by Suntaile

Original Post

[OPEN] Shadows on windows at top in a split level space

[ Edited ]
★★★★ Novice

Product: The Sims 4
Platform:PC
Which language are you playing the game in? English
How often does the bug occur? Every time (100%)
What expansions, game packs, and stuff packs do you have installed? The Sims 4 Premium edition Expansion packs: Cats and Dogs, City Living, Get together, Get to work and Pre purchase Seasons. Game packs: Jungle Adventure, Parenthood, Spa Day, Outdoor Retreat Stuff Packs: My first Pet Stuff, Laundry Day Stuff, Romantic Garden Stuff, Movie Hangout Stuff, Cool Kitchen Stuff, Perfect Patio Stuff and Luxury Party Stuff. Free Stuff: Holiday Celebration Pack
Steps: How can we find the bug ourselves? 1. Build an L shaped structure (or a square where you remove 1/4 on a foundation on 2nd tick from bottom with lowest walls. 2. Divide the room to cross off the small bit of the L shape, remove the floors on smaller section and remove the wall in the room to create a multi-layered room. 3. Place tall windows that cover most of the wall (I used Spa-day windows as they fit with the doors of the same style) 4. Add glass roof on entire building.
What happens when the bug occurs? The tall windows on the upper part of them turn pitch black when the roof is on as they can't register that the glass roof should let in light. This happens on the windows that are above the foundation walls because they are not considered as a room.
What do you expect to see? That the windows should look like all the other windows in the same building, even if the wall is connected to the foundation and is standing on the ground.
Have you installed any customization with the game, e.g. Custom Content or Mods? Never used.
Did this issue appear after a specific patch or change you made to your system? Neutral/Not Sure 

Hello! I hope you find this helpful! I would love for this to work as I prefer using the short walls, and I still want trees growing indoors. the 2nd tick of the foundation and removing the floor will give just enough space to fit trees indoors without issues.

This issue I just encountered because I am trying to build a good tiny house and hopefully won't have to result in building a mansion as I prefer smaller builds in general.

Many thanks for your help!

//Suntaile

Message 1 of 3 (168 Views)

Re: The Sims 4 lights on windows

★★★ Guide
My first thought is that it's an anomaly with split-levels. I've tried making them pre- and post-patch, but end up frustrated with how buggy they can be. Wall cutaway mode stops working for me whenever I try to build one.
Message 2 of 3 (159 Views)

Re: The Sims 4 lights on windows

I'm also seeing a lighting issue with windows on a split level in my game, but the roof is not a factor; it's the split leveling that's causing it.  It happens at all wall height levels and for any window that is placed near the top of the wall; the closer to the top, the darker the shadow cast on that portion of the window.  Depending upon the size and shape of the split level area, not all windows may be effected.  I started with a 4x4 space with 2x2 windows along the exterior walls, and those windows all had the darkening.  When I expanded the area to 9x9, only a couple of the 2x2 windows on the far right had it.  Will add to our list.

________________________________________________________________________________
I love to troubleshoot and help resolve issues, but I do not work for EA and am doing this on a volunteer basis. Please be patient, as sometimes life happens, and it may take me a bit to get back to you.
Message 3 of 3 (132 Views)

Need help?

We’re happy to help with your account, troubleshooting, and gameplay questions.

Contact us on EA Help

fifa-19-promo-splash

Having trouble connecting to your game?

Try these steps first to clear up any problems you may have when connecting to an EA game.

Troubleshoot and test your connection

ea-help-promo

Forget your EA Account ID or password?

Reset, update, or link your account information.

View More on EA Help