by felker_s

Original Post

Obi-Wan's Restrictive Mind Trick is not so restrictive

[ Edited ]
★★★ Pro

Product: Star Wars Battlefront II
Platform:Microsoft XBOX One
What is your issue related to? General
Summarize your bug Restrictive Mind Trick doesn't always prevent opponents from using abilities.
What is your gamertag/PSN ID/EA Account name?
How often does the bug occur? Often (50% - 99%)
Can you tell us the date (MM/DD/YYYY) that you saw the bug?
What time did you see the bug? (HH:MM AM/PM)
In what game mode did the bug occur? Heroes vs. Villains
What is your time zone?
Steps: How can we find the bug ourselves? Use Restrictive Mind Trick on your opponents and watch their actions.
What happens when the bug occurs? Enemies use abilities while under the effect of the mind trick.
What do you expect to see?
Please select your region Europe
AMD or Nvidia Model Number

This has been a problem since Obi-Wan's release. I'm not talking about questionable instances where your opponent has already started to use the ability right when you used mind trick - I mean those when the status effect is still written above them and they launch abilities regardless.

Clip1 - Maul ignores the status effect and throws me with Choke Hold (also great example of a cancelled out, "half-performed" ability that gets put on cooldown for no reason at 0:12)

Clip2 - Kylo uses Frenzy right after I supposedly prevent him from doing so.

Message 1 of 12 (3,483 Views)

Re: Obi-Wan's Restrictive Mind Trick is not so restrictive

★★★★★ Expert

@felker_s you're totally right. I've seen this not long after Obi-Wan was introduced, but as I never play Obi, many times I wasn't really sure if his Mind Trick had really failed to stop my abilities from being used. But after more gameplay I saw it clearly happening.

Unfortunately I don't think I have any clips of this happening, but if I stumble upon one I'll bring it here.

Now that his Mind Trick stays for longer, I believe it'll be easier for people to realise this happening as Obi's enemy, and bring footage here. Footage from Obi's perspective is good, but as you reminded us, there are many ways abilities can happen seemingly during the effect of Mind Trick, and there's also the possibility of thinking you got an enemy with Mind Trick but you didn't. OTOH, if an enemy is affected by mind trick, he'll be sure if its effect applied to his abilities or not. In my experience of this BUG, the movement restriction applies, the sound effect also aplies, but my abilities aren't greyed out and can be used at will.

Message 2 of 12 (3,404 Views)

★★★ Pro

"In my experience of this BUG, the movement restriction applies, the sound effect also aplies, but my abilities aren't greyed out and can be used at will."

Exactly. I've never seen the movement restriction bugging out, either. However, I do remember instances where I used my abilities while under the effect of the mind trick.

Message 3 of 12 (3,369 Views)

★★★★★ Expert

I got this clip from @6_nyxxoy_9 :

The first part shows more of the same: enemies using abilities while under the effect of Restrictive Mind Trick. The second part OTOH shows the perspective of the target: Vader gets affected by Restrictive Mind Trick, the sound effect is noticeable, but his abilities are usable and he uses his Saber Throw.

In their testings they think it may be caused by affecting enemies while they are fallen. This isn't the case with Maul in the first part of this clip, but it's the case of Vader in the second. I have some ideas on how to reproduce this BUG on purpose and I'll test them out next time I do my round of tests.

Message 4 of 12 (3,321 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★★★ Expert

I managed to reproduce this on Arcade Splitscreen. I still need to do more tests to try to make a broader assumption, but both when enemies are fallen, and when Maul and Vader have just used their throws, if Kenobi performs a mind trick on them, their abilities will become available long before the end of the effect of Mind Trick. Actually, it seems they just get back to work by the usual time they would get back to work after performing such actions.

Standing up and using a saber throw temporarily disables all your skills, and they become available after a shot time. If the mind trick is performed while the abilities are disabled due to these states, then they'll become available again just as they would if Mind trick wasn't used. However, the dodge ability will still be unavailable, and the character's animation and sound effects related to mind trick will still be played for the normal duration.

I tried this with their dodges, but neither Maul, nor Vader, nor Iden could be affected during their dodges. Vader and Maul couldn't be affected during the use of any other skills. As all of these mentioned here don't disable ALL abilities (just one or two, or in some cases none) while they are used, maybe this happens only during effects that disable all abilities.

My free time ended today, so I'll have to leave the rest for another day. And as I was uncovering this BUG, as usual, I discovered another BUG I was completely unaware of: Iden's Shock Droid have some weird behavior when charging it. If you remain holding her Shock Droid button for long enough, it'll eventually fire the droid off to the distance, and may hit people whenever they are in the map. I still have to test a lot of things here to discover how this works, but I saw it happening, and could reproduce in Splitscreen how many times I wanted.

Message 5 of 12 (3,238 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★★★ Expert

So I managed to do more tests today and the BUG does happen with any character if it's affected by Restrictive Mind Trick while ragdolling around or standing up. As soon as those states end and the character is supposed to have its abilities available again, they will become available even if Restrictive Mind Trick is still in effect. The dodge won't refresh like this, and will stay deactivated due to Restrictive Mind Trick until its effects wear off. The sound effect and target player animations associated with Restrictive Mind Trick will also play normally until the end of its effect.

Now testing all the Dark Side Villains Abilities, only Maul's and Vader's Saber Throws can trigger this BUG. I tried every other ability, including their dodges, and none of these trigger the BUG. I even tried the Deathtrooper, but none of his abilities nor his dodge trigger this BUG. I can't be sure for all other reinforcements, nor all troopers with their multiple abilities.

This BUG is here since Obi-Wan was released, but only now we're starting to uncover how it behaves.

@EA_Ataashi @EA_Blueberry @EA_Atic 
I think these findings should be shared with the team. Maybe it'll help them fix this once and for all.

To all players using Obi-Wan though, don't use Restrictive Mind Trick on enemies that are being pushed around, ragdolling in the air or in the ground, nor characters that are still standing up, or the most important aspect of this skill won't work, which is its effect of disabling the enemies' abilities. Also be aware to not use it as soon as Vader or Maul throw their sabers. This will increase the chances that Restrictive Mind Trick works correctly.

EDIT: To show this properly

Although it's small, you can see Palpatine being affected by Restrictive Mind Trick while fallen, and his abilities instantly become available as he stands up, and to show it I use 2 of them. There's no audio here, but the audio effect for mind trick was playing normally, and I couldn't dodge.

Message 6 of 12 (3,207 Views)

★★★★★ Expert

I got 2 more cases to add as GIFs:

Here you can see that using Restrictive Mind Trick during the saber throws will also trigger this BUG

Message 7 of 12 (3,199 Views)

EA DICE Team

Thanks for all the hard work you have done @RogueZeroRendar  @felker_s . 

I have sent this on to the team to take a look at! 

/Atic 

Message 8 of 12 (3,178 Views)

★★★★ Novice

I experience this bug regularly in Heroes v Villains on PS4. Most recent occurrence was yesterday, 9/10/19 on PS4.

Message 9 of 12 (3,074 Views)

★ Guide

It also doesn't seem to work with the Instant Action AI. 

Message 10 of 12 (2,918 Views)