Original Post

Accepted Solution

[FIXED] Stairs go way into ground when placing stairs near foundations

[ Edited ]
★ Apprentice

Product: The Sims 4
Platform:PC
Which language are you playing the game in? English
How often does the bug occur? Every time (100%)
What is your current game version number? 1.47.51.1020
What expansions, game packs, and stuff packs do you have installed? Get together, cats and dogs, city living, dine out, kitchen stuff
Steps: How can we find the bug ourselves? Build a house, and make a square room. Delete the floor in that room. This should now look like a garage. Place a 'flat square' (under walls section) against the wall. Now place stairs from the square to the garage floor.
What happens when the bug occurs? Upon placing the stairs, the stairs will cut far into the ground.
What do you expect to see? I expect the stairs to go from the square to the ground level.
Have you installed any customization with the game, e.g. Custom Content or Mods? Never used.
Did this issue appear after a specific patch or change you made to your system? Yes
Please describe the patch or change you made. November 2018 update which introduced terrain tools.

This has been an issue ever since the November 2018 update came through with the terrain editing. I think terrain editing is great, but for some reason when I have an area within a foundation with the floor removed to the ground is exposed, when trying to place stairs from the house to a room like this, the stairs go all the way into the ground and do not stop at the normal ground level. If I try to override this situation by placing a cement floor, I will get a message saying incompatible with terrain constraint terraintile OR incompatible with terrain constraint lotedge (despite it not being near the edge of the lot) . I think the picture is pretty self-explanatory. This happens 100% of the time.

Can we get the stairs to go from the square to the height of whatever the terrain happens to be? If I do dig or raise the terrain, the stairs should be sized to reflect that.

11-23-18_4-31-54 PM.png

Message 1 of 10 (10,369 Views)

Accepted Solution

Re: [OPEN] Stairs go way into ground when placing stairs near foundations

★ Apprentice

@crinrictGood news. It appears that the issue is fixed. I was not able to replicate the issue. Thank you to everyone involved in this solution.

View in thread

Message 10 of 10 (5,465 Views)

All Replies

Re: [TO TEST] Stairs go way into ground when placing stairs near foundations

[ Edited ]
Hero (Retired)

@anthonydyer Since terrain tools have been added, we have to follow different steps when we want to split level.  I highly recommend watching a tutorial on youtube to learn the new method.  In a nutshell, we cannot split levels within rooms anymore, but we can make the split level space behave like a room, and stairs will not sink into the ground using the new method.  It's a bit more work, but the good news is that we can create a multi-split now!  So while I can't categorize this behavior as a bug, I do encourage you to post feedback on what you like and don't like about the new terrain tools and game behavior either on the game forums or via Twitter (or other social media).

Update: looks like it will be considered a bug, so I'll add it to our list.

Message 2 of 10 (10,243 Views)

★ Apprentice

I disagree. I wouldn't even consider this split leveling. There is no reason why I can't have stairs going from the house level to the ground level without going into the ground. This is just like a garage or sunk in family room. I don't understand what would trigger the stairs to go far into the ground like that, unless I already dug into the ground.

Message 3 of 10 (10,201 Views)

★★★ Guide

12-08-18_3-03-57 PM.png

12-08-18_3-04-50 PM.png

Thought I should add my input as well. This pretty annoying as making split level homes seems impossible now. Also when I delete the wall, this happens.

Message 4 of 10 (10,109 Views)
Highlighted

Re: [TO TEST] Stairs go way into ground when placing stairs near foundations

★★★ Newbie
I’ve watched the video and it still does it for me? I’m struggling to make a simple house and I can’t figure this out. Is there maybe a video on how to just do one stair?
Message 5 of 10 (9,534 Views)

★ Novice

I found that the stairs will snap to the outside of the building just fine. So, I simply deleted a wall in the room i want to split level (to make the game think it was outside), placed the stairs, and then put the wall back. The stairs will stay the same level for the split in my experience Standard smile

Message 6 of 10 (8,424 Views)

★★★ Apprentice

Sometimes this works, but I have also had issues where I tried this but the stairs were deleted when I placed the wall. It takes a lot of fiddling to get a split level. The placement of stairs is way too limited.

Message 7 of 10 (6,685 Views)

★★★ Apprentice

I’m also having an issue with stairs that just came up in my game. Part of the stair railings seem to be missing.

Message 8 of 10 (6,397 Views)

Hero
@anthonydyer Is this issue still happening ?

Good Luck
Crin

Trennlinie

I don't work or have any association with EA. I give advice to the best of my knowledge and cannot be held responsible for any damage done to your computer/game.
Please only contact me via PM when asked to do so.

Important Threads

Message 9 of 10 (5,505 Views)

★ Apprentice

@crinrictGood news. It appears that the issue is fixed. I was not able to replicate the issue. Thank you to everyone involved in this solution.

Message 10 of 10 (5,466 Views)