PC -Origin's overlay (Shift + F1) is active even when disabled (Performance)

by SZett

Original Post

PC -Origin's overlay (Shift + F1) is active even when disabled (Performance)

[ Edited ]
★★ Novice

Product: Battlefield 2042
Platform:PC
Please specify your platform model. PC
AMD or Nvidia Model Number 6900XT
Enter RAM memory size in GB 32
Are you using any software with an overlay? Yes
If yes, can you list them here? Origin - thats the point of this report
If you disable this software, does that have any effect? Yes
Which part of the game is the issue happening in? Multiplayer
Which part of the mode? Conquest
Please select your region Europe
On which server did this happen? Every
When did this happen? (dd.mm.yy hh:mm) 30.11.2021
Summarize your bug Origin overlay (Shift + F1) is active even when fully disabled in OriginSettings. There is no "casual" way to disable it. If disabled by not loading/deleting the .dll inside of origin the game runs much smoother. This has to be fixed, I use a beefy mashine but can tell the differnece, two friends reported much better frametime stability und less laggy gameplay, too. Please reproduce this and apply thiis easy fix. I bet the overlay is active for every PC Player even when we were sure to have it diabled for performance reasons. Nobody has to be forced to use a overlay. On some configurations overlays have a massive impact.
How often does the bug occur? Every time (100%)
Steps: How can we find the bug ourselves? Disable the Overlay in Origins main settings and Origins game settings. Open the game, press Shift + F1. See the now visable Origin overlay that keept waiting for key inputs since we installed the game.
What happens when the bug occurs? Worse perfomance compared to no overlay.
What should be happening instead? Overlay should be not loaded in game if we disable it.

Origins overlay (Shift + F1) ist active even when disabled, There is a smoothness/performance impact.

Message 1 of 5 (1,152 Views)

Re: PC -Origin's overlay (Shift + F1) is active even when disabled (Performance)

Champion

Yes, I noticed this, too. In the meantime, you should bind SHIFT + F1 to something very difficult (practically impossible) to combo hit while in-game to prevent accidentally hitting the keys. I do SHIFT + Pause. I also set the Windows shortcut right below the Origin In-Game keyboard shortcut to something obscure, too (i.e. SHIFT + Scroll Lock).

If you found this post helpful, please leave XP.
If you disagree, please leave a comment.
Either way, it helps to make the post more informative.

I like game design - from itty bitty bugs to big ideas.
I don't work for EA.

Join us on our Easter Egg hunt.
Message 2 of 5 (1,131 Views)

Re: PC -Origin's overlay (Shift + F1) is active even when disabled (Performance)

EA DICE Team

@SterlingARCH3R @SZett  

If you go to game properties, the first new window you can disable Origin in the game and that should work. 

image.png

/Atic

Message 3 of 5 (1,096 Views)

Champion

@EA_Atic 

Thanks I just remembered that there's a setting for each game, too lol, in case one wants to disable Origin In-Game for all games except for some.

If you found this post helpful, please leave XP.
If you disagree, please leave a comment.
Either way, it helps to make the post more informative.

I like game design - from itty bitty bugs to big ideas.
I don't work for EA.

Join us on our Easter Egg hunt.
Message 4 of 5 (1,074 Views)

★★ Novice

Hi, thanks for your quick reply. But: Did you press Shift+F1 in the game yourself after disabling it in both places? ;-)

Im asking, because the overlay still pops up (Shift + F1) ingame. Thats for me (Play Pro) and a friend (buyed Version)... even when disabled in origin's global- AND in this individual per game setting. That's the reason I opend this report. Is it just for us, or for everone? ;-)

Only renaming the overlays corresponding .dll file in origins install folder prevented the overlay from beeing loaded and active all the time. Thats no nice "fix" for the typical user. 

The overlay is active in the background even when the shortcut is not pressed (...waiting for the shortcut). So just changing the hotkeys does not improve the performance.

The game decides itself to load the .dll inside origin, it seems. No matter what the settings in Origin are. This should not be the case. It 100% affects performance on my System.

Please look into it.

Message 5 of 5 (1,059 Views)

ea-play-promo-splash

What's EA Play?

New name, new look, same great benefits: EA Access and Origin Access are now EA Play.

Get more info on the change here.

ea-help-promo-3

Forget your EA Account ID or password?

Reset, update, or link your account information.

View more on EA Help