Original Post

Accepted Solution

[FIXED] "Boyfriend/Girlfriend" objective doesn't activate when promised

[ Edited ]
★★★ Novice

Product: The Sims 4
Platform:PC
Which language are you playing the game in? English
How often does the bug occur? Every time (100%)
What is your current game version number? 1.47.49.1020
What expansions, game packs, and stuff packs do you have installed? All
Steps: How can we find the bug ourselves? 1. Create two teens with no romantic or family relationships having any aspirations except "Serial romantic" or "Soulmate". 2. Improve relationships to be friendly at least 40% and romantic at least 80%. 3. Use romantic interaction to become boyfriend/girlfriend. 4. Use romantic interaction "Exchange Promise Rings". 5. Switch any or both teens to have "Serial Romantic" or "Soulmate" aspiration.
What happens when the bug occurs? "Have a Boyfriend or Girlfriend" objective doesn't activate when switching to "Serial Romantic" or "Soulmate" aspiration while sim has only one partner that he/she exchanged promise rings with and no other girlfriends/boyfriends.
What do you expect to see? "Have a Boyfriend or Girlfriend" objective should activate after switching to "Serial Romantic" or "Soulmate" aspiration.
Have you installed any customization with the game, e.g. Custom Content or Mods? Not now. I've removed them.
Did this issue appear after a specific patch or change you made to your system? Neutral/Not Sure 

It is impossible to progress "Serial Romantic" or "Soulmate" aspiration when it is selected while sim is in "promised" romantic relationship with his/her only partner. This happens because "Have Boyfriend or Girlfriend" aspiration objective doesn't get activated at that romantic relationship level.

There are ways out of this situation:

• "Become Just Friends" and restart romantic relationship anew.
  • Get another boyfriend/girlfriend.
  • "Propose" after becoming adults.

It would be great if "Have Boyfriend or Girlfriend" aspiration objective would activate when "promised" same way as it does when proposed or already married.

Edit By Crinrict: Adjusted Tag

Message 1 of 12 (7,947 Views)

Accepted Solution

Re: [NEEDS INPUT] "Boyfriend/Girlfriend" objective doesn't activate wh

Hero

Completing the aspiration goal of Have a Boyfriend or Girlfriend before the Soulmate and Serial Romantic aspiration goals are active, will now complete the goal appropriately

Fixed in Patch 1.93.129/1.66

If you're still experiencing this issue, please create a new thread.

Good Luck
Crin

Trennlinie

I don't work or have any association with EA. I give advice to the best of my knowledge and cannot be held responsible for any damage done to your computer/game.
Please only contact me via PM when asked to do so.

Important Threads

View in thread

Message 12 of 12 (4,769 Views)

All Replies

Re: "Have a Boyfriend/Girlfriend" objective doesn't activate

[ Edited ]
Hero

Hi @AlphaTested

I'm a bit unsure if this is a bug but first I need to make sure I understand this correctly.

You switch aspirations and the relationship you already have doesn't count ?

Does the issue only occur if they were promised before or also if they are both adults and already have a BF/GF and you switch aspirations ?

Good Luck
Crin

Trennlinie

I don't work or have any association with EA. I give advice to the best of my knowledge and cannot be held responsible for any damage done to your computer/game.

Important Threads

Message 2 of 12 (7,866 Views)
Highlighted

★★★ Novice

Yes, you understood it correctly. I believe that this issue is not such a big deal since such situation is quite rare, but it is just illogical since goal is acieved if you switch aspiration while proposed or married.

Message 3 of 12 (7,856 Views)

Hero
OK. THanks.

Yeah, not sure if it's an issue or not.

Guess I'll see if others have some input

Good Luck
Crin

Trennlinie

Important Threads

Message 4 of 12 (7,850 Views)

Hero
Added as needs input to get some more opinions

This has been probably in the game since the beginning and never been reported so far (afair)

Good Luck
Crin

Trennlinie

Important Threads

Message 5 of 12 (7,830 Views)

★★ Guide

The "Promised" state does not seem to register as a romantic relationship properly. I had a teen sim who was "promised" to her boyfriend. After they both aged up, she got whims to ask him to be her bf that were impossible to fulfill as the option did not show up, but she did get the option to propose to him. When asked if single, he would report that he was.

Message 6 of 12 (7,555 Views)

★★ Novice

I have the same problem. Since my sims exchange promised rings as a teenarger he can't seem to become boyfriend/girlfriend with his promised now that they are both adult.

Message 7 of 12 (7,497 Views)

★★★★ Guide

I really don't think this is the intended functionality, if it is then it's bad design especially considering that it breaks other functions of the game. It doesn't seem logical to me that it was intentional for that interaction to make 2 aspirations impossible, make at least 2 whims impossible (both the generic and specific whims for asking someone to go steady), and remove the ask to be boyfriend/girlfriend interaction.

The description on that promise is very vague and generic anyway, "These Sims have promised that they will remain a couple forever", which if it's simply about being a couple then isn't being boyfriend/girlfriend considered being a couple? I feel the intended functionality was for you to stay boyfriend/girlfriend if you already were, and to allow you to become boyfriend/girlfriend if you weren't already. Or if it is going to remove boyfriend/girlfriend status, at least still give you the interaction to become boyfriend/girlfriend again and have it remove the "promised" status.

At least there are workarounds, because it seems not enough people even know about this issue (or maybe don't care lol) for it to ever be fixed. This doesn't seem like something we need workarounds for though, seems like something that should just have better functionality. I at least know not to use that interaction ever again. It does nothing positive (only adds that "Promised" status in the Sim Profile) and breaks other functions, so it's essentially worthless.

Message 8 of 12 (7,044 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★ Apprentice

Is this glitch ever going to be acknowledged or fixed? It doesn't make any sense for sims to be considered single after exchanging promise rings. Several of my teenagers have done this and, while I have not encountered the bug where they're unable to propose as young adults, the option to "kiss cheek" disappears as a romantic dialogue option the moment they exchange promise rings(although they still do this autonomously, there's no longer an option to do it manually). Also, the options "reveal crush", "pickup line" and "ask if single" reappear. If you have a sim ask them if they're single they confirm that indeed they are. They're still considered romantically involved, but they're not acknowledged as being in a relationship. If it's never going to be fixed, I might have to use cheats to revert them back to being boyfriend/girlfriend and disable the option of autonomously exchanging promise rings. It's a cute feature, but unfortunately it does lose a bit of its luster when it doesn't even work like it should.

Message 9 of 12 (6,613 Views)

★ Apprentice

Had the same thing happen. Had the guy ask her to be girlfriend with the aspiration on so he got it, then promised to each other. Then they asked each other if single and they said yes. Switched to her and aspiration wouldn't count boyfriend status so I had to say be just friends and get the romance meter back up to ask him out and exchange promise rings again. I haven't aged them up yet so hoping I don't have to do it again to propose or anything. I completely agree that its ridiculous to need a workaround for something that should just work.

Message 10 of 12 (6,286 Views)