Outrageous matchmaking in TW

★★★ Newbie

Product: Star Wars: Galaxy of Heroes
Platform:Apple iPhone
What type of device are you experiencing the issue with? iPhone 8
OS Version 13.5.1
Ally Code: (Find it here: http://bit.ly/AllyCode ) 781-784-525
What type of issue do you have? Gameplay
How often does the bug occur? Often (50% - 99%)
Summarize your bug Matchmaking in TW is outrageous (see attached) : 34 more GL, 9 more JK Luke... what can we do ? Do you want us to stop playing your game ? how do you want to keep players if you don't give them a chance to fight and win... UNBELIEVABLE The last TW was the same...
Steps: How can we find the bug ourselves? Just check our matchmaking, and maybe review your algorithm
Connection Type Wifi
Please select your region Europe
Country FRANCE

Guilds : Delirium vs Warriors of Echo

Capture d’écran 2020-07-12 à 22.47.36.png
Message 1 of 9 (637 Views)

Accepted Solution

Re: Outrageous matchmaking in TW

EA Live QV Team

Hi @Lamjer and thank you for the report.

We've checked your recent matchmaking for the Territory War and it appears to be correct. We will raise your concerns regarding the difference in Galactic Legends to the team.

View in thread

Message 2 of 9 (581 Views)

All Replies

EA Live QV Team

Hi @Lamjer and thank you for the report.

We've checked your recent matchmaking for the Territory War and it appears to be correct. We will raise your concerns regarding the difference in Galactic Legends to the team.

Message 2 of 9 (582 Views)

★★★ Newbie

This has been happening to our guild for far too long. Something must be done to change your algorithm. As a guild of 174M GP, we are constantly matched with guilds 30 to 40 to 50 MILLION GP higher then us. This matchmaking IS outrageous and continues to be. How can you match a 174M guild against a guild 220M GP?? On a regular basis the difference in GP averages out to 25 MILLION GP between us and them. ONE TW win in the last TWENTY because of these Constant mis-matches.

As long as you are raising your concerns with the team, please pass along our combined absolute disgust with this experience.

Speaking for my whole Guild, Dirty Little Jawas.

TheGrimm

Message 3 of 9 (502 Views)

@TheGrimm7777 Keep in mind that even if the opposing guild is 50M GP higher than yours, not the entire guild registered for the TW.

It's a common misconception because comparison bots can't tell you which players joined the tw do they always compare the whole guilds.

Instead, the total Gp of your joined members should be within 1M of their joined members. You can get an idea of the total number of players by looking at the number of squads allowed per zone. If you double that number, you'll know the number of registered players in the guild with fewer registered players, +\-1.

[ Edited ]
★★★★ Apprentice

Joined members is largely irrelevant when the GL difference is 40 to 6.  Even if half the people with GLs don't join, the guild wouold still be outnumbered more than 3 to 1 in GLs.  There's no way to win that type of mismatch in TW - let alone the one that is actually occurring.  

These types of mismatches have been happening as long as GLs have been in the game and guilds are not matched by number of active participants.  EA's data shows this and has.  I honestly think they care very little about close matches in TW or GAC.  If they did, these horrible mismatches, which occur more often than not, woould have been addressed months ago.

Message 5 of 9 (422 Views)

@Nikoms565 It’s like this with every meta character though. When Jedi Revan was released, if your guild,had 5-10 more than the other guild, it was a blowout.

Matchmaking has never taken individual characters into account. I commented about the joined members, because we frequently see complaintw about bad matchmaking, and they reference a huge GP disparity - which indicates an incomplete understanding of the process.

The more criteria you add, the harder it is to match.

The goal of matchmaking isn’t necessarily to have the most “even” fights every round. Should a highly efficient guild with premium players that focused their farming into GLs be rewarded with easier matchups? Or should they be forced to always fight a guild that has similar GL, regardless of its GP?

[ Edited ]
★★★★ Apprentice

Two quick points:

1) In GAC, at least according to CG, the point is, indeed, "close matches".  

2) I understand the process regarding GP (in GAC, GP of top 80, etc.).  The problem is that GP clearly is not a good indicator of unit/team performance.  The fact that a zeta on QGJ and GAS both count the same toward total GP makes it clear that GP, as a basis for matchmaking (or anything really) is a completely meaningless number.  This is only made worse by the fact that EA/CG have multiple units (and now, even a new game mode in Galactic Challenges) that requires multiple characters - many of whom are otherwise not useful - to be at certain relic levels.  Those then, end up also creating massive GP bloat, both on an individual and guild basis.

TL;DR - I understand how the system works.  My point is that any system that continually yields this many mismatches (both in TW and GAC) as consistently as it does, is broken.

And as far as a "rewarding" strong guilds with easy matchups in TW.  Why in the world would that be the goal?  They already reap the rewards of those premium characters in every other aspect of the game (TB, arena, raids, etc.).  Honestly, if EA/CG ever stated that was the goal of TW and GAC, I'd leave the game in a heartbeat.

Message 7 of 9 (375 Views)

@Nikoms565 I’d mentioned the GP discrepancy, because the poster before you was highlighting the terrible “50 MILLION” gap - demonstrating that he didn’t understand the matchmaking process.

I don’t know how many guilds exist, and I’ve never seen statistics on how many “mismatches” exist, especially since it’s a very subjective determination.

I guess “deserve an easy match” was not the correct term. I think about matchmaking evenness in terms of guild efficiency.

Imagine a guild with all new players and they decide to farm only GLs and nothing else. My GL + prereqs is about 800k when all is said and done. So a full guild with only those units would have 50 GL and a gp of about 40.6M. That would be insanely efficient. How many 40M guilds do you think will have any Gl, much less 50?

On the opposite end of the spectrum you could have a 40M guild full of lvl 85 g7 characters and ships with lots of zetas and no meta toons.

The 50 GL guild will always be matched against 40M guilds that are weaker, and the terrible guild will always be matched against 40M guilds that are stronger. They are going to be opposite ends of the efficiency spectrum.

All the other 40M guilds would fall somewhere in between - an the closer they are to the 50GL guild, the more likely they are to face a weaker guild. The closer they are to the bad guild, the more likely they are to face a stronger guild.

So if you find your guild constantly matched against really strong guilds....its likely that your guild is on he lower end of quality efficiency for your GP.

★★★ Newbie

As a volunteer. I appreciate your response but this doesn't change anything. Looking at the numbers for the TW that began today (attack phase) Aug 23, 2020. Their slots show the same as ours, 19.  From what youve stated this would imply around the same number of people joined the TW from each guild. Yet we are matched up, again, with a guild that is FORTY MILLION higher GP than us. FORTY MILLION! If only 38 of their players joined as opposed to our 46, to equal out the group GP, we would still be, and are being, outclassed by much stronger squads. I cannot emphasize how demoralizing this is to the group that I am trying to lead. All of them disgusted at the state we see every single TW. My guys deserve medals for keeping up the effort they have been, but all are coming to the realization that its just wasted time. Time that could be spent doing other things. Also the realization that we don't have to participate at all and would still collect the same rewards.  Why put in all that group effort if doing nothing at all nets you the same Rewards? This discussion is happening now in our guild chat btw if we will be participating at all anymore.

Message 9 of 9 (301 Views)