Re: [OPEN] Townies in worlds spawn with Asian names

by The_Ratticator

Original Post

Re: Lack of diversity in townies generated and townies don't stay in their world

[ Edited ]
★★ Guide

The same thing has been happening in my game since installing Snowy Escape. I love all the diverse names, but it seems that every time a new pack that introduces such names comes out, they completely dominate the townie pool. Currently, with Snowy Escape installed, almost every randomly-generated townie has a Japanese name. Indian and Pacific Islander names still appear, but in much smaller numbers, and townies with Moroccan names are nearly non-existent now. It's also a bit disappointing that the only way to get townies with Spanish names to spawn is to play in Selvadorada. It'd be really nice if we could see an even balance of all of these names.

Side note, I'm also noticing the aforementioned trend with Japanese townies almost always spawning with pale/cool skintones. There's another noticeable trend as well, that being how they almost always seem to have red or blonde hair as opposed to dark hair. Seriously, I'd say at least 90% of them at any given time have red of blonde hair. I have a thread on this.

Message 11 of 33 (2,508 Views)

Re: Lack of diversity in townies generated and townies don't stay in their world

★★ Guide

Happening here, too. 70-90 % of townies that are spawned have Japanese names. They have cool bluish skin tone and blond/platinum blond hair. Only a few base game name townies are spawning. Island living names have basically vanished. It started after Snowy escape. I want diversity, not 99% blond Japan. 

Message 12 of 33 (2,471 Views)

★ Guide

I've noticed this too, and I dont even have SE. And as others have said, I like asian names etc, but not like 90% of the townies having Japanese names. 

Message 13 of 33 (2,439 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★ Guide

Not gonna lie, I'm kind of disappointed that this issue hasn't been laundry listed yet. The townie generator has been totally broken since City Living came out, almost five years ago, and it's only been getting worse since then, with Snowy Escape and the skintone update breaking it even further. As of now, the latest fixation seems to be Japanese archetype, pale or cool skintone, and blonde hair. Note the blonde hair. Japanese archetype townies still very insistently generate with red or blonde hair the vast majority of the time.

Message 14 of 33 (2,400 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★ Novice

I too have noticed a lot of Asian names, more since I got Snowy Escape.  I disabled City Living, because you can't bulldoze or change the number of apartments.  Also I found most of the festivals there kinda lame.The lowest number you can set your game to for number of people is 80.  Let's lower that please. I try to be open minded but this is a little too saturated.  I wouldn't mind running into an Australian with a golden tan and sun bleached hair or a tall dark suave Italian.  There are so many countries to choose from.  I would love to see The Netherlands on here. I tried to take a snowy vacation with my children and you could barely move around, so I went through and deleted the majority of people in the towns I have, then bulldozed the lots. I also deleted the extra NPC's.  Went back on another vacation and we had the mountain practically to ourselves.  It was Great!  Forgot to delete the extra NPC's later when the family took a trip to a museum.  They were mobbed.  I couldn't get my family out of there fast enough. I would love a buff that says do not disturb. I would also like to be able to turn off the phone from time to time.  I personally have a cell phone, but I keep it in a drawer shut off and only take it out if I am going somewhere.  It would be nice if the people in charge of creating things for the game would put down the Chai Lattes stop talking about their feelings and really listened to those of us who don't run out and buy every pack.  Trust me, I have enough hair I won't use, clothes that look like they came from the Salvation Army or furniture and plastic looking objects to last me a lifetime. You just don't see good Tupperware anymore.

Message 15 of 33 (2,264 Views)

★★★★ Expert
@justinejeanetta This happens every time they release a new pack that adds a new culture. All previous culture names are gone and we only get names from the new one.
Message 16 of 33 (2,238 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★ Guide

This issue absolutely needs to be laundry listed sooner than later. The townie generator has literally been broken for years. Granted, this is definitely worse in some worlds than it is in others. For example, when playing in Henford-on-Bagley, you don't see townies with Japanese names very often. However, when playing in Britechester, nearly every single spawned townie is Japanese. Admittedly, the red/blonde thing has also improved somewhat. Now you occasionally see Japanese townies with brown hair, and you didn't used to. However, the noticeably predominant hair color among this archetype is still blonde. If this were to be more accurate to real life, black would be the most common hair color, brown would be uncommon, and red or blonde would be rare. This is an issue that is also reportedly causing problems with legacy or 100 baby challenges, because almost all of the spawned townies are of the same archetype.

Message 17 of 33 (2,054 Views)

★★★★★ Novice
@The_Ratticator ACTUALLY, it is not just the Snowy Escape that's doing this, this happened BEFORE the snowy escape, remember the oasis spring? well, hawaiian surnames and sims was added too, and they all seemed to wear the same skin tones (or sorta the same) and sorta the same hairstyle, it seems with every pack they add new sims in that's not currently living on the lot, and just takes up empty houses, pretty annoying, ngl.
Message 18 of 33 (1,929 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★★★ Novice

OMG, thank you I thought I was the only one with Japanese NPC popping all the time. Not to mention the fact they don't look like Japanese AT ALL with their blond hair and super pale skin (purple) or very dark. 

I "fixed" the issue by using the MCCC (new townies are taken from ma galley and not randomly generated) but it is a pity that we have to use a mod to fix the issue. EA/Maxis should really work on that, it is very annoying.

Message 19 of 33 (1,822 Views)

★★★ Guide

Me too, got Vintage glamour and snowy escape at the same time and all my butlers are Japanese.

Message 20 of 33 (1,801 Views)