by invisiblgirl

Original Post

Sims wont stay sitting while eating nor pick close by chairs or couches

[ Edited ]
★★★★ Novice

Product: The Sims 4
Platform:PC
Which language are you playing the game in? English
How often does the bug occur? Every time (100%)
What expansions, game packs, and stuff packs do you have installed? Pretty much everything. Latest was Pets and Season, and this bug didn't happen as often as after the latest patch following Seasons.
Steps: How can we find the bug ourselves? Try to make your Sim eat a meal. Make sure you have a two story house with sitting furniture on the second floor. And a porch far away from the kitchen and with sitting places. And make sure you got several fitting sitting places like a dining table right by the kitchen (which your sims will blatantly ignore).
What happens when the bug occurs? The Sim gets super confused about where the heck to sit their butts down to eat their food. It doesn't matter if there's a dining table nearby with fitting chairs, or even a couch a room away. They'll pick chairs that are in the second floor, right above the kitchen, thus run all the way through the house to find a place to sit and eat. Like they don't plan a route according to what's nearby on the same floor, rather what's closest on the floor above. And then when they finally manage to sit down, they start getting up for no reason, getting up to pet the dog, getting up to stand and talk to someone, getting up to stand in the middle of the room and look confused, etc. Basically, getting these sims to complete a meal takes forever (and a ton of micro managing), and they got school in the morning so it gets super infuriating when you can't get these guys to eat, toilet and shower even though you wake them hours on beforehand, because the meal takes hours upon hours of you having to micro manage them until the meal is eaten.
What do you expect to see? Them being told to eat, followed by them sitting their butts down at the nearest possible seating location (on the same floor!), finishing the entire meal while sitting on the same chair that entire time, thus the meal taking max an hour or so before they can run off to do the other stuff they gotta do before school. Definitely less micromanaging, I've got a big household I can't keep watching them all individually to make sure they manage to eat a meal, or have to pester them 4-6 times just to remind them that they forgot to eat the food they're holding (or that they discarded cause they don't care what I tell them to do)!
Have you installed any customization with the game, e.g. Custom Content or Mods? Not now. I've removed them.
Did this issue appear after a specific patch or change you made to your system? Yes
Please describe the patch or change you made. It wasn't this bad until the patches in July. I haven't had mods at all since before Pets came out, and this eating stuff wasn't half as bad back then nor right after Seasons was unleashed. ‌

..‌.

Message 11 of 120 (6,980 Views)

Re: Sims wont stay sitting while eating nor pick close by chairs or couches

Hero
Hi @chrystalrubin

merged your post with existing thread.

Would you be willing to share your save with QA as asked on the first page ?

Good Luck
Crin

Trennlinie

I don't work or have any association with EA. I give advice to the best of my knowledge and cannot be held responsible for any damage done to your computer/game.
Please only contact me via PM when asked to do so.

Important Threads

Message 12 of 120 (6,962 Views)

★★★★ Novice

I would, but I managed to alleviate the problem a bit now by deleting all sitting furniture on the second floor, as well as kicking two of the kids out. The sims will still rather stand and eat than sit down someplace, and they more or less always pick the living room couch over the dining furniture when they actually do sit down, but at least now they've stopped running around the house with the food plate and it's a little easier to get them to eat. It's a shame though, they had a cute porch upstairs that is now pretty empty without the cosy garden furniture. But it was the only thing that would stop them from going upstairs to eat. They are still very distractible though, often abandoning eating to go to other stuff. 

Do I add my save to a post here?

Message 13 of 120 (6,951 Views)

Hero
You basically upload to either google drive or onedrive and either post the link here or PM the link to @SimGuruIcarus

Good Luck
Crin

Trennlinie

I don't work or have any association with EA. I give advice to the best of my knowledge and cannot be held responsible for any damage done to your computer/game.
Please only contact me via PM when asked to do so.

Important Threads

Message 14 of 120 (6,945 Views)

Re: [OPEN] Sims sit somewhere else or stand instead of eating at table

[ Edited ]
★ Guide

Sims standing in front of the refrigerator is the worst and they do it a lot - no one else can get food unless you make them move. Sims also stand a lot when watching TV. I have basically given up on families/friends ever being able to eat at a table together - it is either the musical chairs, hugs, pets, standing, or something. Only setting the table seems to help some but that is constant vigilance to make sure the table is always set.

Message 15 of 120 (6,905 Views)

★★★★ Novice

My Sims are obsessed with standing in front of the refrigerator and eating. There are breakfast bars and dining tables everywhere. This also blocks the fridge from other Sims trying to eat. 

Message 16 of 120 (6,894 Views)

★ Novice

@ErikaBuilds wrote:

My Sims are obsessed with standing in front of the refrigerator and eating. There are breakfast bars and dining tables everywhere. This also blocks the fridge from other Sims trying to eat. 

i noticed this happens when the food is in the fridge, when my sim cooks and directly gets a serving from it or when the food is already on a counter/table she would find a seat. i think it's the fridge that's causing the problem for me..since i only play 1 sim, from then on i always cook a single meal but when i have guests and there would be extra food..i make sure to drag them out of the fridge to the counter before asking her to get one 😥

Message 17 of 120 (6,805 Views)

★★★ Guide

This has been a problem for a very long time - IIRC since around the time Parenthood and the toddlers came out. Sims will take food, but unless someone else is sitting at the dining table, they won't use it. Instead they'll wander through the entire house to sit down as close as possible to any other sim, and if they're the only sim on the lot they'll  just stand close to where they got the food and eat it there, rather than finding a place to sit. The distance from the food to the nearest seat doesn't seem to make any difference.

Even when the food is placed on the dining table, they'll still take a serving and head off to sit wherever the most sims are gathered. It doesn't matter if they know these sims or even like them. They'll much rather eat with a sim they hate than sit close to where they are.

It really should work like it does in sims 2 and 3: 1. Look for dining table, 2. then look for seat at counter, 3. look for any other seat to eat. I mean, they used to resort to sitting on the bathtub and eat, rather than stand in front of the fridge and block the path for everyone else.

Message 18 of 120 (6,801 Views)

★★★★ Apprentice

I just experieced it with one of my families since the latest patch. I was lucky they always ate at the table or, if they had no dining table, at the couch but now they grab food, go upstairs and have a dinner meeting in my toddlers bedroom sitting on the toddler beds. If there is no space anymore, they will sit and eat on the parents bed.

There is a dining table with 2 chairs in the kitchen and there is nothing that prevents them from eating there. Also next to the kitchen is a dining room, but they barely use it.

Message 19 of 120 (6,778 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★ Apprentice

I've had a new problem with this - it either started with the December patches or adding the Romantic garden stuff and backyard stuff packs (I didn't have a chance to play in between the first Dec patch and Origin putting stuff packs on sale, so I don't know which change did it).

In any case, I have autonomy off, no mods or cc, and I normally tell my Sims to get leftovers from the fridge and then click on a chair at the table to tell them to eat at the table.  This has always worked for me.  Now, if there is already one Sim eating at the table, the other Sim will take the leftover to the kid's room and eat at the desk or sitting on the bed, leave the plate on the desk, then go sit at the chair at the table they were supposed to sit in to eat.  It seems to be more of a problem if the table is set (which it always is, since I have my kid set it all the time).

It's always the second Sim to get the food, and neither of my Sims has the 'loner' trait.

Editing to add:  the problem seems to be specific to certain dishes - the prosciutto-wrapped asparagus inevitably causes my Sims to eat separately.

Message 20 of 120 (6,728 Views)