by ThatGirlJemmaXo

Original Post

[OPEN] [XB1] Can’t place windows individually. Only allows auto-placement

[ Edited ]
★★★ Newbie

Product: The Sims 4
Platform:Microsoft XBOX One
Which language are you playing the game in? English
How often does the bug occur? Every time (100%)
What is your current game version number? 1.29.80.2300
What expansions, game packs, and stuff packs do you have installed? All expectations, game packs and stuff packs are installed
Steps: How can we find the bug ourselves? In build mode try placing a single window
What happens when the bug occurs? It will not let you place one window at a time. It will only auto place around the entire room.
What do you expect to see? If you press RB you should be able to place one window at a time.
Have you installed any customization with the game, e.g. Custom Content or Mods? On console - never used.
Did this issue appear after a specific patch or change you made to your system? Neutral/Not Sure 

When in build mode typically pressing RB on Xbox one it will allow you to place windows one by one. But since the update before nifty knitting was released it has stopped working and only allows you to place windows automatically around a full room. Not one by one. 

Edit By Crinrict: Added Tag to Title, Adjusted Title

Message 1 of 16 (27,906 Views)

Re: Xbox one. Can’t place windows individually. Only allows to be auto placed.

Hero (Retired)
@ThatGirlJemmaXo I have noticed this also. You can back out of the window selection to the window size menu and then use the rb/lb button to toggle between room and individual there, but yes the toggle doesn't work like it did before. I'm not sure if this is related to the general issue of those buttons not working in build mode and live mode but they are probably all related.
Message 2 of 16 (27,834 Views)

Re: Xbox one. Can’t place windows individually. Only allows to be auto placed.

★★★★ Guide

@PoptartJuniper wrote:
@ThatGirlJemmaXoI have noticed this also. You can back out of the window selection to the window size menu and then use the rb/lb button to toggle between room and individual there, but yes the toggle doesn't work like it did before. I'm not sure if this is related to the general issue of those buttons not working in build mode and live mode but they are probably all related.

I've noticed this on the PS4 as well, and I've had to back out to the size menu like you said just to get the proper placement mode. This seems to happen if you've done something like place wall and/or floor patterns, and you had hit RB (R1 on PS4) to use Room Mode for placement. For some reason that placement mode seems to stay active and carries over to window placement, which I don't know why. So for anyone on consoles, when you finish placing your floors and walls just make a note to hit L1 or LB to switch out of that room placement mode otherwise it will stay like that for windows.

Message 3 of 16 (27,795 Views)

Window and Paint Placement

★★★ Newbie

Sorry, don’t know if I’m posting right but I’m on an Xbox One playing Sims 4 and I would usually press LB or RB to change from a single window placement to a whole room and vice versa but now it’s stuck on just the whole room. Don’t know what to do. I have tried restarting the game which does fix it for a little while but then it goes back to just doing a whole room. Also usually when I press left trigger it cycles through placement type (grid, half grid or free) but now it also brings up a search bar which hasn’t happened before. Have I done something to change the controls?

Message 4 of 16 (27,726 Views)

Re: Window and Paint Placement

Hero (Retired)
@becca_shields98 I have merged your post with the bug report on this issue. It is a bug with the controls.

You can back out of the window selection to the window size menu and then use the rb/lb button to toggle between room and individual placement.

Please click the "Me Too" button at the bottom of the first post in this thread.
Message 5 of 16 (27,709 Views)

[PS4]Windows won’t place single after installing Discover University??

[ Edited ]
★★★ Novice

I have recently installed the Discover University Expansion and now when placing windows it will not give me the option to place them singularly and not in a group for the whole room. I know it’s not my controller since I when paint the walls it works. I don’t know if the game is just being weird or what. It hasn’t given me the chance to change it since I installed it. 

Message 6 of 16 (27,711 Views)

Re: [PS4]Windows won’t place single after installing Discover University??

★★★★ Guide

Someone reported this on the bug forum, and it's apparently a glitch introduced in one of the recent updates. If you go to the part of the menu where you select the window sizes you can still adjust the placement mode there, so you will have to do it there for now. Another thing I've noticed (and I'm not sure if it was always like this or not) is that if you place wall or floor patterns and change the placement mode in either of those, the setting will stay active which means if you select room placement for the floors or walls it will carry over to windows as well. If you keep both of these things in mind it's not quite as annoying, though not being able to swap placement modes while actually placing windows is still annoying. I hope that helps in some way.

Message 7 of 16 (27,655 Views)

Re: [PS4]Windows won’t place single after installing Discover University??

Hero (Retired)

@TulipacSimmer @valohim666 I have merged your post with the bug report on this issue. It is a bug with the controls.

You can back out of the window selection to the window size menu and then use the rb/lb button to toggle between room and individual placement.

Please click the "Me Too" button at the bottom of the first post in this thread.

Message 8 of 16 (27,646 Views)

I can’t place windows

★ Novice

So I play XBox edition for the sims 4, and today I was building and went to place a window. However, when I placed it, it placed for the entire room. I tried to make it so I could only place one, but it didn’t work. I looked at the ctrls on the side that pop up, and there was no longer a control. Is anybody else having this issue?

Message 9 of 16 (27,531 Views)

Re: I can’t place windows

Hero (Retired)
@Noodlerpirate I've merged your post with the bug report on this issue. Please click the "Me Too" button at the bottom of the first post in the thread.

Post #2 has some help for this issue in the meantime.
Message 10 of 16 (27,485 Views)