by crinrict

Original Post

[OPEN] Sims stop/are stopped from reading

[ Edited ]
★★ Expert

Product: The Sims 4
Platform:PC
Which language are you playing the game in? English
How often does the bug occur? Often (50% - 99%)
What is your current game version number? n/a
What expansions, game packs, and stuff packs do you have installed? Backyard SP, Cool Kitchen SP, Fitness SP
Steps: How can we find the bug ourselves? play a Sim.
What happens when the bug occurs? they don't always finish books, or even read for that long a time.
What do you expect to see? reading for a while, not just "browse" or leave the book on the floor after just a while.
Have you installed any customization with the game, e.g. Custom Content or Mods? Not now. I've removed them.
Did this issue appear after a specific patch or change you made to your system? No

this has been happening from the start, (i think maybe a little less, recently, but i could be wrong as it's still a thing) or at least i have noticed it even when i only owned the base game.

if i tell a Sim to read, sometimes they will read the book from cover to cover. but more often than not they will be interrupted, (with a hug, for example) and they might either keep reading or not. i've seen it a lot with skill books and with the TV being on, too. i tell the Sim to read, she reads for a tiny bit, puts the book on the floor, stares at the TV (or just stops, no other distraction), etc. i end up sending Sims to the library (even those with the Bookworm trait) if they need to finish a book. (much like in real life, eh?) this is the best way to make sure they both sit down and read the whole book.

if the Sim autonomously chooses a book, they will often "browse". this either means standing in front of the bookshelf turning a book's pages, or walking to a chair/bed to sit down, turn a few pages, then go all the way back to replace the book. or, more often, leave it on the floor. this last part, you guessed it, happens more often when they're interrupted by another Sim.

i've had this happen with autonomy both on and off. they will read for longer if they are directed to, as opposed to choosing to read on their own, but it's still quite random.

Edit By Crinrict: Adjusted Tag

Message 14 of 42 (5,517 Views)

[OPEN] Sims stop reading books to watch TV

[ Edited ]
★★★★★ Novice

I also have this issue.  I didn't try with autonomy off--which I might attempt later.  However, a sim who actually has the bookworm trait refuses to sit and read even if she hasn't finished the book before.  I don't remember having the issue before the City Living expansion, but it might've been there--I haven't played much in a while.

Basically I couldn't get my sim to sit and read until I removed the TV from the house.  She would always self-interrupt to go turn the TV on and watch it instead.  And yet she will autonomously pick up books and then leave them lying around.  I haven't noticed her sticking to the choice to read when she does it on her own, but maybe she does and I just end up interrupting her.

This is not a club situation; my sim is not a member of any club.  It happened on her home lot in an apartment.

I don't even know if just removing the TV will fix it in all situations, but whatever it is about the magnetic pull of the TV vs. books, that needs fixing so bookworms and studious skillbook reading sims can read again.

Message 1 of 42 (6,115 Views)

Re: [FIXED] Sims will autonomously stop reading books before they're finished

★★★★★ Apprentice

Yeah my sims do this as well. I always have to babysit them and keep clicking on the book over and over to get them to finish reading it.

Message 2 of 42 (6,098 Views)

Re: Sims will autonomously stop reading books before they're finished

[ Edited ]
Hero

Just to be sure, this is when you direct them to read a book not when they decide to do it on their own ?

This may be a new issue (the not sitting down for sure is) since it only seems to happen when you have a TV present.

Could you go to the library to see if it also happens there ?

EDT: This seems to be a new issue. I don't think it's connected to the old fixed one.

Making a new thread out of it

Good Luck
Crin

Trennlinie

I don't work or have any association with EA. I give advice to the best of my knowledge and cannot be held responsible for any damage done to your computer/game.
Please only contact me via PM when asked to do so.

Important Threads

Message 3 of 42 (6,089 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★★★ Apprentice

The issue has only happened to me at home, I believe, but I will go to a library and try this out and see if it persists.

EDIT: It seems that my sims will finish books without an issue at libraries, I do indeed think it's just at home where they have this issue so far!

Message 4 of 42 (6,074 Views)

★★★★★ Guide

Confirm, I see this as well

Message 5 of 42 (6,051 Views)
Highlighted

Hero

Duplicated and added

Good Luck
Crin

Trennlinie

I don't work or have any association with EA. I give advice to the best of my knowledge and cannot be held responsible for any damage done to your computer/game.
Please only contact me via PM when asked to do so.

Important Threads

Message 6 of 42 (6,035 Views)

Re: [OPEN] Sims stop reading books to watch TV

★★★ Novice

Even after putting in the order to read a book, my sim gets distracted, stops reading, and starts doing something else. Again, after the toddler's update. 

Message 7 of 42 (6,007 Views)

★★★★ Novice

They do the same thing when mixing drinks, my sim always stops to view something in the distance. So yes, while reading the Vampire book and having a TV in front of the sim he/she always stops reading, the bar disappears and he/she watches TV instead... I always need to cancel that action from the queue.

Message 8 of 42 (5,996 Views)

★ Guide

My sim stops reading books to watch TV, too.

I have to let her go to the community park to read the book.

Message 9 of 42 (5,986 Views)