Re: [DU] Sims Put Books in ICYA Chest Instead of on Bookshelf

by Kathykins

Original Post

[OPEN] Sims put objects in Box/Chest instead of container (fridge, bookshelf)

[ Edited ]
★★★ Pro

Product: The Sims 4
Platform:PC
Which language are you playing the game in? English
How often does the bug occur? Often (50% - 99%)
What is your current game version number? 1.61.15.1020
What expansions, game packs, and stuff packs do you have installed? Expansions: All Game Packs: Dine Out, Parenthood Stuff, Spa Day, Strangerville Packs: My First Pet Stuff, Perfect Patio Stuff
Steps: How can we find the bug ourselves? Place the ICYA chest on the lot. Hire a maid service to clean up the house. Direct a Sim to clean up books. Have a Sim read and wait for the book to be completed. Have an NPC Sim read a book.
What happens when the bug occurs? Sim place books in ICYA chest instead of back on the bookshelf.
What do you expect to see? The Sims to place the books back on the bookshelf instead of in the chest.
Have you installed any customization with the game, e.g. Custom Content or Mods? Never used.
Did this issue appear after a specific patch or change you made to your system? No

See above.

Edit By Crinrict: Adjusted Tag, adjusted title

Edited By CM: Thread title following thread merger

Message 2 of 44 (5,404 Views)

[NEEDS INPUT] [DU] Food put away by Sims in ICYA chest instead of fridge

[ Edited ]
★★★★★ Apprentice

Product: The Sims 4
Platform:PC
Which language are you playing the game in? English
How often does the bug occur? Often (50% - 99%)
What is your current game version number? 1.59.73.1020
What expansions, game packs, and stuff packs do you have installed? Everything except Get Famous, Fitness and My First Pet
Steps: How can we find the bug ourselves? Have an ICYA chest from Discover Univerity on the lot, Sim prepares food and Sim puts away food. Player drags dorm food to mini fridge.
What happens when the bug occurs? On an off campus lot, the Sim animation looks like they are putting away newly prepared food in a refrigerator when in reality the food is placed in the ICYA chest. If the player drags food to the refrigerator, it stays in the refrigerator. The only way I figured this out was finding a platter of spoiled food in the ICYA chest when I thought it had just disappeared from the refrigerator. This was the second occurrence. The first time I found a platter of spoiled Monte Cristo sandwiches in the ICYA chest was after placing it inside a newly created house on an off campus lot. The platter had been previously dragged into a mini fridge placed inside my Sim's dorm room (Tidal Towers) by myself. Afterwards I was confused when clicking on the mini fridge later and there was no 'Get Leftovers' option. I clicked again and chose 'Open' and the platter was missing. At the time I just figured it had disappeared in relation to a bug others have had with missing inventory. In reality, the platter had been put in the ICYA chest instead of the mini fridge.
What do you expect to see? Platters of food put away by my Sim in a full size fridge or dragged by myself to a mini refrigerator should stay there and not be re-routed to the ICYA chest by the game.
Have you installed any customization with the game, e.g. Custom Content or Mods? Never used.
Did this issue appear after a specific patch or change you made to your system? No

Like mentioned above, this has only happened on campus in a dorm room when I dragged a plate of food to a mini fridge and when my Sim is directed to put away a platter of food in a full size refrigerator off campus. If I drag the food to a full size refrigerator on an off campus lot, it stays there. I don't know about the mini fridge off campus, I sold it after she moved out of the dorms. It's frustrating because I shouldn't have to drag all my Sim's food to the refrigerator now. If I have my Sim use the 'put away' action, I'll be forever having to drag the food back to the refrigerator or throw it away if I haven't noticed and it spoils. Or just get rid of the ICYA chest. I shouldn't have to do that though. I like the chest and have been using it for a TV stand/coffee table in her living room.

Message 1 of 44 (4,706 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★ Guide

Sims have put books in chests for as long as I've played the game (4'ish years). If the chest is closer to the sim than the bookcase, they will choose the chest to put away books.

I've not used the ICYA chest yet, though. Very annoying in any case, especially since I stash all kinds of collectibles in chests, and it can take a while to find a lone book in there.

Message 3 of 44 (5,351 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★ Pro

@Kathykins 

Sims have put books in chests for as long as I've played the game (4'ish years).

I think you are confusing the ICYA with another object.  They just added the ICYA chest in University so I don't know how you can use the object for 4 years. 

I've not used the ICYA chest yet, though.

You then admit you have not used the chest at all.

If the chest is closer to the sim than the bookcase, they will choose the chest to put away books.

I have had a Sim in the same room as a bookshelf and they will walk downstairs to put books in the chest.  I don't think them putting away books in the chest have to do with proximity to the chest.

Now because of your reply, my requests have been marked unsure by Crinrict and it will not be seen by the developers.  You admit you never used the item.  So you are giving feedback on an item you never used are tested saying it worked that way for 4 years when they just added it to the game.

Message 4 of 44 (5,327 Views)

[ Edited ]
Hero

@canelacaliente

OP says it happens with every chest and that's true. It's not specific to ICYA chests. I was still trying to find the thread on normal chests and get info from the devs.

Since it's now the weekend and I haven't been able to get an answer, I marked it as unsure to show you that I saw that.

I was doing research before @Kathykins even answered cause I remembered that it was reported for chests when JA first came out (which hasn't been 4 years but still a long time. I think that was the pack that first added chests you could put collectibles in)  and marking it as unsure had nothing to do with the answer but the fact that it's now weekend.

Also, unsure doesn't mean the devs aren't aware of it, only that I'm unsure if it counts as bug and need further information.

Good Luck
Crin

Trennlinie

I don't work or have any association with EA. I give advice to the best of my knowledge and cannot be held responsible for any damage done to your computer/game.
Please only contact me via PM when asked to do so.

Important Threads

Message 5 of 44 (5,313 Views)

★★★ Guide
@canelacaliente I'm replying with what has happens in my game, which seemed similar to your issue. 4 years is how long I've played, I'm well aware that the ICYA chest is quite new. We had other storage chests before DU, and those are the ones I've been using. And to be honest, among all the other issues I've had, I can't remember if this specific issue has been a thing all that time. Probably not, since I didn't know about the storage chests until some time after I started playing.

No, I have not used the ICYA chest, but I have used others, specifically the "Ornate Beauty" and the "Buyer Beware" (sorry if those names are wrong, just going from memory here). They both function the same as the ICYA, and sims in my game will absolutely put books in those if those chests are closer than a bookshelf. I've found "missing" books in chests more times than I can count.

But, by all means, I can test with the ICYA as well.
Message 6 of 44 (5,301 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★ Pro

@crinrict Thanks for letting me know about the process. 

I am getting the same thing with the other two chests but I tested them off the university lot.  It makes it harder with the ICYA chests because they have their own separate inventory while the other chest shares the same inventory no matter how many you place on the lot.  If you have multiple ICYA chests on the lot, it will become difficult to figure out where Sims are storing books.

I only used the ICYA chest in the dorm in university.  

Message 7 of 44 (5,289 Views)
Highlighted

★★★ Guide
@canelacaliente I did do a quick test with the ICYA chest.

-Sim reading on the couch in his living room, about equal distance to chest and bookcase. Sim put book in bookcase.
-Sim was reading in his bedroom, which contains a "Buyer Beware" chest. Sim ran past that chest, and the ICYA, and put book in bookshelf.
-Sim was reading, standing outside after feeding his cowplant. When he finished reading, he ran to put the book in the ICYA, which was closer to him than the bookshelf, but in the same room as the shelf. The chest in the bedroom was very close to him as well, but he ignored that.

The ideal scenario would be that sims would run straight to bookcases when putting books away, so the players wouldn't have to search for "missing" books at all. I'm glad I only play single sims or small families.
Message 8 of 44 (5,283 Views)

★★★ Pro

@Kathykins Is the home 1-story or 2 stories.  I tried in a 2-story home.  The Sim went downstairs to put the book in the ICYA chest in my game.  He was in the same room as the bookshelf.  I didn't count the distance in squares but the chest seemed further.

Message 9 of 44 (5,265 Views)

Re: [UNSURE] [DU] Sims Put Books in ICYA Chest Instead of on Bookshelf

★ Guide

This will happen even when a bookcase is just as close to a storage chest (either from Base Game or from Discover University).  My Sims will often walk past the bookcase they took the book from, go up the stairs and then put the book away in the storage chest on the landing. This has been happening for far longer than the launch of Discover University. Sims will also put away food into the Discover University storage chest and I have yet to see them do that with the Base Game storage chests.

All packs to date, no cc, no mods.

Message 10 of 44 (5,235 Views)