by Dwestacular

Original Post

[NEEDS INPUT] Some non-electrical lights won't function without power

[ Edited ]
Hero (Retired)

Product: The Sims 4
Platform:PC
Which language are you playing the game in? English
How often does the bug occur? Every time (100%)
What is your current game version number? n/a
What expansions, game packs, and stuff packs do you have installed? All
Steps: How can we find the bug ourselves? In live mode, play until the electricity is shut off on your home lot (either play long enough for bills to arrive and fail to pay them or select one of the apartments from City Living that is subject to mechanical breakdowns and wait until the power shuts off). Place any of the lights listed below: Gilded Flame Floor Lamp, Scented Citronella, Spooky Candelabra, Tawdry Tawny Truedawn, lANTern, Modern Field Lantern, Aglow Aromatics, Loti Lotus Lantern, Small Victorian Candle Chandelier, Rustic Candle Chandelier, Large Vaulted Victorian Chandelier, Gothic Candle Wall Sconce, Four Festive Candles, ho, ho, ho!, Rangoli Ground Candles, 3 Senses Oil Lamp, Lilacs and Lanterns, Lightbringer Vista, Lightbringer Portable, No Fear Night Lantern, Moonlight Lantern, Origami Tree Luminaries, Illuminated Pillar, Metal Scalloped Lantern, Illuminating Silhouette, Blooming Lights
What happens when the bug occurs? The lights will go dark when placed and cannot be turned on until the electricity is restored to the home.
What do you expect to see? As these lights are non-electrical (candles, gas lanterns, portables, etc.), and as other similar non-electrical lights retain their functionality without power, I expect to see them lit when placed and to have the ability to turn them on and off. Below is a list of lights that are functional with the power out: A Story of Three Candles, The Definitive, Two Thousand Ounces of Gold Under the Sea, Of Fire and Ice, Holey Moley Divider, BrightDark Triplet Totem Candles, Light in a Bottle, Little Light, Candle's Crib, Menorah, Kinara, Smoreworthy Candles
Have you installed any customization with the game, e.g. Custom Content or Mods? Never used.
Did this issue appear after a specific patch or change you made to your system? No

Note that some of the functioning non-electrical lights actually have an option to turn on "All Candles," for instance The Definitive object has this option.  Some, however, do not; A Story of Three Candles is lit when placed, for instance, but if you turn it off, there is no option to turn it back on.  If you choose to turn on "All Candles" from a different, fully functioning object, such as The Definitive, A Story of Three Candles will then turn back on.

Message 1 of 4 (2,301 Views)

Re: [OPEN] Some non-electrical lights won't function without power

★★ Guide

I’ve been compiling this unintentionally when every time I run into a non-candle candle. Here are the screenshots I took. Notice these candles don’t have the candle specific options as @BryonyRae mentioned, and are not treated as candles by the game.

Message 2 of 4 (2,193 Views)

★★ Guide

Here are more. The last picture is the ceiling light from the Vampire GP.

Message 3 of 4 (2,192 Views)
Highlighted

★★★★★ Apprentice

I am like 80% sure this is caused by those candles being tagged as Lights, and the functional ones being counted as Decor.
So maybe not by design, but it kinda makes sense by that logic (but unfortunately not by IRL logic)

Message 4 of 4 (2,049 Views)