by SimGuruIcarus

Original Post

[OPEN] [S] NPC Sims wear random cold/hot weather outfits not assigned

[ Edited ]
★★★★ Guide

Product: The Sims 4
Platform:PC
Which language are you playing the game in? English
How often does the bug occur? Often (50% - 99%)
What is your current game version number? n/a
What expansions, game packs, and stuff packs do you have installed? All
Steps: How can we find the bug ourselves? Make sure you have planned cold/hot weather outfits for your NPC Sims and pay attention to what outfits they wear when it's cold or hot
What happens when the bug occurs? NPC Sims sometimes wear a newly randomly generated cold/hot weather outfits instead of the ones they already have
What do you expect to see? NPC Sims should always wear their existing cold/hot weather outfits.
Have you installed any customization with the game, e.g. Custom Content or Mods? Not now. I've removed them.
Did this issue appear after a specific patch or change you made to your system? No

This is something that happens consistently with NPC Sims that walk around in the neighborhood. A lot times they can wear the correct outfits I planned for them, but sometimes they decide to wear a randomly generated outfit instead.  If you take control of these NPC Sims and click "Change Outfit" on them, you'll notice they don't actually have this random outfit on them.

Message 1 of 44 (7,760 Views)

Re: [TO TEST] [S] NPC Sims wear random cold/hot weather outfits not assigned

★★★★★ Guide

I have noticed this as well. It's not just townies.

I noticed it today when I switched households. When I switched to a family that lives in Oasis Springs, one of my Sims was wearing a cold-weather outfit with the white cap that had a sprig of holly in it - even though it is hot outside. I switched to another household and had another case of some random cold-weather outfit that I never created for that Sim.

If they don't have a cold/hot outfit already assigned, then I can understand this - but if they *do* have an assigned outfit, then they should wear that.

Message 2 of 44 (7,582 Views)

★ Guide

I have this problem as well, and one thing I've noticed is it seems to happen during winter snow or when it's raining mainly.  I don't remember it happening as often with the hot weather outfit, but all I know is it gets very frustrating because I spent hours changing the npc's ugly hot and cold weather outfits, only for them to show up in random cold weather outfits anyway -.-

Message 3 of 44 (7,541 Views)

★★★ Apprentice
I've notiiced this as well -- when you've got an NPC stomping around in a clown outfit you know you've got propblems. And when I was rotated away from the households, one of my Sims (Liam O'Dourke) got put in a strange outfit with one of those Indian headgears from CL.

I wonder if it's related to the weird festival outfits issue.
Message 4 of 44 (7,518 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★ Guide

Is this mostly happening when it is or has recently been raining? It appears that when Sims walk past a Lot during rainfall they are filling a "role" like the dog walkers or joggers and this tells the Sims to dress in rainwear tagged clothing rather than their ACTUAL cold weather outfit. Like NPCs visiting a food festival are told to wear clothing tagged with the colour brown, or Sims pulled to fill the Tragic Clown role are told to wear clothes tagged with the Tragic Clown option. So techincally speaking it sounds as though this is working as designed.

Message 5 of 44 (7,489 Views)

Hero
Added this

Good Luck
Crin

Trennlinie

I don't work or have any association with EA. I give advice to the best of my knowledge and cannot be held responsible for any damage done to your computer/game.
Please only contact me via PM when asked to do so.

Important Threads

Message 6 of 44 (7,434 Views)

Re: [OPEN] [S] NPC Sims wear random cold/hot weather outfits not assigned

★★★ Apprentice

I have the same issue and it's really starting to annoy me. Both played and unplayed Sims wear random Hot Weather / Cold Weather outfits.

Message 7 of 44 (7,412 Views)

★★★★ Guide

@Alistu You could very well be right. I made a mod to prevent them from wearing rainwear and so far I haven’t seen more instances of Sims wearing random outfits. I need to play a bit more to be make sure this is indeed not happening anymore.

Still, if this is by design it’s a little bit too much, especially since this affects played Sims while playing another family. The accessories/headwear generated on those outfits are atrocious.

Message 8 of 44 (7,390 Views)

EA Staff

Hi everyone!

Would any of you be willing to share your save file with us?  If so, instructions are here:

https://answers.ea.com/t5/Bug-Reports/INFORMATION-How-to-Send-User-Files-to-The-Sims-4-Team/m-p/6065...

Thank you!

Message 9 of 44 (7,360 Views)

Re: [OPEN] [S] NPC Sims wear random cold/hot weather outfits not assigned

★ Guide

I have a friend who has a playable sim who spins into a randomly generated winter outfit. Whenever he does this, it's the same outfit every time like it's one of the five outfits but it is nowhere to be found.

Message 10 of 44 (7,324 Views)