to do so. 

Have a great Sunday everyone.

Happy Gaming
Crin

Trennlinie

Important Threads

Message 47 of 57 (1,014 Views)

[ Edited ]
Hero

Information for everyone that just puts latest or something along these lines in the patch version. The patch level is important for QA and latest isn't really that helpful

• For current posts they may seem enough info but if someone checks an older thread and just sees that, it can be anything.
  • The information is important for QA so they know on which patch level the issue occurred.
  • If you put latest, one needs to check the date of your post and then find out which patch number was current then. If you put the actual number, it makes so much easier.
  • There's several ways to find the current patch version: https://sims4.crinrict.com/en/2018/07/how-to-find-your-game-version-number/
  • If you are still really unsure what you have, post at least: latest as per <current date> .. still extra work but at least it's easier to find when latest was.

Thank you all for your cooperation.

Happy Gaming
Crin

Trennlinie

Important Threads

Message 48 of 57 (952 Views)

Hero

Pre-Announcement

After XMas ... if it doesn't get too crazy in here .. I will be doing an end-of-the-year clean-up of the list.

What does this mean ?

• Any threads that have < 10 me toos and no posts in over 6 month will be removed from the list
  • This does not mean, QA is no longer looking into them, it just means that I want to keep the list at a manageable size (which it's currently not) and hence removing threads that aren't that popular. QA have their own system on keeping track of issues and prioritizing them.
  • Some issues might even be ninja-fixed and hence no longer an issue which is why they have no echo. Those def. don't need to be on the list.
  • I will keep them on their current status to show that they are not officially fixed. You're welcome to bump them again if you run into the issue and I will put them back.
  • If you feel strongly about an issue that fulfills above criteria, make sure to test if it's still an issue and bump if it is. This will prevent it from getting removed from the list.
  • There may be a few exceptions to the rule
  • I will probably bump a few threads if they have > 10 me toos but no answers in a long while to find out if it's still an issue. Any input/help you can give with these will be great.
  • If you have reported something and no longer see it in your game, it would actually be great if you could bump those thread and say so. Also helps a lot.

Thank you all for your cooperating and lets hope for many more fixes and less new issues.

Happy Gaming
Crin

Trennlinie

Important Threads

Message 49 of 57 (923 Views)

Re: [PLEASE READ] Information/Questions about the bug forum

[ Edited ]
Hero

Good Morning and Happy New Year to everyone

starting with 2019, there's going to be some changes in this forum cause I want to concentrate on my blog more and other stuff and do less AHQ. I've done it for 6.5 years and it's getting a bit like a must-do and a like-to-do. I want to go back to like-to-do.

The closing of the help section of the officials has brought a great deal of changes, most for the better but there's also some pet-peeves that I'd like to reduce for myself. I will probably do some more adjustments over the coming weeks but for now, this is how I'm going to proceed (remember, I don't work for EA, I don't have any influence on what gets fixed and what not and they have their own system, so don't be afraid that your issue/post will be overlooked, it's always valuable)

1. Testing: I will no longer be testing issues. There might be exceptions to this rule but I have no fun in doing this and it's just tedious. There's a whole community out there. Let's do the testing together. If you see something that you also have or that you like to test, please do so and add your voice. The [TO TEST] Tag will be largely removed because of this and I will tag new threads with NEEDS INPUT and add to the list, unless I think it's mods or corruption or an issue that needs troubleshooting. These issues will be forwarded to QA.
  2. Troubleshooting: As other helpers don't really check the bug forum, I will be moving more threads to the tech forum, if I think they need troubleshooting. This does not mean that it's not a bug and won't be moved back later, I just think all other factors need to be ruled out (computer, mods, corruption) and troubleshooting is better of in the tech forum.
  3. Needs Input/Open: These issues have been added to the list and forwarded. Any info you have is great but they are mostly not of interest to me cause I can't do anything about it. Because of this, I will no longer read these posts. The info is still great to QA but don't expect an answer from me. There's of course also exceptions to the rules if an issue peaks my interest. Be aware that if you post in a thread that's unrelated to your issue, your post might get overlooked. Keep to the issue at hand. If you have a different one and you don't know if there's another thread, create a new one. I can always merge with existing threads. 
  4. Needs Saves/Input: Those are threads that need input and saves from the community. I will check those to make sure no info is lost. These are marked in red on the compiled list.
  5. Buy/Build Mode/Lighting/Textures: This is @BryonyRae domain. She handles stuff differently. Answers here might be slow.
  6. Workarounds: Sometimes mods and workarounds are posted and with the new system, I might actually not see them. Please tag me (@crinrict) if you found one of those so I can mark the thread accordingly or even add to my blog. Same if you found a mod that fixes the issue. We're not allowed to link mods here but you can name them and I can get the word out through social media/my blog.
  7. Checking Saves: If I asked you for a save, I will be checking cause it's an issue that made me curious. If QA asks themselves, I won't be checking.
  8. Complied List: The list will be kept up-to-date as is. I'll add new threads on a regular basis and remove fixed ones after patches. I will also do a half-yearly clean-up where old issues (no activity in 6 month) will be removed. Issues that are currently Needs Input might be changed to Open and vice versa, depending on the amount of activity they get. I'll explain about the difference between the two again below. The list has nothing to do with how QA works. The compiled list is basally an index of existing current threads. Nothing more, nothing less.
  9. New Threads: I will continue to read all new issues and merge where necessary but please, do check the compiled list before create a new thread. The list is sorted by category and pack. If you don't find something in a decent amount of time, don't be afraid to make a new one.
  10. Tagging: Please don't go overboard with tagging me. You can tag me if you found a workaround or a mod or if you think you found some important info that for sure needs to get to QA but please be mindful. Don't tag me to ask if something will be fixed or when or if I have new info. If I have information to share, I will do so.
  11. Rant and Threads with multiple issues: I will no longer read or forward any threads that suggest being a rant or have multiple issues posted in one thread. I'm unable to process them properly. If you're a first time reporter, you will of course be pointed in the right direction but if you're a regular, I kinda expect you to know how I work.

I know there's also people out there that have issues with creating threads in here. The bug template can be a pain. What can you do if you just can't get the submit button to show or if the report just doesn't send ?

• Double check if you fill out ALL the fields. This includes the comment field. You must write something, a picture is not enough. If it's still not showing even though you wrote something, try adding a few spaces or change to the HTML tab and back.
  • Make sure you're language is set to English. Certain fields don't have values if you don't do that
  • If you still can't get the submit button to show, post in the tech forum instead. Try to c/p the form from your failed attempt here and make sure to tag me so I can move your thread over and fill out the form for you.  Do state in your post that you tried to post in the bug forum but had issues doing so. The tech forum does not need a template and hence is easier to post in. Please DO NOT PM me or post in a random thread

That's all for now. Hoping for a enjoyable 2019 :D

Happy Gaming
Crin

Trennlinie

Important Threads

Message 50 of 57 (635 Views)

Need help?

We’re happy to help with your account, troubleshooting, and gameplay questions.

Contact us on EA Help

fifa-19-promo-splash

Having trouble connecting to your game?

Try these steps first to clear up any problems you may have when connecting to an EA game.

Troubleshoot and test your connection

ea-help-promo

Forget your EA Account ID or password?

Reset, update, or link your account information.

View More on EA Help