by Carlieseuss

Original Post

Sims Caught in a Cooking Loop

[ Edited ]
★ Apprentice

Product: The Sims 4
Platform:PC
Which language are you playing the game in? English
How often does the bug occur? Every time (100%)
What is your current game version number? 1.69.59.1020
What expansions, game packs, and stuff packs do you have installed? Every available DLC
Steps: How can we find the bug ourselves? It should be easy to replicate: Just start a brand new game, choose a household, and wait.
What happens when the bug occurs? Upon becoming hungry sims will repeatedly Cook, creating several complete meals and leaving them on the counter. They will do this for a while and finally stop and get a "Quick Meal". This occurs every time, and they will Cook using a stove, a grill, or a microwave. They will even repeatedly make salads, if no cooking appliance is available. This can also happen with multiple sims simultaneously, if one becomes hungry while another is stuck in an endless cooking loop. The second sim will ignore the multitudes of dishes on the counters/tables, or the leftovers in the fridge, and instead begin cooking their own meals (and ignoring them until finally taking a quick meal.
What do you expect to see? For a sim to get hungry and either: 1) Cook and eat a meal, or 2) Get leftovers/a quick meal from the fridge/counters if available, or 3) Wait for another sim to finish cooking, and take a portion of that meal.
Have you installed any customization with the game, e.g. Custom Content or Mods? Not now. I've removed them.
Did this issue appear after a specific patch or change you made to your system? Neutral/Not Sure 

The "Cooking Loop" bug is very nearly game-breaking, and looking at other posts it seems as though its been a problem for a long time now. It seems like EA announced that it was "fixed" at one point, but the fix obviously didn't work.

This bug is wide-spread. It happens on modded games, previously-modded games, and fresh installations alike. It happens in every household, in every neighborhood. It happens on sims with no cooking skill, and without any active NAP policies (from the Eco Lifestyle DLC). It happens constantly, and can only be briefly interrupted by manually distracting the sims caught in the a cooking loop. In other reports and discussion threads, players have mentioned resorting to extreme measures like removing all cooking appliances from a lot until they absolutely need to feed the sims in order to avoid the gameplay disruptions caused by the cooking loop, or locking the kitchen door so the sims can't get inside. That kind of band-aid solution should not be necessary.

Fixing this bug needs to be a high priority. I don't know what percentage of players are experiencing it but, given that it occurs even on fresh installations, it obviously isn't a user issue.

Message 161 of 352 (1,792 Views)

Re: Sims Caught in a Cooking Loop

★★★★★ Apprentice

I've only noticed it since either the last patch or since I got Snowy Escape. Which was around the same time. 

My sims found a grill in the forest and suddenly there are 4 dishes she's cooked on the tables. She's not eating any of them. At home the kitchen bench becomes littered with dishes that don't get eaten.

Honestly this is driving me mad.

Message 162 of 352 (1,745 Views)

Re: Sims Caught in a Cooking Loop

[ Edited ]
★★★★★ Novice

I have the exact same problem since the november patch, sims keep cooking but they don't eat. or sometimes they have a quick meal instead of getting leftovers in the fridge. it drives me crazy...

Message 163 of 352 (1,705 Views)

Re: [OPEN] Sims cook but don't autonomously eat/ cook more/ eat quick meal inste

★★★ Apprentice

I have this too and it only seems to be autonomous cooking. If I tell them to cook something they eat it, but several times I've turned my back to find out they cooked three meals and never ate them. It's weird and annoying as I have to keep a much closer eye on the whole family to stop these excessive trips to the fridge.

Message 164 of 352 (1,688 Views)

Re: [OPEN] Sims cook but don't autonomously eat/ cook more/ eat quick meal inste

★★★ Novice

Same exact problem as well. Sims keep cooking and cooking with so many plates around the dining room but don't eat. Quite annoying.

Message 165 of 352 (1,619 Views)

★★★★ Apprentice

Same problem. Tested with mods desactivated.

Message 166 of 352 (1,521 Views)

★★★ Newbie

Exact same issue here. Hoped they would fix with the latest update but can confirm still ongoing.

Message 167 of 352 (1,435 Views)

★★★ Novice

I'm having the same issue. Hopefully this is getting fixed soon.

Message 168 of 352 (1,412 Views)

Cooking and baking loop, 25 Simoleons charged for various activities

★★★★ Novice

Product: The Sims 4
Platform:PC
Which language are you playing the game in? English
How often does the bug occur? Often (50% - 99%)
What is your current game version number? 1.70.84.1020
What expansions, game packs, and stuff packs do you have installed? All of them
Steps: How can we find the bug ourselves? Performing kitchen activities, watching TV, using a computer
What happens when the bug occurs? The hunger need is not fulfilled autonomously; sims keep cooking meals without eating them either using stoves or outdoor grills. The interaction then cancels after several iterations, and the sims chose to eat quick meals instead.
What do you expect to see? - 25 simoleons should not be charged randomly (or at least this exact fixed amount). -the food should be prepared and eaten normally -sims should eat fridge leftovers or butler's food autonomously.
Have you installed any customization with the game, e.g. Custom Content or Mods? Not now. I've removed them.
Did this issue appear after a specific patch or change you made to your system? Yes
Please describe the patch or change you made. The issues appeared after November's update: either the 10th or 17th of November. I tried to: -delete and redownload the Origin, -delete and redownload the Sims 4 and all expansions -repair the game -delete all custom content and cached files -delete gallery items and start the game with a new family.

The sims don't eat butler's food either. For some kitchen activities or other interactions (loading dishes, preparing food), 25 simoleons are charged (fixed amount every time); sometimes, the 25 simoleons are charged when sitting at the computer desk or watching tv. I believe another issue is tied to this one: a sim, being inspired, would enter a loop, where they would go to a bar to make a drink without drinking it, then, when the inspired moodlet cools off, they would go and perform other activities (socializing, etc.), when they enter the inspired moodlet again, they would return to the bar to make another drink without actually drinking it.

Simulations should not enter the repetitive loop under a specific moodlet (I removed an item that produces an inspired moodlet to test the issue, it did not fix it since sims can enter an inspired state independently).

Message 169 of 352 (1,219 Views)

★★★★ Guide
I've noticed this bug appears to be getting worse. After this latest patch for the supernatural changes, I went into an unmodded save and noticed this same thing happening. Sim would make food, put it down and go grab something (quick meal) out of the fridge. I had the family order a pizza (tikki masala) and the sim(s) would take a bite, put it down and try to put away a book or just drop the plate This annoyed and frustrated me greatly.
Message 170 of 352 (1,223 Views)