Re: [OPEN] Sims place dishes in another room, normally on coffee table

by elfinpcc

Original Post

★★ Pro
@NennaRC I didn't read all of that but I've also seen the one where sims put dishes "between" a washer-dryer combo. Maybe you could create a thread for it? I didn't see that there was any yet and this seems like something that should be fixed. (But the devs can't track the issue without a bug report!)
Message 21 of 35 (1,644 Views)

★★ Pro

Nudging this up a little. I have this 100% every time now that I'm playing in one of the cheaper apartments in San Myshuno. After eating the sim walks to the living room (if not already in there)  to place the empty plate on the coffee table even if there is free counter space in the kitchen. If there's already plates on the coffee table, the sim might place it on a half wall in the living room instead. :D If that slot is already occupied, next up is that one slot on a DJ table and if all else fails, the plate goes on the floor but the kitchen counter stays free of plates whatever happens. :DD It's getting ridiculous at this point :D

Message 22 of 35 (1,576 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★ Apprentice

PLEASE! Someone over at MAXIS/EA find a solution to this 'Coffee Table Problem' this is insane! I had just filled all the coffee table slots I could find and Sims STILL find a 'place' to put things. In this case, Cassandra (the one in the floral dress) SOMEHOW found an empty slot I couldn't find on the coffee table to put her glass when she was finished drinking water and I cannot see or find the glass to direct her to Clean It Up! Frown

EDIT: Yes, I used MOO to fill up all the other possible slots after filling up the usual ones Without MOO.

Message 23 of 35 (1,480 Views)

★★★★ Apprentice

I think they must have fixed the eating at the fridge because I don't notice that anymore.  That was super annoying because they would also block others from getting to the fridge.  However, I do have the coffee table problem, and if the coffee table doesn't have room, or there is no coffee table, then it is half walls.  If there is neither coffee table space nor half wall space, it is the corner of the bar.  I have had this happen in both my 100 baby challenge (I just started moving the stacks to the sink/dishwasher myself) and several, but not all, of the houses in my rotational play (started with 4 families and now are on 4th gen but all of one of the families, so 12 households).

Message 24 of 35 (1,374 Views)

Re: [NEEDS INPUT] Sims place dirty dishes in another room, normally on coffee ta

★★ Pro

I'm having the exact same issue. Always my sims place the cooked food on the coffee table leaving 8 empty counters around the oven.

Message 25 of 35 (1,320 Views)

★★ Pro

I beg of you, please include this on your next laundry list, Sims team! Please! This is super annoying. We have Soooo many nice coffee tables in the game. Different cool designs, so many to choose from! But we can't use them because sims will spend their days walking from the kitchen to the coffee table, just to place their fresh baked goods, that dinner casserole or the dirty plate on it! 

Message 26 of 35 (1,301 Views)

★★ Novice

Glad to see it's not only me. This issue should have been resolved a long time ago! Not even my maid will pick up the dishes. I have two coffee tables on my first floor, and I've been playing the same house for several generations. Not a single sim can manage to 'clean up'. They ALL put the dishes on the coffee table and they just keep setting them down in the same spot. Every day I have to drag them to the sink for the maid, otherwise, he won't leave. I have tried resetting the objects, no luck. I have restarted the game, no luck. This is through months of playing this same house! I buy different coffee tables, nope. Before the coffee tables, they were leaving them on the half wall I had along the counter. removing that helped and that is when they started putting them on the coffee tables. I even removed the coffee tables for a bit and they returned to placing them on this invisible surface where the half wall used to be along the back of the counters. So no matter what, they aren't cleaning up. But for other people to be having the same issue with coffee tables and cleaning up...why is it taking so long to take care of? Please resolve! Thank you! 

Message 27 of 35 (1,233 Views)

[ Edited ]
Champion

@Dianna124Often if they keep trying and failing to clean up, if means there’s a dish somewhere they can’t pick it up. Make sure you don’t have a plate somewhere they can’t route to (a high half wall/shelf, behind a tv, etc) or sort of glitched in mid air (this has happened to me a few times, especially with toddlers). Once the glitched/unreachable plate is dragged either to a sink or to an open area where they can reach it, then the clean up action should work.

But I agree that it is very annoying that their autonomous action is usually to walk across the house and put the plate down on a coffee table instead of cleaning up or even just leaving the plate where they were.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
I am a Volunteer for Answers HQ, I do not work for EA
She/Her
Message 28 of 35 (1,196 Views)

[ Edited ]
★ Guide

This is how I fixed the problem in my game.

The bug occurs depending on how one organizes the rooms of the house. Look at the attached image.

In room number 1, I had the office and in room number 2 a bedroom. My Sims were putting dirty plates on the coffee table in the living room all the time!

So, I moved the office to room number 2 and converted room number 1 into a bedroom.

I've tested a thousand times and my Sims will always use the kitchen sink or the dishwasher for dirty dishes now.

In summary, try changing the layout of the rooms and that should fix the problem.

coffeeTableBug.png

Message 29 of 35 (1,050 Views)

★★ Guide

In the last few days I've been taking some time to scroll through the forum and see the bugs that still happen to me. Honestly I didn't know this was a thing lol because this has always happened to me, patch after patch. (I have all DLCs, no mods, PC Origin, Portuguese).

Message 30 of 35 (895 Views)