Original Post

Accepted Solution

[FIXED] Sims Obsessively "Ask What Happened"

[ Edited ]
★★★ Guide

Product: The Sims 4
Platform:PC
Which language are you playing the game in? English
How often does the bug occur? Often (50% - 99%)
What is your current game version number? 1.90.358.1030
What expansions, game packs, and stuff packs do you have installed? All except Journey to Batuu, My Wedding Stories, Laundry Day Stuff Pack, Spooky Stuff Pack, and the kits.
Steps: How can we find the bug ourselves? 1. Create a few sims in a household (2 - 8 sims are preferred) 2. Make sure full autonomy is on 3. Wait until sims autonomously conversate with each other
What happens when the bug occurs? Sims will often queue the "Ask What Happened" interaction.
What do you expect to see? The "Ask What Happened" interaction should be used sparingly, perhaps only if a significant event occurred.
Have you installed any customization with the game, e.g. Custom Content or Mods? Not now. I've removed them.
Did this issue appear after a specific patch or change you made to your system? Yes
Please describe the patch or change you made. July 26th update

Read Above. This "Ask What Happened" interaction is unavailable in the pie menu unless there has to be an event or something similar that would cause it to appear and I don't know how to get that interaction.

Edit By Crinrict: Added Tag to Title,

Message 1 of 14 (9,801 Views)

Accepted Solution

Re: [OPEN] Sims Obsessively "Ask What Happened"

Hero

Sims have learned what it means to be that guy and will no longer constantly ask “What Happened?” for no apparent reason during conversations.

Fixed in Patch 1.103.250/1.84

Please create a new thread if you're still experiencing this issue,

Good Luck
Crin

Trennlinie

I don't work or have any association with EA. I give advice to the best of my knowledge and cannot be held responsible for any damage done to your computer/game.
Please only contact me via PM when asked to do so.

Important Threads

View in thread

Message 14 of 14 (1,712 Views)

All Replies

★★★★ Novice

I saw that this had no replies but I'm assuming this will be fixed in the next patch/update, I've been playing sims for quite a while and they've been relatively quick to tackle any bugs.

Message 2 of 14 (9,139 Views)

★★★ Guide
I'm surprised not more people have this issue, or posted about it. It has been driving me insane, with the constant "Ask what happened" and "Goof around", which I thought was limited to children and goofballs. If I don't pick topics myself, those two topics will make up probably 80% of the conversation. I would expect the question if something really did happen to the sim.

I just now had my sim introduce himself to another, and the first to pop up after introduction? "Ask what happened" followed by "Goof around". Even I find conversations boring lately.
Message 3 of 14 (8,373 Views)

★ Guide

I'm also having problems with both "Ask What Happened" and "Goof Around". Repeated in the same conversation over and over...

Message 4 of 14 (7,697 Views)

★★★★ Guide

My Sims do this all the time. It started after the newest update. Since then almost all they do is "Ask What Happened" (even if nothing happened...) or "Goof Around" (even if they are not Goofballs). They do this nonstop so I often have to cancel these interactions because they end up embarrassing themselves with boring conversations.

Message 5 of 14 (7,669 Views)

★★★★★ Novice

I also have this problem. WHAT HAPPENED AND GOOF AROUND, even when none of my sims have this trait!!!

IT'S driving me CRAZY! >_< it's unbearable, i don't know what to do anymore and i can't find a solution, please FIX this

Message 6 of 14 (7,306 Views)

★★★★★ Apprentice

I think this thread and another thread ( https://answers.ea.com/t5/Bug-Reports/NEEDS-SAVES-Non-Goofball-Sims-Obsessively-Queue-Goof-Around/m-... ) are likely caused by the same thing.

I don't think this is a saves issue. This is a tuning issue. What I'm about to say is rather technical, as I'm researching this to make a tuning mod for my game to stop this behavior. EA would find this more useful.

There are four interactions I think need looked at:

socials_Funny_AutonomousOnly_STC is driving the "Goof Around" action

socials_Romance_AutonomousOnly_STC is coming up as "Flirt"

socials_Mean_AutonomousOnly_STC does the "Insult" action

socials_Friendly_AutonomousOnly_STC shows up as "Ask What Happened"

Two of these actions seem to insert themselves into the action queue very, very frequently, and with not a lot of checks being done to ensure that the action is appropriate.

For instance, the autonomous usage test for "Goof Around",  testSet_FunnySocialsAutonomous, only checks to make sure that the sim is NOT Embarassed, Sad, or Angry, rather than checking to see if the sim is Playful. For "Ask What Happened", testSet_FriendlySocialsAutonomous is only checking to see if the sim is NOT Angry and that the relationship score between the talkers is acceptable.

On the other hand, the test for "Insult", testSet_MeanSocialsAutonomous, is far more appropriately tuned, checking see if the sim is Angry, is talking to someone with a low relationship score, or a negative sentiment, etc, "Flirt" also has an appropriate test in testSet_RomanceSocialsAutonomous, checking for a Flirty mood, or a suggestive conversation, or a high romance score, etc. Probably why we don't see these actions in the queue that much compared to Ask What Happened and Goof Around.

"Goof Around" (socials_Funny_AutonomousOnly_STC) and "Ask What Happened" (socials_Friendly_AutonomousOnly_STC) need a better appropriateness check, but honestly all of these actions probably need some sort of cooldown.

Message 7 of 14 (7,084 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★★★ Novice

@MercAB3 Did you ever come up with the tuning/mod? I'm fixing to try my hand at learning how to make a tuning mod because of this issue, figured I'd ask first.

Message 8 of 14 (6,386 Views)

★★★★★ Apprentice

I made one, but I didn't release it anywhere. Feel free to make one and share it if you'd like. If you want to see what I did, just send me a PM.

There's a couple approaches you could take. You could set "allow_autonomous" to false to shut it off entirely, or change the "test_autonomous" section and change what tests it does. It's all XML tuning. No scripting needed.

Message 9 of 14 (6,355 Views)

★★★ Guide

For anyone using MCCC, you can use the Tuner module to disable the interaction. At least it is a temporary solution until the issue is properly fixed.

Sim > MCCC > Tuner > Enable Autonomy Scan

Click somewhere (I usually click an empty spot on the floor) - Autonomy Commands - Search all Autonomous Interactions

Search for "socials_Friendly_AutonomousOnly_STC" (without the quotation marks) and click on the result. The interaction is removed from the list and you should not see it happen in game. I'll probably dothe same with the Goof around interaction.

I've done this, played a couple RL hours, and have not seen the question pop up yet.

Message 10 of 14 (5,838 Views)