Original Post

Accepted Solution

[FIXED] Toddlers cannot interact with extended family

[ Edited ]
★★★ Apprentice

Product: The Sims 4
Platform:PC
Which language are you playing the game in? English
How often does the bug occur? Every time (100%)
What is your current game version number? 1 45.62.1020
What expansions, game packs, and stuff packs do you have installed? All
Steps: How can we find the bug ourselves? The easiest way is to create households as follows: 1. Create a family consisting of an adult mother and father, a young adult daughter/son and a toddler. Move them into a house. 2. In Manage Households create a separate household with the young adult. Give this young adult a child in CAS. 3. Arrange for the two household to meet by going to one of their houses.
What happens when the bug occurs? The toddler is unable to interact in any way with his/her extended family. In this example his/her grandparents or the other toddler.
What do you expect to see? For the toddler to interact in the same way it would with other sims including toddlers.
Have you installed any customization with the game, e.g. Custom Content or Mods? Not now. I've removed them.
Did this issue appear after a specific patch or change you made to your system? Neutral/Not Sure 

This bug appears during ordinary play, not just when setting it up as detailed above and it means that toddlers can have no relationship with other toddlers in the extended family until one of them becomes a child as neither toddler can interact with each other. 

Edit By Crinrict: Adjusted Tag

Message 1 of 63 (13,365 Views)

Accepted Solution

Re: Toddlers cannot interact with extended family

Hero

We have addressed an issue where sometimes after traveling Toddlers would no longer be able to interact with extended family members (Who could blame them, just finished a long trip, you’re tired, probably need a change of clothes, a bath, a good sippy cup… who wants to talk with family?)

Fixed in Patch 1.96.365/1.71

If you're still experiencing this issue, please create a new thread.

Good Luck
Crin

Trennlinie

I don't work or have any association with EA. I give advice to the best of my knowledge and cannot be held responsible for any damage done to your computer/game.
Please only contact me via PM when asked to do so.

Important Threads

View in thread

Message 63 of 63 (1,684 Views)

All Replies

Hero
Wonder if it's related to the other issue you reported.

Good Luck
Crin

Trennlinie

I don't work or have any association with EA. I give advice to the best of my knowledge and cannot be held responsible for any damage done to your computer/game.

Important Threads

Message 2 of 63 (13,267 Views)

★★★ Apprentice

Maybe but this time the Toddler cannot talk to any other member of its extended family if they live in another house. They are not strangers like in the other issue. They just do not know them at all. 

Message 3 of 63 (13,251 Views)

Re: [TO TEST] Toddlers cannot interact with extended family

Hero
On Testing Backlog.

Good Luck
Crin

Trennlinie

Important Threads

Message 4 of 63 (13,168 Views)

Hero

Added this to the list as needs input to see if others have this issue.

Good Luck
Crin

Trennlinie

Important Threads

Message 5 of 63 (13,130 Views)
Highlighted

★★ Guide

I have had this issue for as long as I’ve had extended families in my game (a few months). The one workaround I found is that if the toddler has a toy in the inventory, then I can click a family member. It says “More Choices...” then I click “Friendly” (the only option) then I click “Show Toy to ...” (again, the only option).

It’s literally the only interaction available between the toddler and her aunts, uncles, grandparents, cousins. Which really stinks, but at least it starts to build a relationship between them.

Message 6 of 63 (13,097 Views)

Re: [NEEDS INPUT] Toddlers cannot interact with extended family

★★★★ Guide
I have this issue as well. It's strange that they can't even have a friendship with their grandparents. Well that is if they don't live in same household.
Message 7 of 63 (13,080 Views)

Champion
Have you tried the reverse and have the grandparents do an introduction on the toddler first? I noticed in m6 game toddlers couldn’t introduce themselves to others, but adults can greet toddlers and once they’ve been greeted they can interact.
Message 8 of 63 (13,061 Views)

★★★★★ Apprentice

Hi there !

I'm annoyed by this as well but I really don't think it's a glitch as it's been the case ever since they added toddlers to the game (and I believe it was the same for the Sims 3). In my opinion, as they are small children, the team probably thought it more realistic for toddlers not to interact with unknown sims. It would make sense IF family members didn't consider each other as strangers before they "meet" for the first time. Problem is that they do, so, as it has been said, toddlers can't interact with their grandparents or cousins if not in the same household.

To me it's uncanny, even beyond the toddler issue, that family members' relationships don't start off with a boost (similarly to sims in the same household) since their usually is a certain, undeniable bond, that can wear off obviously with time if not maintained. I would have loved some sort of setting taking under consideration the different links between sims, so for instance grandchildren/grandparents could start of at 40, cousins and uncles/aunts at 30, and then if sims don't see each other or do anything together, the relationship would wear off similarly to any relationship in the game. I feel like this way, there would be more appreciation for family ties, but still leave room for storytelling. I mean overall, the family aspect of the game is lacking... I hate that we don't have links such as son/daughter/brother/sister in law which is a pretty special relationship as well, or the fact that once sims are married, the don't become uncle/aunt to the other sims' niece/nephew. It's like sims are only married to each other and not the family... Sad! 

Anyway, I'd love for it to change but I don't see that happening in the Sims 4, it probably is too much to work on/around as the game has been set as is... But if it CAN be altered, it would definitely make the gameplay more interesting as more family members would be involved. There is so much around family dynamics that is missing in the game, for instance I also hate that grandparents/aunts/uncles/cousins can't be called to babysit for instance. How come you can hire a nanny, a complete stranger, but not a family member? It doesn't make sense to me... A nanny that will, by the way, show up with a tremendous relationship boost with the children (maybe a similar setting could be added to family members so that when they encounter another member for the first time - find themselves in the same lot basically - they get a relationship boost CAUSE ITS FAMILY^^)...  

But, I'm digressing here... To cope with the toddler and overall family issue, I try to first of all invite them as much as possible and include them in the toddler's activity without actually interacting (since they can't). So, for instance, i'll have the toddler play a game and have him ask for help/assistance (the cubes are a good one) to whoever I want him to build a relationship with, or i'll have him show a toy, or dance together. After a little while, once the relationship has increased a bit, you can start basic interactions such as chatting, ask to play, read a story and whatnot. It's annoying because obviously it could be much simpler, but it works... And when I really don't have the patience I'll just set all the children's relationships manually with MCC (does feel like cheating^^).

Hope it helps !  

Message 9 of 63 (13,054 Views)

★★★ Apprentice

"... it more realistic for toddlers not to interact with unknown sims..."

This is not the case as toddlers can interact with other strangers except if they are family members. It would be very strange if they made it so that toddlers couldn't interact with any adults as that is not very realistic. Many toddlers love their grandparents, aunts, uncles and cousins as well as other people they come into contact with regularly. I hope they fix this problem.

Message 10 of 63 (13,038 Views)