Re: [OPEN] Writing on computer not working properly

by Sunraa1

Original Post

Highlighted

★ Novice

Adding to this thread as well. I was unable to write at all with a new sim, newly purchased computer and new lot. Putting the computer in the inventory and then taking it out again did work for me as well. I imagine it'll break again at some point but good to know that works as my sim is a writer. 

Message 101 of 129 (592 Views)

Re: Write A Genre Book Broken

★★★ Novice

Product: The Sims 4
Platform: PC
Which language are you playing the game in? English
How often does the bug occur? Every time (100%)
What is your current game version number? Latest + Spellcaster DLC downloaded.
What expansions, game packs, and stuff packs do you have installed? Spell Caster DLC.
Steps: It is very simple to trigger the bug, simply have your Sims in the Freelancer career with Writing select as his goal in life, and start writing a book. Once you travel with that Sim or any Sim of that household (including when they go to work or school) try to get the Sim to resume or start writing a new piece. It will not work. Make sure you have your Sim selected as a spell-caster, I am not sure if the threads of the Sim personality can trigger it but so far it happens almost every single time with me, when my Sim goal is to be a Writer. I also had that issue when my Sim aim was to become the most powerful Spellcaster (the one from the DLC).

What happens when the bug occurs? When you try to start writing or resume one, the icon for writing on the PC queued up for a bit and then immediately is cancelled by the Sim themselves. Not sure why. Sometimes it shows as a black flash-drive as well, not sure what that is but it does happen sometime.
What do you expect to see? A pop up to appeal once the Sim sits on the computer asking for the Book title, or the sim to resume writing already started book.
Have you installed any customisation with the game, e.g. Custom Content or Mods? I did, but this bugs started happening before I installed any mods...
Did this issue appear after a specific patch or change you made to your system? I am not sure about this one, I do remember there was a recent a update on the game, like a week ago or so, but this is the time when I was still learning about the game, so it could have happened after the latest patch or it could have existed before that.

Message 102 of 129 (583 Views)

Re: My sims can’t write

Hero
@BrynnKnits I merged your post with existing bug report on this issue.

Good Luck
Crin

Trennlinie

I don't work or have any association with EA. I give advice to the best of my knowledge and cannot be held responsible for any damage done to your computer/game.
Please only contact me via PM when asked to do so.

Important Threads

Message 103 of 129 (706 Views)

Re: Write A Genre Book Broken

★ Novice

Just very normal Sims, family of two, none of them can't write.

Message 104 of 129 (663 Views)

★★ Novice

Put your computer into house hold inventory during build mode then take it out and put it back in the house. This is working for now. Thanks @BlueSun

Message 105 of 129 (658 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★ Newbie

Posting to say I'm having this bug as well. 3 week old PC, with fresh install of windows 10, fresh unmodded install of the sims 4 with only one expansion(Seasons). Everything is up to date and game was only installed 3 days ago. My sim will not respond to any "write genre book" action. Including any that also happens to be needed for the freelance job.

Product: The Sims 4
Platform: PC - Windows 10 most recent patches installed
Which language are you playing the game in? English
How often does the bug occur? Only experienced it once.
What is your current game version number? 1.58.69.1010
What expansions, game packs, and stuff packs do you have installed? Sims 4 digital deluxe + Seasons
Steps: How can we find the bug ourselves? Click on write Genre Book, then click any of the activities, also affects Freelance writing career.
What happens when the bug occurs? Nothing, which is the problem.
What do you expect to see? Sim writing book
Have you installed any customization with the game, e.g. Custom Content or Mods? No
Did this issue appear after a specific patch or change you made to your system? No

Adding my hardware specs, I doubt its related since it appears to be affecting PC and MAC alike:

AMD Ryzen 7 3700X, Corsair Vengeance PLX 16GB 2x8GB DDR4-3200, MSI MPG X570 Gaming Pro Carbon WIFI, EVGA Geforce GTX 1080 Classified, Inland Premium 1TB m.2 NVME SSD

Message 106 of 129 (632 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★ Newbie

I too was able to repair the issue by placing the computer in inventory. Here is a video of the glitch and what fixed it.

Message 107 of 129 (627 Views)

Two sims can't use different computers at the same time

★ Apprentice

Product: The Sims 4
Platform:PC
Which language are you playing the game in? English
How often does the bug occur? Every time (100%)
What is your current game version number? 1.58.69.1010
What expansions, game packs, and stuff packs do you have installed? Seasons and Holiday Celebration Pack
Steps: How can we find the bug ourselves? 1) Have two different computers in the same lot, in different rooms 2) Make a sim use one of the computers (eg: Fill out reports) 3) Make another sim use the other computer available (eg: Write book)
What happens when the bug occurs? The sim who has to use the second computer goes to the room where the first computer is, then says that the first computer is not available, and then does nothing. Aditionally, when the second sim is commanded to use the second computer, ithe miniature that appears in the second sim's action queue corresponds to the first computer's image.
What do you expect to see? I expect the second sim to use the second computer.
Have you installed any customization with the game, e.g. Custom Content or Mods? Never used.
Did this issue appear after a specific patch or change you made to your system? Neutral/Not Sure 

I have two different computers in the same lot, in different rooms, (by different computers, I mean they are not the same type of computer). When I have a sim using one of those computers and I give the command to another sim to use the other computer, this second sim goes right to the room where the first computer is, notices the first computer is not available (which is true), and then does nothing. With this, I mean the second sim behaves as if I made him/her use the first computer instead of the second one.

Moreover, the computer that is shown in the second sim's action queue is the first one. As if the game redirected the command made in the second computer to the first one automatically.

Message 108 of 129 (597 Views)

Re: Writing new books is broken

★★ Novice

I know of at least three otger people who have this problem as well since the update.

Message 109 of 129 (607 Views)

Re: Two sims can't use different computers at the same time

Hero
@SouthernPuchuu There's an issue with writing. Did you test other interactions ?

I tested this on my game and it works fine if I choose another interaction.

Good Luck
Crin

Trennlinie

I don't work or have any association with EA. I give advice to the best of my knowledge and cannot be held responsible for any damage done to your computer/game.
Please only contact me via PM when asked to do so.

Important Threads

Message 110 of 129 (565 Views)