Re: Toddler has no option to communicate with extended family members

by funnyhamtaro

Original Post

★★★ Apprentice

Also just to follow up. After my toddler aged up, he has to reintroduce himself to all the relative sims that he can't interact with. I think there might be some bug on the condition check for cousins/aunts/uncles that were excluded out or something.

Message 41 of 63 (972 Views)

★★★ Apprentice

Another thing to add is that I manage to get one of the cousins from different household to talk to the toddler. It looks I somehow have to get them into a group conversations with other sims and somehow get their relationship to get up higher. 

Could it be that having zero relationship point somehow prevent toddler from talking to his/her relatives outside household?

Message 42 of 63 (948 Views)

★★★ Apprentice

Any progress on this issue? It looks like it has something to do with cousins toddlers are technically not strangers, so they can't establish their relationships by "talk to stranger" and hence there can be no interaction between them at all.

Message 43 of 63 (864 Views)

[ Edited ]
Champion

It has been a very long time since I've encountered this issue but it has shown up again in my game.  Previously, I thought it might have just been contained to sims with the Beloved trait, so I've avoided having any sims with that trait.  However, my current sims had to introduce themselves to the toddler and now the toddler is not able to interact with his aunt or his cousins.  He does have the option to "talk to stranger" with his uncle by marriage.  Has it really been three years since this thread was started?? :-(

Edit: One of the toddler's dads is famous so maybe that is part of the problem?

Edit 2:  These guys just had another baby.  The famous dad didn't need to introduce himself but the non-famous dad did.  This bug is so dumb!  Someone please fix it.

CCP Champion Banner - Blue.png

Please help other players:
Add XP to posts you think are helpful.
Click Accept As Solution for posts that resolve your issue.
Happy Simming!

Message 44 of 63 (806 Views)

★ Guide

Definitely it’s not to do with the trait of the child. I’ve had even clingy toddlers able to interact and others able to or not so it just doesn’t seem to be anything specific. It’s very annoying and more often than a random occurrence for me to think it’s a bug.

Message 45 of 63 (772 Views)

Re: [OPEN] Toddlers cannot interact with extended family

★★ Guide

I've got a really annoying workaround if anyone is willing to do this: I currently have my main family in one households, and three other households of extended family. I invite everyone to one lot, then take turns playing as the extended family just long enough to do "friendly introduction" to every toddler as every extended family member. It takes maybe an hour if you have a big family and multiple toddlers. I really hope this issue gets addressed some time soon. It's been years.

Message 46 of 63 (751 Views)

Champion

@Felicat82 Thank you!  Somehow I missed your post earlier.  I didn't even think about using MCCC for this.  I wanted to add a couple things for anyone else who doesn't mind using MCCC to fix it.  Sorry this doesn't help console players though. :-(

It took me a minute to figure out that you have to use the option to add relationship for the Active sim.

1. Click your toddler thumbnail to make them active.

2. Click the target sim; ie. cousin, aunt, grandma

3. Click MC Command Center

4. Click Relationships

5. Click Set Active Relationship Levels...

6. Click Set Active Friendly...

7. Click whichever level you want the toddler to have with the target sim; ie. Liked, Good Friends, etc.

Done!  Close the menu and repeat for whichever sims you want the toddler to be able to interact with.

I'm enjoying the game so much more now that my toddlers can interact with their family members.  I admit I got some feels when they hugged their grandparents for the first time.  It would be great if this bug could be fixed without using a mod though.  Hopefully soon!

CCP Champion Banner - Blue.png

Please help other players:
Add XP to posts you think are helpful.
Click Accept As Solution for posts that resolve your issue.
Happy Simming!

Message 47 of 63 (702 Views)

[ Edited ]
★ Guide

This happened to me too as I played yesterday. A toddler couldn't interact with his grandparent at all. I thought it was weird, but didn't think much of it until I saw this thread (I can't remember whether I have encountered the same problem before).

I dealt with it so that in manage households I transfered the toddler to the grandparent household. That gives them immediately a relationship boost. Then in play mode I clicked the toddler with the grandparent and chose "adopt as caregiver" and with the grandparent I clicked the toddler and chose "adopt as care dependent" (and did the same with the other grandparent as well), so that they were able to take care of the toddler easily. The toddler spent a couple of days visiting his grandparents and it was lovely. I like them visiting a bit longer Standard smile

Anyway it is strange that, after I had transferred the toddler back to his parents I added a second toddler to the family in CAS and invited the grandmother over, and this new toddler can interact with her grandmother right away and has the same interaction options for her mother and the grandmother, though she hasn't actually even met her grandmother yet. I wonder why she can interact with her grandparent right away, but her brother couldn't.

// I transferred the second toddler to the grandparent household and it turned out she already had her grandmother and grandfather set as caregivers, though I hadn't done it! I assume it is because her brother had grandparents as caregivers, so the game somehow copied this setting to her as well.

Message 48 of 63 (678 Views)

★ Guide

I found this interesting and thought it could be somehow related to this issue.

I was playing with the other grandparent household of the family I talked about in my previous message. I was about to make this grandmother travel somewhere when I noticed that she could travel with her granddaughter that she had never met. I can't see the granddaughter in her relationships, but when the grandmother is about to travel I can see the granddaughter in her contacts (picture). They have no relationship bar, but the game seems to recognise that they are related.

I wonder why the granddaughter is connected to all her grandparents right away but the grandson isn't.

Message 49 of 63 (640 Views)

★★★★★ Apprentice

Currently having this issue.

Toddler can't interact with their grandparent at home, I cheated the relationship and I still don't get any interaction options.

As well when I try to use the only interaction they have (Story from inquisitive trait) it just doesn't react.

This is the first time I've had this kind of issue.

Added to that when I go to the friend list of the toddler, her grandpa is the only one who doesn't have the option "open Sim Profile".

Message 50 of 63 (604 Views)