Re: [OPEN] Toddlers cannot interact with extended family

by JonaO703

Original Post

Re: No toddler interaction w/ extended family

Hero
@lepetitemais Merged your post with current bug report on this.

Good Luck
Crin

Trennlinie

I don't work or have any association with EA. I give advice to the best of my knowledge and cannot be held responsible for any damage done to your computer/game.
Please only contact me via PM when asked to do so.

Important Threads

Message 31 of 63 (1,497 Views)

★★★★★ Apprentice
@crinrict Gosh darn it, I really thought I tried! Sorry for the extra work, thanks for the merge Standard smile
Message 32 of 63 (1,489 Views)

Hero
@lepetitemais If you could send your save to QA, that'd be great :D

Good Luck
Crin

Trennlinie

I don't work or have any association with EA. I give advice to the best of my knowledge and cannot be held responsible for any damage done to your computer/game.
Please only contact me via PM when asked to do so.

Important Threads

Message 33 of 63 (1,487 Views)

★★★★★ Apprentice
@crinrict Done! :D
Message 34 of 63 (1,468 Views)

[ Edited ]
★ Guide

I think I have this issue too?

My toddler sim can't talk to her famous aunts and uncles. She has "ask to read" and "friendly > attempt introduction" options. On the rest of her non famous family she has "talk to stranger". Any option I select for famous sims ends up cancelling. Some of her cousins who aren't famous have no interactions at all. Some have Talk to Stranger.

I never had this issue before now and I've had Get Famous a while now. Last night I installed Dine Out, Spa Day, Outdoor Retreat, and Jungle Adventure packs leaving only StrangerVille that I don't have. It's entirely possible given how hard it is to get famous that I just never had famous aunts and uncles but I have no way to know.

Here's a save to test right away. If you enter Grissom household in Forgotten Hollow (biggest house) they're having a family party. The toddler of the housheold can't interact with her cousin standing in front of her or her famous aunts or uncles (Look for Charles in front of toddler, Sara and Emma at Bar). If you JUST press play you'll also see another interesting part of this bug...my toddler has autonomously selected to talk to her uncle and they will talk but he won't gain any relationship with him or even list him as an acquaintance (and this happens when talking in a group too). https://drive.google.com/open?id=1N0MVtfuC0RHnvXt2eAnxzuEgZib4Gera

Message 35 of 63 (1,418 Views)

Re: [OPEN] Toddlers cannot interact with extended family

[ Edited ]
Champion

I haven't noticed this before but I've also not played a "legacy" game before now either.  In this game save,  I started with a mom, a dad and their toddler girl.  The mom and dad then had a baby boy.  Now the girl is an adult with a husband, a girl toddler and a girl child (this family is set as unplayed).  The baby boy is now a grown adult with a husband who had a baby boy, now a toddler (the current primary played household).  As another player mentioned, the toddler has a "show toy" option for family members older than toddler but there are no other  friendly interactions available for this boy toddler and his extended family.  This even applies to his grandmother even though she appears in his relationship panel as an acquaintance.   However, he gets the "talk to stranger" option for other NPC characters.  Even when I choose the "show toy" option, he just starts playing with the toy.  He does not gain any relationship points with the target sim.

Update:

This is a bit long but I did some testing and I wanted to capture as much detail as possible. As I said before, this is my first real "legacy" game. I also thought I should emphasize the boy toddler was produced from the "try for baby" option and aged up from baby while the girl toddler was generated through CAS.

For this test, I removed all mods before starting the game. Also, when I first discovered the issue, the two families had traveled to a park together. I wanted to test the interaction options available to the girl toddler but the boy kept disappearing. So, I had the girl toddler travel to his home and included her mother and the toddlers' grandfather. I used the modify in CAS cheat to switch between the two now "played" households.

The boy toddler still only had the "show toy" option. However, this time, as he was dancing when they arrived, he had the option to invite others to dance. He gained friendship points from his grandfather but not from his girl toddler cousin. Even with those friendship points, the grandfather is still only an acquaintance. The boy toddler had no other options for his grandfather or his aunt, who shows no relationship at all. I had the aunt do the "friendly introduction" with the boy toddler which gave them enough friendship points to show as friends in the relationship panel and the boy toddler then had the normal friendly interactions available. However, he still had no further options for his girl toddler cousin.

The girl toddler was also able to "invite to dance" and because she has the Charmer trait, she had the "share the love" option. When she shared the love with her boy toddler cousin, he pushed her away but, for whatever reason, they still gained a bunch of friendship points. Then, both toddlers had options to babble, hug, hug lovingly, etc.

So, I exited the game and when I restarted I used the fulledit cheat to change the girl toddler's trait to Angelic in CAS. After that, she had no options to interact with her boy toddler cousin. With the girl toddler active, a left-click on the boy toddler cousin generates the menu sound but no menu pops up. The boy toddler, at his home, only had the option "send home" for his girl toddler cousin.

Update 2:
Out of curiosity, I began a new save with no mods. Based on the below, the bug seems rather inconsistent.

The original family was Larry Smith, wife Melissa, son John and daughter Karen.

I moved John out and using CAS, added husband Shaun and toddler daughter Crystal.

I moved Karen out and using CAS, added husband Reese, child son Tony and toddler son Jason.

When John, Shaun and Crystal visited the family. Crystal had friendly interactions available for her aunt and cousins. She had talk to stranger available for uncle by marriage Reese. She had friendly interactions available for both grandparents.

When Karen, Reese, Tony and Jason visited the family, Jason had friendly interactions available for his cousin Crystal. He had talk to stranger available for his uncle by marriage Shaun. He had no options available for his bio-uncle John. He only had the call over option for his grandparents.

After checking all these options, I exited the game and added my mods. The only difference is there were some mod-specific interactions but none of the other available interactions changed.

I'm happy to share the save files if it helps but I need a bit more instruction.  I tried to attach the files here, per the QA instructions, and got an error that .save files are not supported.  Thanks to all who are working to resolve this!

CCP Champion Banner - Blue.png

Please help other players:
Add XP to posts you think are helpful.
Click Accept As Solution for posts that resolve your issue.
Happy Simming!

Message 36 of 63 (1,201 Views)

Toddler has no option to communicate with extended family members

★ Guide

Product: The Sims 4
Platform:Sony Playstation 4
Which language are you playing the game in? English
How often does the bug occur? Often (50% - 99%)
What is your current game version number? Ep10:26
What expansions, game packs, and stuff packs do you have installed? All but Star Wars
Steps: How can we find the bug ourselves? Clicking on grandparent, aunt, uncle, or cousin
What happens when the bug occurs? Toddler only has the option to send home. When in a group conversation with a parent and family me ever of other household, they will earn relationship but no ability to talk to them directly. Of course the parent doesn’t have the ability to “Talk up” toddlers. The toddler’s trait is “Inquisitive” with max communication skill which doesn’t seem like there should be any conflicting personality like “Clingy” or ability to speak.
What do you expect to see? Sims of all ages should be able to speak to any Sim if the player wants that to happen, especially a grandparent, aunt/uncle, cousin etc. Or the ability to introduce toddlers to other Sims and vice versa
Have you installed any customization with the game, e.g. Custom Content or Mods? On console - never used.
Did this issue appear after a specific patch or change you made to your system? Neutral/Not Sure 

I’ve had other toddlers that will at least give the option to “talk to stranger” even with low communication skills. There shouldn’t be anything preventing them to talk to others

Message 37 of 63 (1,109 Views)

Re: Toddler has no option to communicate with extended family members

★★ Guide

I have this problem as well. When relatives come to visit my family's home (as they often do because most of them are keyholders) the toddlers cannot interact with them at all. If a family friend comes over, the toddlers can use the "talk to stranger" interaction to speak with family friends, but not family members. 

My toddlers have several aunts and uncles, plus their grandparents, who come to visit our home, but because I cannot control the visiting NPC family members, my toddlers have never been able to actually meet their grandfather, grandmother, aunts, uncles, cousins, etc., even though they visit our household often. 

It's very, VERY sad that the game is coded in such a way that toddlers interacting with family members is basically prohibited. 

I totally get what other players have been saying about the lack of family oriented gameplay now. I've been playing The Sims since Sims 2, but this is the first time I've played a big, multi-generational family in Sims 4, and I was really looking forward to the kids meeting their grandparents, aunts, uncles, and cousins...until I realized it's not possible. (Side note, but being a keyholder isn't a factor in this problem. In my game, the grandparents are keyholders and the aunts/uncles are not...but the toddlers can't speak to any of them regardless.) 

It's a shame (and also ridiculous) that toddlers don't have the option to interact with family members who don't live in the household. They can talk to strangers, but not their own family members. How sad is that? 

Why not just add a "friendly introduction" option to the toddlers' social interactions? That'd solve the problem. There's NO reason for a toddler to NOT be able to introduce themselves to someone. Real life toddlers do it all the time. 

This needs to be fixed. 

Message 38 of 63 (1,038 Views)

[ Edited ]
★ Guide

Ridiculous that this is still happening three years later.  I'm having the same issue between two households.  Both mothers know each other (are mother and daughter) and each other's toddlers, but the two toddlers don't even have a relationship bar.  They can dance together, and even autonomously talk, but there is no relationship formed.  Mandy has all her skills maxed, Jenny's are medium, but her communication is level 3.  Jenny can interact with everyone in Mandy's household except for Mandy.  Screenshot shows the two of them in a group conversation, but with no relationship bar at all.  There are no interactions available between the two of them.

ETA:  I found a workaround for those using MC Command Center.  It may also be possible to do this with cheats.  Under the Relationships part of the MCC menu, you can force add a relationship between the toddlers.  They can then interact normally, as in second screenshot.

Message 39 of 63 (1,016 Views)

★★★ Apprentice

It seems like this just happens recently too.

I was able to get my toddler to talk to other toddler who are not their relatives just fine. I first thought both toddlers need communication skill at high level, but I can't get toddler to talk to his aunt while he can talk to uncle-in-law just fine.

Message 40 of 63 (984 Views)