Are you using any software with an overlay? Yes
If yes, can you list them here? GeForce Experience, Steam
If you disable this software, does that have any effect? No
Which part of the game is the issue happening in? Game Menu
In which game menu were you when the bug occurred? All of them
Please select your region North America
On which server did this happen? Not applicable
When did this happen? (dd.mm.yy hh:mm) Since launch - ongoing
Summarize your bug When I load into the game my configuration settings aren't saved. It either deletes my resolution and refresh rate information, or completely deletes my configuration settings and requires me to replay the intro mission and calibrate all of the initial configurations.
How often does the bug occur? Often (50% - 99%)
Steps: How can we find the bug ourselves? Not sure.
What happens when the bug occurs? I have to reset all my configuration settings.
What should be happening instead? It should save my configuration settings.

On PC, bought and launched through Steam. The game often deletes either only my resolution and refresh rate settings or my entire configuration on launch. Not every time, but almost every time I have to reset my resolution and refresh rate. Then, once in a while, it completely deletes my configuration settings and I have to start over like it's the first time I play the game - go through the accessibility menus, and play the intro mission, watch the video, etc.

Message 1 of 13 (769 Views)

Accepted Solution

Re: PC configuration settings deleted

Community Manager
Hey @MisterBoh,

Is it possible that you maybe have something like OneDrive, Google Drive or Dropbox installed on your PC where you make automatic back-ups with of your My Documents folder?
Constant changing or disappearing settings makes me believe that something could be 'guarding' your My Documents folder and therefore not allowing the game to save the settings.
EA_LeeuwAHQ

View in thread

Message 2 of 13 (734 Views)

All Replies

Community Manager
Hey @MisterBoh,

Is it possible that you maybe have something like OneDrive, Google Drive or Dropbox installed on your PC where you make automatic back-ups with of your My Documents folder?
Constant changing or disappearing settings makes me believe that something could be 'guarding' your My Documents folder and therefore not allowing the game to save the settings.
EA_LeeuwAHQ
Message 2 of 13 (735 Views)

★★ Novice

This is a good thought Leeuw, thank you. I checked OneDrive and Dropbox. OneDrive was currently logged out so I logged in and it's set to back up - I wonder if when it's logged in it's trying to restore something that doesn't exist. I disabled sync of Documents and I'll see if that works.

Message 3 of 13 (726 Views)

★★ Novice

Alright.

I figured it out - you were right.

My Father came to visit over Thanksgiving here in the US and messed around with my computer while I was at work. Apparently he somehow set up Onedrive for an Excel spreadsheet or something.

It moved my files to onedrive/documents and my /documents folder is/was empty. I deleted OneDrive and copied the files from onedrive/documents to documents and all is well. Thanks again for your help.

Message 4 of 13 (717 Views)

Community Manager
@MisterBoh, no worries, I am very glad it is working again as it should! :D Happy gaming!
EA_LeeuwAHQ
Message 5 of 13 (712 Views)

★★★ Newbie

The solution doesn't help me. I have neither ONe Drive or Google Drive installed. I had the same problem with the beta.

A friend sent me a copy of his folder and it didn't help.

I do not see a BF2042 folder in my Documents folder. So I guess the game isn't creating it for some reason?

Message 6 of 13 (679 Views)

Community Manager
Hey @win4649,

This sounds like a totally different issue. This more sounds like the game does not have write permissions in your My Documents folder. This could be related to something called "controlled access": https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/87858-add-protected-folders-controlled-folder-access-windows-10-...
EA_LeeuwAHQ
Message 7 of 13 (659 Views)

★★ Novice

I have the same issue but it happens once every two weeks or so. Never had it during Beta, but have had it 4-5 times since launch... all settings are defaulted, have to watch the intro tutorial... I don't have OneDrive, Dropbox, Google Drive, or anything of that nature. I'm not even running an anti-virus while playing the game. It just randomly resets everything from time to time. Very frustrating.

Message 8 of 13 (591 Views)

Community Manager
Hey @sssskittlessss,

This could also have something to do with Origin sync messing with your settings file. Can you try the following?

- Open Origin and login with the correct account
- Go to Origin settings and disable Cloud Saves
- Boot BF2042 and change the settings again to what you want it to change to
- Close BF2042 and reboot PC
- Open Origin and BF2042 again and see if the settings are still there
- Play like this for some time and check if it resets again
- If it doesn't reset, turn Origin Cloud Saves back on
EA_LeeuwAHQ
Message 9 of 13 (577 Views)

★★ Novice
@EA_Leeuw Will try and let you know. Thanks for the advice!
Message 10 of 13 (550 Views)

ea-play-promo-splash

What's EA Play?

New name, new look, same great benefits: EA Access and Origin Access are now EA Play.

Get more info on the change here.

ea-help-promo-3

Forget your EA Account ID or password?

Reset, update, or link your account information.

View more on EA Help