Re: Write A Genre Book Broken

by troshalom

Original Post

Re: [NEEDS SAVES] Writing on computer not working properly

★★ Novice

Product: The Sims 4
Platform:Macbook
Which language are you playing the game in? English
How often does the bug occur? Every time (100%)
What is your current game version number? Version 1.58.63.1010
What expansions, game packs, and stuff packs do you have installed? Seasons, Cityliving, Get Famous, Vampires
Steps: How can we find the bug ourselves? Try to write any kind of genre book.
What happens when the bug occurs? Selected "Write Genre Book...", then selected "Resume Writing", Nothing happens. None of the genres work. And writing a new book doesn't work either.
What do you expect to see? Should be able to write the book to complete in order to publish or give to freelancer gig.
Have you installed any customization with the game, e.g. Custom Content or Mods? None.
Did this issue appear after a specific patch or change you made to your system? Yes
Please describe the patch or change you made. Only change made was the recent patch as of: UPDATE: 11/12/2019 - PC 1.58.63.1010/ Mac 1.58.63.1210

I've started at least 5 new games, with different computers, different sims, mostly regular sims not Vampires, none have been able to write anything not even a comedy routine.  The sim just doesn't respond to any type of writing at all.

Message 71 of 129 (1,690 Views)

★ Novice

I had the same stupid issue and my other sims could write without issue. The one specific sim could still use the computer just wouldn’t write. 

I bought a new computer for that sim and sold it’s old one and it write fine now. I started with the cheapest to see if he would write and he did so I just sold the cheap one and his old one and he went on to happily writing. 

Message 72 of 129 (1,678 Views)

Writing books, comedy routines, or songs don't appear in queue

★★★ Newbie

Platform:PC
What is your current game version number? 1.58.69.1010
What expansions, game packs, and stuff packs do you have installed? None
Steps: How can we find the bug ourselves? Click on the "write book" option on the computer and attempt to write a book. Click on "Comedy.." > "Compose short/medium/long routine" and attempt to write a routine on the computer. Click "Write Song..." on any instrument and attempt to write a song.
What happens when the bug occurs? The command will either go to the sim's action queue and disappear, or the command will not appear at all.
What do you expect to see? My sims should be able to write and finish books, comedy routines, and songs. I should be able to access and utilize these books, comedy routines, and songs whenever I wish.
Have you installed any customization with the game, e.g. Custom Content or Mods? Not now. I've removed them.
Did this issue appear after a specific patch or change you made to your system? Neutral/Not Sure 

My sims across all my save files cannot write songs, comedy routines, or books. I would like to complete as many aspirations as I can with many sims and this bug is interfering. I tried repairing the game and removing my custom content, but the problem still persisted. Please help with any suggestions you have.

Message 73 of 129 (1,677 Views)

★★ Apprentice

I have been having this problem repeatedly, recently noticed that locking the computer for household only seems to trigger the problem.

Message 74 of 129 (1,665 Views)

Re: Writing books, comedy routines, or songs don't appear in queue

Hero
@doctorweeed I merged your post with the current thread on the issue. Only option is to buy a new computer but it will break again next time you travel.

The thread for comedy routines is here: https://answers.ea.com/t5/Bug-Reports/NEEDS-INPUT-Can-t-write-comedy-routines/td-p/8447076

Good Luck
Crin

Trennlinie

I don't work or have any association with EA. I give advice to the best of my knowledge and cannot be held responsible for any damage done to your computer/game.
Please only contact me via PM when asked to do so.

Important Threads

Message 75 of 129 (1,655 Views)

Re: CANT WRITE BOOKS OR CANT COMPLETE TASKS

★★ Novice

Glad I'm not the only one experiencing this. Since about 2 updates ago, any time I try to get my sim to write a book on the computer, the options window closes like I've given the command, but no action bubble ever pops up, and she just won't do it. 

This is a frustrating glitch. And honestly, since that update, so many things have been glitchy. 

Unrelated, but one of the other glitches I've been experiencing from this update is fruit in my inventory / fridge just disappears. 

Message 76 of 129 (1,625 Views)

Re: CANT WRITE BOOKS OR CANT COMPLETE TASKS

★★ Novice

I found a better fix for this issue. Place the computer in your house inventory while in build menu and place it back down. This allows me to write without having to buy a new pc.

Message 77 of 129 (1,598 Views)

Write Book interaction not working

★ Novice

Platform:PC
What is your current game version number? 1.58.69.1010
What expansions, game packs, and stuff packs do you have installed? Discover University, Island Living, Seasons, Parenthood, Realm of Magic
Steps: How can we find the bug ourselves? Have a sim try to use the "Write Genre..." interaction on a computer
What happens when the bug occurs? Interaction does not show up in queue
What do you expect to see? Interaction to show up in queue, and then for Sim to carry out interaction
Have you installed any customization with the game, e.g. Custom Content or Mods? Not now. I've removed them.
Did this issue appear after a specific patch or change you made to your system? Neutral/Not Sure 

My sim completed the Language and Literature degree from Foxbury and entered the writing career as a Short Story writer. The interaction didn't work on the new DU laptop, then when placed the Milton Word Processor computer worked for a little bit and then stopped working. 

Message 78 of 129 (1,589 Views)

Re: Sims 4 Conservationist Grant Application Error

★★★ Newbie

Hi, I am also facing the same problem. I just installed The Sims 4 a couple of days ago, and I am playing on an iMac. I have no mods, and the only expansion I have is the free expansion that provides holiday costumes. Let me describe it in detail:

Early game: In the beginning all the Sims in my household were able to write genre books without a problem. One of my Sims is a freelance writer.

Mid game: This is when the problem starts. Once my freelance writers leveled up his writing skill to level 5 (I think), he got a level 5 gig to write a non-fiction book. I try to select the option Freelance -> Write Book... -> Nonfiction. Nothing happens. No "task icon" is queued up for him to write a book or use a computer. I try to get him to write a genre book from the non-freelance option, but that does not work either. No matter how many times I tell him to, he cannot write any type of genre book. There are other Sims in my household who have the writing skill to write genre books, and the option is visible. Unfortunately, when I click on the option bubble for them to write genre books, just like their freelancing friend, they completely ignore it. No "task icon" for writing or using the computer is queued.

I tried to troubleshoot by moving the Sims' computer, buying a new computer, selling the old computer and then buying a new computer, etc. I also went into the game files and emptied out the cache and cachets file. I copied my save file, deleted "The Sims 4" directory, launched a new game, pasted the save file into the saves directory, and continued my play-through. None of these things fixed the problem,

What I did next: I restarted the game from the beginning and tried again. I attempted 3 separate play-throughs, (with the same Sim household saved in my gallery,) and each time the same thing happened. On one play through, none of my Sims did freelance writing. Instead, I had a Sim just be a normal Writer with fixed work hours. I had him practice writing at home, and eventually he leveled up and tried to write a slightly more advanced book, (may have been nonfiction, I don't remember,) and the same thing happens again. After that point, neither he nor anyone else could write genre books (like before).

On my last play-through, I had my freelancing Sim start writing 4 books of the same name before the bug happened. After the bug happened, he cannot start writing or resume writing. I try to click on "resume writing," and sometimes a "task icon" to write a book is briefly queued, but before the Sim actually writes, the "task icon" disappears, and the Sim still does not write.

My observations: this bug seems to happen after the writer has written a few books. This bug never occurs super early in the game; I have only been able to reproduce it after hours of playing. I think the bug may be triggered by one of the following conditions: after a certain number of books is written, or when a certain genre of book is written, or when a writer reaches a certain skill level. What is notable is that this happened whether or not I had a freelancing Sim.

I hope this is helpful! I would love to see it fixed so that my Sim can finally move on with his writing career!

Thanks,

Wes

Message 79 of 129 (1,569 Views)

Re: Write A Genre Book Broken

★★★ Guide
@SimGuruNick I can send you a copy of my test file, but I did make some videos that are linked and was added to the Freelance career bug report. I've had problems with sims writing in the freelance career.
Message 80 of 129 (1,547 Views)