Re: [OPEN] Sims break programming action to watch TV

by crinrict

Original Post

[OPEN] Sims break programming action to watch TV

[ Edited ]
★ Pro

This isn't just happening with programming.  I had a sim that needed to research reports for her daily task.  The computer was on a desk behind the couch, which faced a TV, like your setup.  I finally started putting the TV into the household inventory while she worked and replacing it after she was done.  That was the only way to keep her on task.

In a new save I started yesterday the sim has to fill out reports for her daily task.  Attached are two pics.  The first shows the usual positioning of the desk by the stairs and the second shows that I moved it behind the couch with the computer facing the TV.  When the desk is by the stairs, the sim stays on task.  When moved behind the couch, she worked fine for two sim days and started the "get up to turn on the TV routine" on the third day.  I did notice in her case, though, that she didn't start breaking task unless one of her needs hit yellow.  It didn't matter which need, it didn't have to be "fun".  Don't know if that was coincidence, or, if the third day was the magic number for the behavior to start exhibiting itself.

It feels a little like a multitasking attempt isn't being pulled off successfully.  For example, a sim turning on the stereo while eating, if alone.  If the working sim wants entertainment and the closest fun object is the TV, it seems like they should be able to whip out that TV remote magically rather than break task and get up to turn it on, as is occurring.

Vanilla game here.

Message 1 of 5 (1,377 Views)

Hero

Does it only happen if you have TV and Computer in the same room or do you see it to if they are in separated rooms ?

Good Luck
Crin

Trennlinie

I don't work or have any association with EA. I give advice to the best of my knowledge and cannot be held responsible for any damage done to your computer/game.
Please only contact me via PM when asked to do so.

Important Threads

Message 2 of 5 (1,331 Views)

★ Pro

So far, I am only seeing it with the TV and computer in the same room.  I think, too, the possibility exists the TV has to be where it would be in the sim's line of vision, so to speak.  Note in my pic with the desk by the stairs that the sim is not facing the TV.  I haven't had her break task to turn on the TV from that location.  Of course, it could be just far enough away from the TV that it isn't as much of a draw for a sim's attention.

Message 3 of 5 (1,318 Views)

★ Pro

That's good to know @greenxen.  I did some further testing on location tonight.  I moved the desk with computer to face the back wall of the house, behind the sofa area.  The sim didn't try to turn on the TV, which is to her right on the wall but as you can see in the pic she did turn on the stereo to listen to it.  Not once over 3 sim days, though, did she ever break task.

I also tried the desk turned toward the front wall of the house and again, she didn't break task.  I had her son complete the typing portion of his aspiration on the computer as well and he didn't break task either.

Sims can easily watch a wall mounted TV in front of them while working out on a treadmill.  Unless there is some nuance I'm not aware of that should prevent such coding, it seems they could fix it so a sim on a computer could do the same thing.  For now, I'm just going to be sure the computer isn't placed so a sim faces the TV.  In the one house I have where there really isn't a place to move the wall mounted TV to, I'll just keep putting it into the household inventory during "working hours", lol.  Oh, forgot I haven't tried instant upgrade out yet.  I'll try that first.

Message 4 of 5 (1,287 Views)

Hero

@dolldrms1

Do you still see this issue ?

Good Luck
Crin

Trennlinie

I don't work or have any association with EA. I give advice to the best of my knowledge and cannot be held responsible for any damage done to your computer/game.
Please only contact me via PM when asked to do so.

Important Threads

Message 5 of 5 (1,187 Views)