Original Post

On-screen text in madden 19

★★ Apprentice

Product: Madden NFL 19
Platform:Microsoft XBOX One
I want to talk about something you don't mention above:
How accessible is the current experience? I can use parts of it
Summarize what in the product is difficult to use. On-screen text
How is this making it more difficult? When you are totally blind and you need to get information such as injury reports, financial information, stats, standings and more without some way to get at the information, it is impossible
How can we reproduce this experience? Have your team sit around the screen and navigate to the finances section, then while blind folded, try and read the information. Then, launch the xbox ap, and with the free NVDA screen reader, ocr the screen with Insert plus r, or Capslock + r.

Let me first  start by thanking the developers at EA for making the game as accessible  as it is at present. However, while this should probably go under the heading of spoken menus, having the text read or having a way to read it, is important. Text for things such as stats, standings, injuries, finances, news,  and other information is not presented  in a way that a blind person playing on a gaming console can access. While Microsoft  has included Narrator for the xbox, and windows 10 PCS,  game developers have not yet taken advantage    of this screen reading technology. While spoken menus for the entire game  at this point are not in the works,  and a gradual  inclusion  is the direction is taking, a bigger issue at present is the ability to get at crutial text on the screen.  Again, as mentioned, it is impossible to obtain information such as financial information,  injuries,  and other vital info without using OCR with NVDA. This requires that your xbox ap is streaming your xbox content,  and even then, the results can be at best, good and at worst, impossible to make out. I hope in a future update, or future version of madden,  strides can be made in this area.  I once again want to thank everyone at EA, and especially Karren Stevens,  for getting the issues out there. I look forward to hearing from all of you.

Message 1 of 2 (973 Views)

Re: On-screen text in madden 19

★ Apprentice

I agree with this. I just spent an hour on mut going through my players chemistries and whether or not they needed upgrading, and I only stopped because I got bored. A way to quickly read the text there as well as other text on the screen instead of spamming OCR would be fantastic.

Message 2 of 2 (925 Views)