Re: [OPEN] Sims place dishes in another room, normally on coffee table

by Latebricole69420

Original Post

[ Edited ]
★★★★★ Novice

This is maddening and it happens with cooked food too. My kitchen is full of counters and tables, and my sims always walk across the entire dang house to place food on the coffee table 4 rooms away. It's almost like that coffee table is a pressure plate protecting the house from a sword of Damocles descending on the house. If for whatever reason it isn't constantly filled with dirty dishes, empty glasses, or cooked food, the house will be destroyed. I hate this.

Autonomy in this game is so completely broken.

Message 11 of 35 (2,562 Views)

★ Guide

One  family in particular seems to put dirty dishes on the coffee table  than others, though it does happen. I wonder if it's because their coffee table happens to be in line of sight from the dining  table. It's also my oldest save so I used to think it was just corrupted. 

Message 12 of 35 (2,511 Views)

★★★★★ Apprentice

Oh my googness, yes! I have this too. For me it's one of them low outdoor tables. My favourite is when they grab leftovers, eat them right in front of the refrigerator door (and not at the counter with bar stools three squares away), then go out of the kitchen, through the hallway and out to the porch the place it on the low sidetable! Haha.

On top os this, they usually also bug out when they try to clean the dishes. Often they will collect the dishes into a pile, and then set them back down on the table. Have to use the hand of God to get rid of them. (It's not that they T-pose or anything... They just don't take 'em away.)

Message 13 of 35 (2,490 Views)

★★★★★ Guide

It drives me crazy how they will walk past the sink or dishwasher to go out a plate down somewhere else like on a half wall, a bookshelf or even something like a decorative shelf. They also seem to more prone to use a bathroom counter for prep or the sink for washing dishes. I just wonder why we can't disable sinks or set a room as the kitchen and a bathroom as a bathroom.

Message 14 of 35 (2,458 Views)

★★ Novice

I don't have all the expansions or packs, but I do have several.  I have no mods.  I have replaced the coffee table with different ones and it still happens.  The Sims eat in the kitchen, where there is a sink and a dishwasher and plenty of counter space.  But they carry the dish all the way across the house to the living room and put it on the coffee table.  Sometimes they carry it upstairs and put it somewhere there.  PLEASE fix this bug.  It's bugging me crazy!

Message 15 of 35 (2,410 Views)

★★ Apprentice

I have had this issue for quite awhile. It seems to happen more on some lots than others. It's unbelievable how far they travel (and time wasted) to put a dirty dish down on a coffee table.

I have all the Sims 4 add-ons but do not use non-EA mods.  

And, as someone in this thread mentioned, toddlers seem to like to put empty dishes on high shelves that don't show up in every view. I often do not see them unless I am really looking and change the view. 

Message 16 of 35 (2,310 Views)

★★ Novice

I am having this problem now, in 2020, with a brand new, mod-free, CC free, just downloaded base game. I mean come on. I can't get a single sim in my household to put a plate on the counter, BUT they will always put a multiple-serving, freshly made meal on the counter. Whyyyyyy???? Also, why do they INSIST on doing dishes in the bathroom when there are trash cans, the  dishwasher, and the kitchen sink all available?

Message 17 of 35 (2,217 Views)

★ Guide

I made a new home for my sims recently, with fully decorated rooms but the coffee table is on a room near my kitchen, and every single time they eat or cook something, they place it at the coffee table - base game, no DLCs or mods. 

Message 18 of 35 (2,185 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★★ Apprentice

Just had this happen right now. Sim cooked a meal and instead of putting it on the counter that was right next to him with nothing resting on the counter he instead decides to walk to his child's room and place the food on his kid's desk. Really my sim?

Edit: I also lost count the number of times I had to manually move plats. I don't even bother to have sims do it anymore.

Message 19 of 35 (2,074 Views)

[ Edited ]
★ Guide

Another irritating thing is when they put a dirty plate in between the stacked laundry machine/tumble dryer so that I have to go to build mode and remove the dryer to reach the plate. Otherwise it starts to stink there after a while. Please change this so that laundry machines don't have the same properties as tables/counter tops. Bathroom sinks are neither used, nor hygenical enough, for washing your dinner plates in. They are for washing dirty hands after bathroom visits. Please make it impossible, it's just weird. Also please make sure they use the kitchen sink or dishwasher first hand and that they eat at the kitchen or dining table first hand, sofa/by tv second hand. They should not walk around or stand up and eat. It looks way weird if a whole party of sims stand up and eat instead of sitting down at the dinner table. I mean irl we can take a snack or have a drink of water standing up, that's ok, but to eat a proper dinner standing up, how common is that? In some of my houses the sims are hardly ever sitting at their table at all. Maybe I should remove the dining set altogether. It's kind of useless furniture to have if it isn't used, right? They can go and eat where ever, even in the bathroom lol...yuk. Talking of drinks, potions they usually try to sit down somewhere to drink, on the other hand and if you click on the sim to make him take a potion he usually walks away trying to find a good spot where to take the drink, weird. It should be fine to quickly take it on the spot where the sim is at the moment, I think. Sometimes they even have to walk to another floor to do it, which seems awkward. It should be taken quickly, just like the medicine. 

Message 20 of 35 (2,055 Views)