[OPEN] Unusually dark/bright lighting on certain shrubs

by fischdeo

Original Post

Re: Black Plants are Back!

[ Edited ]
Hero

@cebart73 

I see this too but sometimes you can make it change by rearranging and/or changing the lighting you have in that space or moving those plants around to other spots within the space.  What you're seeing is more or less a shadow effect.  Some plants seem worse about it than others too.   If the space has windows, that can also contribute to the issue depending on where the plants are relative to the windows as well.  And wall finishes may affect it too.  I use basements for my gardens and have less of it when the walls and floors are light colored too.  May be a sort of reflectivity thing going on but not sure.

Hope this helps.

Message 11 of 23 (1,103 Views)

Black plants

★ Guide

Product: The Sims 4
Platform:PC
Which language are you playing the game in? English
How often does the bug occur? Often (50% - 99%)
What is your current game version number? 1.72.28.1030
What expansions, game packs, and stuff packs do you have installed? All but Journey to Buttuu, Paranormal Stuff and Nifty Knitting.
Steps: How can we find the bug ourselves? Grow plants indoors.
What happens when the bug occurs? The shrubs are black.
What do you expect to see? I expect to see the shrubs of the plants to be green.
Have you installed any customization with the game, e.g. Custom Content or Mods? Never used.
Did this issue appear after a specific patch or change you made to your system? Neutral/Not Sure 

04-21-21_3-42-03 PM.png

As you can see the textures are messed up.

Message 12 of 23 (1,166 Views)

Rif.: Black plants

★★★★★ Expert
@Sigzy05 Not all the plants can be planted on the vertical garden, which plants are those?
Message 13 of 23 (1,152 Views)

Re: Black plants

[ Edited ]
Hero

@Sigzy05 To be sure: They are generally black inside and not just in the vertical planter ?

Possibly the same as this: https://answers.ea.com/t5/Bug-Reports/NEEDS-INPUT-Unusually-dark-bright-lighting-on-certain-shrubs/m... ?

Good Luck
Crin

Trennlinie

I don't work or have any association with EA. I give advice to the best of my knowledge and cannot be held responsible for any damage done to your computer/game.
Please only contact me via PM when asked to do so.

Important Threads

Message 14 of 23 (1,116 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★ Apprentice

I thought this was a known issue like the cowplant reverting, it's been around for a little bit. Issue is indoor lighting messes with some plants, both inside and outside plants, some plants "shade" (turn dark/black/dull) inside a room while outside they look normal, doesn't matter what lighting they're near inside they shade weirdly. 

lilsimsie shows/talks about it very briefly when she recently rated the plants https://youtu.be/8mlsbYeYtfM - if you don't want to watch the whole thing it starts at 10:00 (for a few secs) when she moves one of the plants from outside inside and it shows this shade issue OP was talking about.

It also happens sometimes when you resize plants inside, they're fine, then one or two sizes smaller or larger it "breaks" and shades out, same with raising it on surfaces, on the floor it's fine then when it's put on a side table it shades. 

Message 15 of 23 (1,088 Views)

Hero
@Ozlem80 So you're saying it's not the issue I linked above ? I just want to make sure it's not a problem for the vertical planter only for OP.

Good Luck
Crin

Trennlinie

I don't work or have any association with EA. I give advice to the best of my knowledge and cannot be held responsible for any damage done to your computer/game.
Please only contact me via PM when asked to do so.

Important Threads

Message 16 of 23 (1,083 Views)

[ Edited ]
★ Guide

You can only place/plant harvestables in vertical gardens that can be planted there, so yes all of those are meant to be planted there. Not exactly sure which plants in specific those were. I know for a fact they're all edible harvestables, because the flowers were on the other side of the greenhouse.

@crinrict I'm not exactly sure. Some plants glitch out and grow black others don't. Some plants that grow in normal planters also have weird blackish shading. It could be the same issue as that thread.

[CM - Edited to merge consecutive posts]

Message 17 of 23 (1,060 Views)

Re: Unusually dark/bright lighting on certain shrubs

[ Edited ]
★ Guide

Popping in to bump the thread as the shading issue is still present.

I am currently on version 1.77.146.1030 with all packs and kits except for Journey to Batuu and Throwback Fit installed and active, (still no mods or CC).
Attached are some new screenshots from today, the 14th of August 2021, of some of the affected non-interactive plant items.

I've noticed that a few wall-mounted plant items from Eco Living that, while not being pitch black, are still shaded much darker than other wall-mounted plants and items when placed indoors.

Message 18 of 23 (934 Views)

Re: Unusually dark/bright lighting on certain shrubs

★★ Pro

Ugh I hate this. It's so limiting in terms of what plants we can use in our builds because their lighting is so messed up! Some examples I can instantly think of are the Island living leafy indoor plant and the otherwise absolutely gorgeous palm tree we got with Courtyard oasis kit but they look too dark when placed indoors! I see youtube builders complain about this constantly yet I guess we're not making enough noise for the sims team to fix this. I wish some gamechanger simmers were to start advocating for finally fixing these build issues..

Message 19 of 23 (859 Views)

Re: [OPEN] Unusually dark/bright lighting on certain shrubs

★★★ Apprentice

Okay so what about this issue? Is it going to be resolved or NOT? So many plants placed outside in San Myshuno are still fluorescent like crazy. Fukushima, eat your heart out!

Message 20 of 23 (788 Views)