by crinrict

Original Post

[NEEDS SAVES] Toddler stuck on the landing of the stairs

[ Edited ]
★★★ Novice

Product: The Sims 4
Platform:PC
Which language are you playing the game in? English
How often does the bug occur? Often (50% - 99%)
What is your current game version number? 1.58.63.1010
What expansions, game packs, and stuff packs do you have installed? City Living, Get to Work, Vampires, Dine Out, Outdoor Retreat, Toddler Stuff, Bowling Night Stuff, Backyard Stuff, Movie Night Stuff, Spooky Stuff, Luxury Party Stuff
Steps: How can we find the bug ourselves? I don't know, the toddler seems to do this themselves when they are hungry and trying to go downstairs for food. I make no commands.
What happens when the bug occurs? The toddler seems to be hungry, and is a new toddler who doesn't have the movement skill to be able to go downstairs, yet they go down the stairs anyway, somehow. Usually a happy glitch, because in another house I have had toddlers in, they were actually able to go down the stairs and make it all the way down. Now, I have no idea how this person did this in build mode, (I have a simmer build from the gallery placed that I am using--vicjan21's 100 Baby Challenge house) but there is a landing on these stairs, before making it all the way to the bottom, and there's a bit of stairs yet. Now, my toddler is stuck on this landing. Because NOW the game realizes this is a toddler who can't use the stairs. I have tried telling two different sims to pick him up, and they are stuck on the opposite side of the stairs, and I even tried to catch a sim, while they were still on the landing, to command them to pick the toddler up. They totally ignored the stuck toddler next to them and also went to the opposite side of the stairs, where they can't reach the darn toddler! Sorry this is such a long and complicated explanation, but I have also tried closing out to the main menu and reloading the game, (which usually works for other bugs) but it did not work this time. I actually did this twice and it did not help.
What do you expect to see? The toddler who is not yet at level 2 of the movement skill to NOT be able to go down the stairs and cause a glitch.
Have you installed any customization with the game, e.g. Custom Content or Mods? Never used.
Did this issue appear after a specific patch or change you made to your system? Neutral/Not Sure 

For the sake of this child and my 100 Baby Challenge, I think I am just going to evict the home and do it that way, but this is still annoying, and I don't know of anyone else having this issue. 

Edit By Crinrict: Adjusted Tag

Message 1 of 12 (8,938 Views)
Highlighted

Re: Toddler stuck on the landing of the stairs

Hero
@meganreafer Did you try resetting the toddler yet ? Use testing cheats, then right-click in the toddler and pick the reset option

Good Luck
Crin

Trennlinie

I don't work or have any association with EA. I give advice to the best of my knowledge and cannot be held responsible for any damage done to your computer/game.
Please only contact me via PM when asked to do so.

Important Threads

Message 2 of 12 (8,904 Views)

Re: [NEEDS INPUT] Toddler stuck on the landing of the stairs

★★★ Novice

I had this issue just today. Go into build mode. Delete the stairs. The toddler will relocate to the floor because the object has been deleted. Go to live mode and move the toddler out of the way. Re-place the stairs. 
It's a pain but this is the way around it until it gets fixed.

Message 3 of 12 (8,805 Views)

★★★★★ Apprentice

Definitely have noticed this as well in my own 100 baby challenge. The house my family lives in has a staircase that turns 180 degrees in the middle, and occasionally a newly aged toddler will go up the bottom part of the staircase looking for an interaction with a family member that is upstairs and then gets stuck in the middle because the game remembers that the toddler is not supposed to be able to climb stairs yet.

Message 4 of 12 (7,113 Views)

★ Apprentice

Yeah, having this problem right now. Toddler was aged up and immediately the father decided he wanted to play dolls with her with the dollhouse on the second floor (ignoring the superior doll house on the ground floor). Toddler got to the landing in the middle of the stairs and is now stuck. Father can't pick her up either. He can to to the landing but when I use the 'pick up' command he immediately goes back down to the ground floor before waving his arms about. Luckily, I was about to move them out anyway.

Message 5 of 12 (5,698 Views)

Re: Toddler stuck on the landing of the stairs

★★ Novice

Hi Crin,

the point of putting this bug report in is to make EA aware that there is a problem for them to fix.  We shouldn't have to resort to resetting toddlers every time this happens.  

It's good to tell people to reset the sim in the meantime until there's a fix, but that's not a fix in itself.  Hopefully this bug report lets the programmers become aware of the issue and hopefully implement a proper fix.  

Plus it lets other people who are having this issue too know that they are not the only ones, and that there's already a bug report in for this issue.

Cheers,

Kaypurr

Message 6 of 12 (5,003 Views)

Re: [OPEN] Toddler stuck on the landing of the stairs

★★★★★ Apprentice

I just had this issue for the first time, interesting to see it hasn't been fixed yet.  After resetting the sim didn't work, I deleted the staircase, then undid the deletion (so as not to waste money).  Worked fine.

Message 7 of 12 (4,464 Views)

Toddler Stuck on Landing

★★ Novice

Product: The Sims 4
Platform:PC
Which language are you playing the game in? English
How often does the bug occur? Occasionally (10% - 49%)
What is your current game version number? 1.75.125.1030
What expansions, game packs, and stuff packs do you have installed? All of them, including the new Dream Home Decorator. (All expansion, all stuff, all game packs and all kits).
Steps: How can we find the bug ourselves? Let a newly aged up toddler crawl downstairs with a landing. The stairs should be double width, not single width (it hasn't happened to me with single-width stairs that included a landing).
What happens when the bug occurs? The toddler is stuck on a landing. When I try to get him to go back up, or continue going down, he indicates that he can't go where I'm telling him. Also, when I try to send a parent to interact with the toddler (pick him up, or basically anything) they also tell me they can't go there (although they will go up and down the stairs, walking right through the toddler).
What do you expect to see? The toddler not being stuck on the landing.
Have you installed any customization with the game, e.g. Custom Content or Mods? Not now. I've removed them.
Did this issue appear after a specific patch or change you made to your system? Neutral/Not Sure 

This newly aged up toddler followed his dad downstairs and got himself stuck on a landing. These are the troubleshooting steps I have tried so far:

• Disabled all mods
  • Restarted game (several times now)
  • tried the resetSim Firstname Lastname 'cheat' (no luck)
  • tried enabling testingcheats and then did a reset object debug (also no luck)

So far, this is the only time I've had this happen, but this is also the first time I've had a toddler in a house with a double-wide landing on stairs (this did not happen in another game with a home using a single-wide staircase). 

Message 8 of 12 (4,351 Views)

Re: Toddler Stuck on Landing

[ Edited ]
★★★★★ Apprentice

@Kleineganz Have you tried teleporting him off the stairs? Just hold shift and left click on the ground somewhere and click teleport here, that should get him unstuck

What's his movement skill at, if it's below 2, he's stuck because he don't have the skill to walk up and down the stairs.

Message 9 of 12 (4,344 Views)

Re: Toddler Stuck on Landing

★★ Novice

That did it! Thanks. 

He is a newly aged-up toddler, so yeah he barely has any movement skill, yet he managed to get down to that landing by himself (the little rascal!). 

Message 10 of 12 (4,319 Views)