[FIXED] Trees display "winter" shadows in summer, without leaves

by bsozz

Original Post

Re: Trees display "winter" shadows in summer, without leaves.

★★ Pro

Unfortunately, there are more than a few reports of this to SimGuru Nick on Twitter, but only the one person who stated their specs in the report. So, I have no idea if the other players reporting are AMD owners or not, since only the one said so. 

At least one of the folks I saw sent saves to SimGuru Nick to investigate this, but I couldn't find a response from him about the problem. I'm guessing it's just a wait and see type of thing, but it would be nice to know if anyone else experiencing this has an AMD card or not.

Message 11 of 71 (1,293 Views)

★ Novice
I also am having this problem and I to have an AMD. I'm not a computer person so I don't know my computers specs but it has an AMD sticker on
it that says A8 Vision AMD. Everything runs fine other than the tree shadows. I do not own seasons so its always summer in my game. I run sims on High settings on all but lighting is very high.
Message 12 of 71 (1,279 Views)

★★ Novice

Huh; I also have an AMD card, but I never bought Seasons and never had mods. I've had the issue across every world, the ambient trees also showing winter shadows. For some strange reason like I said, Lilacs and Lanterns and the two Dancing Maples are the only ones that have their shadows for me. 

AMD A8-7410 APU with AMD Radeon R5 Graphics

2.20GHz

8GB RAM

Windows 7

Message 13 of 71 (1,259 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★ Novice

If you ever need to know, just right-click on My Computer and click Properties.

Message 14 of 71 (1,258 Views)

★★★ Apprentice

Okay, so as it turns out everyone who has responded to this thread with the same issue has an AMD card. That can not be coincidental. It seems pretty clear to me that we're dealing with an AMD issue.

Hopefully we can get an official response on this.

Message 15 of 71 (1,242 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★ Pro

I just found a report of this over on the official forums from yesterday, not sure if it's one of us who've already posted in this thread, but I replied and linked this thread and asked them if they have an AMD card. It would be helpful if all the folks who reported this over on Twitter had listed their specs and not just the one person.

@SimGuruNick  could you take a look at this for us, please?

I'm more concerned about this now, since this appears to just be an AMD issue, and as mentioned AMD has a smaller market share of users.

I originally thought this might have just been a random glitch, but now I'm worried it won't get fixed in a timely manner since it's not something that appears to be affecting a large number of people.

Message 16 of 71 (1,230 Views)

★★★★ Pro

I'm playing with a Nvidia GTX 760 and shadows look correct. Seems like your AMD theory is right!

Message 17 of 71 (1,216 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★ Pro

I see the same thing scanning through the different blogs that I follow, most of them I know are NVIDIA owners. I hope we can get an official response on this soon.

This is the first time I've ever experienced a bug that was GPU brand specific. Now I can kind of understand how Mac users feel.

Message 18 of 71 (1,205 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★ Apprentice

@manzana0807 That was me over on the official forums. Nobody else responded with the same issue there, which was disconcerting to say the least.

I agree that it's very odd to have a bug like this be GPU brand specific. I've seen certain issues over the years with NVIDIA/AMD that had to be hotfixed, but nothing like a game choosing the wrong shadows.

@alanmichael1 That's how my screenshots looked before the Seasons patch.

Message 19 of 71 (1,196 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★ Pro

I wondered if that was you, because I know forum usernames are sometimes different. I don't take a lot of screenshots in my game, so I don't have any pre-patch photos that have tree shadows in them. But that's what mine looked like too.

I just can't remember if mine got messed up with the Seasons patch or the ones after in July. I haven't played very much at all since Seasons released (I've been playing a lot of Skyrim and Fallout 4 instead), so I just can't pinpoint for sure.

I have noticed that it's not all trees, because the tree with lanterns from Movie Hangout does have the correct shadows. And I think I saw some pine trees in Forgotten Hollow that looked okay. This is indeed very strange. And you are running newer drivers than I am, so it's not something driver specific.

Message 20 of 71 (1,183 Views)