by katherinebclaude

Original Post

[NEEDS SAVES] [OR] Campfire causes too many fires

[ Edited ]
★★★ Newbie

Product: The Sims 4
Platform:PC
Which language are you playing the game in? English
How often does the bug occur? Often (50% - 99%)
What is your current game version number? 1.70.84.1020
What expansions, game packs, and stuff packs do you have installed? Island Living, Seasons, Cats and Dogs, City living, Get Together, Get to Work, Realm of Magic, Strangerville, Jungle Adventure, Parenthood, Vampires, Outdoor Retreat, Nifty Knitting, Vintage Glamour, Cool Kitchen.
Steps: How can we find the bug ourselves? Play any sim with a campfire, try roasting something and watch as they light themselves ablaze over and over.
What happens when the bug occurs? The campfire in sims 4 is useless. 50-90% of the time, my sims start their chairs on fire. this is especially bad when I'm trying to complete the history challenge, because it's their only way of cooking. Comparatively, campfires in real life don't start chairs on fire every time they are used. Every meal, someone ends up catching on fire. This is bad because A) They die or B) They lose money or C) They lose their mood ...or D) They lose their dinner as it becomes an ash pile. This last one is especially frustrating because my sims spend a lot of time fishing for their meals, only to become ash piles with hungry sims. I'm not sure if this is a bug or just a fun game for the gamemakers of sims, but something that is supposed to be "fun" shouldn't be wreaking havoc in my gameplaying so often. One last thing, I've read this has something to do with my sims' cooking level, and they have been cooking for ages, their cooking levels are medium-level, and they catch on fire just as often as when they started. This doesn't seem to be connected to their cooking level for me. I have also been told to move the chairs away, but then they can't roast anything. Lastly, things are MORE likely to catch on fire if somebody throws another log on the fire. 1) This is stupid gameplaying because sims do this autonomously. 2) The likelihood of catching fire when tossing a log on the fire is WAY too high. 3) My sims still catch fire even when they don't throw a new log on the fire. Why make an ENTIRE expansion pack based on something you do around the campfire if it's just going to burn my sims alive and make gameplaying more stressful for me? I literally do not want to play this game anymore.
What do you expect to see? Sims not catching on fire and using a campfire without their chairs catching on fire. Maybe this can happen 10% of the time, or it needs to be tweaked so that they are less likely to burn themselves to death.
Have you installed any customization with the game, e.g. Custom Content or Mods? Yes
Did this issue appear after a specific patch or change you made to your system? No

Envision Sims burning alive whilst roasting a fish on the campfire. Now envision it Every. Single. Time.

Edit By Crinrict: Added Tag to Title

Message 1 of 20 (5,106 Views)

Rocks of Fire Continuously catch fire

★★★ Guide

Product: The Sims 4
Platform:PC
Which language are you playing the game in? English
How often does the bug occur? Often (50% - 99%)
What is your current game version number? current
What expansions, game packs, and stuff packs do you have installed? EPs: Get To Work, GT, GF, Seasons, IL, C&D, and CL. GPs: Strangerville, JA, Parenthood, DO, Spa, OR. SP: bowling, fitness, kids room, laundry day, movie hangout, 1st pet, toddler, vintage glamour, backyard, moschino. Gift: Holiday, Guitar
Steps: How can we find the bug ourselves? Have Rocks of Fire on home lot. Have Weenie Roast Event
What happens when the bug occurs? Sims catch on fire over and over. At this party three sims caught on fire and one died
What do you expect to see? No one catches on fire. Rocks of fire do not catch on fire.
Have you installed any customization with the game, e.g. Custom Content or Mods? Yes
Did this issue appear after a specific patch or change you made to your system? No

Sim had a weenie roast on a natural park lot, no problems with the Rocks of Fire. So I scheduled another weenie roast on the home lot. The rocks of fire caught fire, sim caught fire. Took 3x to put out fire, replaced chair twice. Then another sim caught fire (a teen) and a child caught fire. No action to put the child out. Sadly the child burned to death. Was a neighbor's child.

CC/Mods have no impact. I've had this issue in the past from when I first purchased OR. I thought it was fixed, but apparently, when you use Rocks of Fire or Roast 'em toast 'em campfire they always catch on fire. My sim is a food critic high level of cooking so nothing should catch on fire. Especially when last sim week no one caught fire at the national park lot I created in Willowbrook

Message 2 of 20 (4,869 Views)

Re: Rocks of Fire Continuously catch fire

★★★ Guide

Also the sim has a buff for a pet dying. A pet did not die.sims mourning.png

Message 3 of 20 (4,867 Views)

Re: [OR] Campfire causes too many fires

[ Edited ]
★★ Pro

@katherinebclaudeThere's a mod on modthesims that stops this from happening. I think the user was called Tofuman or something along those lines. It made the campfires usable again for me and I highly recommend it.

P.S. The incense burners from spa day are such death traps too.. :/

Message 4 of 20 (4,809 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★ Guide

Thanks @siirysiir I found one by Tofuman

And one by DemonOfSarila 

Which do you recommend?

[CM - Edited to remove links to mods]

Message 5 of 20 (4,800 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★ Pro

@troshalom I've been using the one by Tofuman and it's working for me like it should. Standard smile I haven't tried the other one (well, since the on that I have works, I haven't had the need haha) so can't really comment on it. But yeah, I can highly recommend this mod by Tofuman, obviously it's such a small tweak I don't really think about it because it works. But before it I couldn't really use the campfires because of the constant fires. :/

Message 6 of 20 (4,743 Views)

★★★ Guide
@siirysiir I installed the Tofuman mod but removed it because I was getting to many last exception errors and then my game crashed to the desktop. So, Maxis/EA needs to fix this.
Message 7 of 20 (4,705 Views)

★ Guide
@katherinebclaude I get the same thing. In the span of a weenie roast party, they caught on fire TWICE. One was when the fire was low and one was when the fire was high.
I'm so lucky no sims died.
Message 8 of 20 (4,644 Views)

Re: Sim can't light fire if other sims are sitting by the campfire on sofa chair

Message 9 of 20 (4,620 Views)

Re: Sim can't light fire if other sims are sitting by the campfire on sofa chair

★ Guide
@Kelmen1974 Thanks, that definitely helps but it's not the fix to my issue.
Message 10 of 20 (4,555 Views)