Original Post

Accepted Solution

[BY DESIGN] Terrain height changes when basement is drawn to edge of structure

[ Edited ]
★★ Novice

Product: The Sims 4
Platform:Mac
Which language are you playing the game in? English
How often does the bug occur? Every time (100%)
What is your current game version number? Base: 1.47.51.1220
What expansions, game packs, and stuff packs do you have installed? Get to Work, Seasons, Cats and Dogs, Dine out, Holiday
Steps: How can we find the bug ourselves? When you build a basement
What happens when the bug occurs? The terrain on the upper level changes when you add a basement.
What do you expect to see? Same leveled terrain as prior.
Have you installed any customization with the game, e.g. Custom Content or Mods? Never used.
Did this issue appear after a specific patch or change you made to your system? Yes
Please describe the patch or change you made. Update

The terrain moves when you add a basement, but didn't prior. 

Message 1 of 37 (32,636 Views)

Accepted Solution

Re: Why is the terrain height changing when I add a basement?

Community Manager (retired)

Sorry for the late reply @MapleSimmer , I think I understand the issue now, and I'm being told this is by design. This was an intentional change when we introduced terrain manip. The origin point (where you start drawing) will determine the height of the block below. See my attached video. When I start drawing the basement block inside of the existing block, it adjusts the terrain. If the origin point for my basement block is outside of the existing block then it doesn't adjust it. 

This account is no longer accepting Direct Messages. If you need to send a Direct Message, please send it to TheSimsDirect. Thank you.

View in thread

Message 21 of 37 (32,635 Views)

All Replies

Hero (Retired)

@makjolee which lot(s) were you using when this happened?  For a quick test, I jumped onto Pebble Burrow in Oasis Springs, and did not experience any change in terrain when drawing a basement there.  Tried Oakenstead as well, and the lot again behaved as expected.

Message 2 of 37 (32,565 Views)

★★ Novice

“It’s a good house” in Brindleton Bay

Message 3 of 37 (32,530 Views)

★★★★ Pro

I've also noticed this issue where the terrain raises to hide my foundation if my basement goes to the edge of my house.  My sims are on what was the empty lot in Oasis Springs in the neighbourhood that the Caliente's live in. 

Here's a link to a video where I show it (it links to the point in the video that I show it on. 

https://youtu.be/EObV8uC-kuo?t=1013

Thanks and regards,

Jennifer

Message 4 of 37 (32,499 Views)

★ Apprentice

I had this happen in Oasis Springs when I edited the Rattlesnake Juice bar to add a basement. It raised the terrain height which in turn deleted all the stairs allowing access to the building.

Message 5 of 37 (32,467 Views)

★★★★★ Guide

I've been noticing it as well; it looks like when the basement sections are placed, it auto-adjusts to balance between the surface level and the basement level.

Have you tried playing around with the foundations, or also trying to place the stairs towards the center of the building instead of the sides? I noticed when I set up stairs heading into the basement that the terrain seems to change when I place it towards the edge of the building rather than towards the center.

I wonder if it has to do with the elevation of the basement/surface building walls?

- B

Message 6 of 37 (32,430 Views)

[NEEDS INPUT] [GF] Building basement causes terrain elevation

[ Edited ]
★ Apprentice

Product: The Sims 4
Platform:PC
Which language are you playing the game in? English
How often does the bug occur? Every time (100%)
What is your current game version number? 1.48.94.1920
What expansions, game packs, and stuff packs do you have installed? All expansion packs. All game packs. Toddler, fitness, glamour, garden, movie, spooky, patio and party stuff packs.
Steps: How can we find the bug ourselves? Try to build a basement on Chateau peak.
What happens when the bug occurs? Every time I try to build a basement wall on the highest basement level it builds it several storeys high so that the ground pokes up several storeys if there is no building above or the game refuses to build if there is an existing structure above it.
What do you expect to see? Basements working so that I can add a basement to the house.
Have you installed any customization with the game, e.g. Custom Content or Mods? Never used.
Did this issue appear after a specific patch or change you made to your system? Neutral/Not Sure 

Message 7 of 37 (29,556 Views)

Re: Basement bug on Chateau peak

Hero (Retired)

I was able to duplicate this issue (to an extent) in my game.  Specifically, when trying to build a basement on the right side of the home, the game elevated terrain around the basement area.  However, in my game, this was a slight elevation.  Subsequently building an additional basement under the home elevated terrain around the home a bit.  The "Flatten Lot" button in terrain tools would not reduce the terrain height; nor could I reduce it manually.  Only deleting the basement allowed me to flatten the terrain.  Will add to our list.

Message 8 of 37 (29,497 Views)

★★★★ Pro

Just chiming in again to say I also noticed this when adding a basement to the Blue Velvet in Willow Creek.  I had to stay within the walls of the main floor and porch to not have this happen.  I ended up extending one of the porches so I could have enough room in the basement for what I wanted to do. I also admin on a Facebook group and have seen a few people report that this happens with them as well. I have some screenshots that show this at the Blue Velvet, before, during and after; hopefully they attach properly.  

Thanks and regards,

Jennifer

Message 9 of 37 (32,259 Views)

Re: [TO TEST] Why is the terrain height changing when I add a basement?

[ Edited ]
★★ Pro

I thought I didn't know how to use terrain tool. I had this issue when terrain tool was updated by patch last year. Since that time, I don't place foundation when building my sims family home. There's no problem with building a basement without foundation. 

Message 10 of 37 (32,255 Views)