Re: [OPEN] Unable to Progress in new tutorial due to greyed out selections

by PoptartJuniper

Original Post

Re: Tutorial on The Sims 4

Hero (Retired)

Hi @DayDreamerBlack  - this can be so frustrating for anyone, but particularly a new player.

If you save and exit the tutorial, it should put you on the main menu. Choose Load Game, there should be a button on the bottom right of your saved game that says something like "reload " or "revert save". I'm sorry, not near my PC right now so going from memory. 

If you can find this option, it should take you back to an earlier point and hopefully you can finish from there.

If it doesn't exist or doesn't help, exit the game and right-click the Sims 4 icon in Origin and choose to repair the game. Hopefully one of these options will unstick it.

Happy simming!

Message 31 of 67 (2,542 Views)

★★★★★ Newbie

Hey @BlackjackWidow 

Thank you for the reply! I'll try that as see if I can get it to work. Think it's Revert Save off the top of my head. It's a shame the tutorial is so buggy, it's an interesting feature.

Message 32 of 67 (2,537 Views)

Hero (Retired)

@DayDreamerBlack - I agree, they just revamped the tutorial a couple of months ago. I would really like it if it didn't consistently stall on me. I hope they get it straightened out. 

I highly recommend checking out Carl's Guide for great info. It has helped me a lot as a new player: https://www.carls-sims-4-guide.com/

Message 33 of 67 (2,534 Views)

★★★★★ Newbie

I managed to get through the tutorial! Thank you so much for your help, I'm also watching Carl's beginner video. I'm not a beginner at the series, but the whole emotion thing in 4 and the revamp to social interactions was very new.

Message 34 of 67 (2,520 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★ Novice

I managed to complete the tutorial because of #21's comment. Thanks a lot! @Sketch793  Standard smile

Just a little note to add for future players who might encounter the same problem, I reverted and replayed the tutorial about 4 times. Milestone 3 is way too easy to complete and I kept completing it too early even I purposely had my main sims do stuffs against their needs.

My suggestion is to have Alex do everything on behalf of the main sims so the main sims' skill won't progress too early. Just keep his/her basic needs fulfilled and let him/her sit and do nothing while killing time. As for Alex, she has lazy trait so it's very easy to just make her sleep/nap lazily to kill time especially in the beginning when we can't x3 fast forward the game. Good luck!

Message 35 of 67 (2,377 Views)

Re: Unable to Progress in new tutorial due to greyed out selections

★★★ Newbie
@BlackjackWidow A few people have talked about "repairing the game through Origin," but I don't know what that means. Could you elaborate?
Message 36 of 67 (2,301 Views)

Hero (Retired)

@zflack - to repair the game, save and exit The Sims 4, then in the My Games part of Origin, right-click the Sims 4 icon and choose Repair Game from the popup menu. (You have to be online to get the option)

Let the repair complete, then restart the game, choose Load Game, and the tutorial that you saved should be the first one in the list. Hope this helps!

Message 37 of 67 (2,288 Views)

Hero (Retired)

This also is an issue on PS4. When I first started the game it took me all day (real time) to progress through the tutorial because things were blocked off even though the tutorial told me to work on them. I had never played the Sims before so I wanted to get a handle on the game. It was very frustrating. I didn't even know I was still in the tutorial after the end of the (real) day because the tutorial told me to go about my day because I had free play time and then the tutorial part disappeared. So I played, and played. I went in to build mode and placed an object from my career into the tutorial house and then the tutorial ended officially but I had no idea I was supposed to do that. 

I played again through the tutorial later and my sim advanced through her career almost to level 6 and the tutorial was still stuck on earn a promotion task. I am guessing because she was promoted before I got to the promotion stage. I ended up just ending the tutorial early on that one because I was frustrated and not able to progress.

Message 38 of 67 (2,258 Views)

★★★★★ Novice
@luftsaob if you do that you lose special traits that you only can learn through succes in the tutorial, so its not an option
Message 39 of 67 (2,157 Views)

★★ Novice

This has to be the most broken piece of code in the history of game programing, and it's been broken since, what, November of last year? Since the tutorial was introduced? I tried the tutorial back then and it fell at one of the first hurdles. I thought it would have been fixed by now so I decided to try it again. Big mistake. It's not just the aspirations you need to complete that are grayed out. 95% or more of everything else is too. So, Alex,being materialistic, needs to admire new possessions but she can't because she can't buy any. My sim, being of the athletic persuasion, gets tense at work because of 'not enough exercise' but at home she can't workout most of the time because nothing happens when I click on the gym equipment. This also makes it almost impossible to fulfill the 'workout' promotion task. She can't do anything at work except be there, even the options to work hard or slack off etc. being absent. And she can't escape the pointless grind by taking a vacation day, even though she needs one in order to progress. And while my sim is at work all Alex can do is sit at home, bored. She can't invite anyone over - no phone, and the relationships and clubs icons are disabled. She can't visit anyone or visit a community lot. There's interesting looking rocks just asking to be dug up but they can't be dug up. There's a conveniently local fishing spot where she can't fish. She can watch tv but can't pick a channel. She can just wait, hoping someone or something turns up, and when someone does turn up, even if she somehow gets flirty she can't flirt. All she can do is repeat the same few interactions over and over. The same joke about barnacles, over and over. 

I've exited and repaired the game. I've tried the ctrl-shift-c stuff. I haven't restored from an earlier backup because that would take me back so far I might as well start again from scratch, and i haven't started from scratch because I like to see things through if I can. If i wasn't like that then I would have uninstalled the sims 4 long ago, never to be reinstalled, not just for this but also for the countless other inconveniences.

How did we get to this? The Sims is about having free choices. Even if there are several tasks that must be performed to complete an aspiration or get a promotion, you can choose the order to do them in or you can just decide that the aspiration or promotion wasn't all that important anyway. There's always plenty of other things you could be doing instead. The tutorial is the complete antithesis of this. It is as un-Sims-like as you can get. Everything must be done in the specified order, at the allotted times, and God help you if you get ahead of the game and reach a given point before you're supposed to. To try to prevent this happening they grey out almost everything, leaving a game that is almost devoid of gameplay. but you can't think of every contingency. There'll always be some unanticipated occurrences, unless you grey out everything, And then of course the things that are supposed to become un-greyed aren't. They stay grey, along with everything else in this the greyest of grey games. And that's the point we're at, and have been at for many months now.

Message 40 of 67 (2,102 Views)