[OPEN] Roof clipping through walls

by marianlarsen

Original Post

Re: [NEEDS INPUT] Roof clipping through walls

@DaniDaring  I've merged your post into the master thread for this issue.  Please read the rest of the thread and let people know whether the suggestions help.

——————————————————————————————————————————

I don't work for EA. I'm just trying to help fellow players with their games.
Message 21 of 31 (3,777 Views)

Roof glitch after the November update

★★★ Novice

Product: The Sims 4
Platform:PC
Which language are you playing the game in? English
How often does the bug occur? Every time (100%)
What is your current game version number? 1.64.154.1020
What expansions, game packs, and stuff packs do you have installed? Seasons , Cats and Dogs , City Living , Discover University , Snowy Escape , Parenthood , Spooky Stuff
Steps: How can we find the bug ourselves? When placing the roof on a house, the roof goes though the walls on the first/seconf storie of the house.
What happens when the bug occurs? The roof goes though the walls on the first/second storie, making the floor complety unuseable.
What do you expect to see? A roof that doesn't make the floor unuseable.( like the first screenshot )
Have you installed any customization with the game, e.g. Custom Content or Mods? Not now. I've removed them.
Did this issue appear after a specific patch or change you made to your system? Yes
Please describe the patch or change you made. The patch of 10 november

For example , I build a house before the update of 11/10 , where the roofs wasn't clipping though the walls. ( see  screenhot 1) . After the update , I was messing around with the new platform tool ( which removes the walls around the platform ), which lead to the roof clipping though the entire floor( see screenshot 2 )  , but normally when you put the wall back , The roof doesn't clip anymore , now it did , it goes though the walls ( see screenshot 3 )  . This also happens with new house I build.And happens in every world ( i tested ) 

Roofing is  already hard  ( to make it look good ) , but now it is impossible to make a good roof and a usable first/second storie.

Message 22 of 31 (3,824 Views)

Re: Roof glitch after the November update

@rosesx_sims4

Do you think it is the same as this issue? Please try adjusting the fencing on the landing https://answers.ea.com/t5/Bug-Reports/NEEDS-INPUT-Roof-clipping-through-walls/m-p/9256109#M149708

The Sims 3 Mac Forum - | - The Sims 4 Mac Forum -
- Clearing Origin cache - | - Mac specific TS4 issues -
AHQSigImage.png
Please do not PM me unless I ask you to, I won't reply
- I am not affiliated with EA in anyway -
Message 23 of 31 (3,795 Views)

Re: Roof glitch after the November update

Hero
@rosesx_sims4 Do you think the issue bluebellflora linked above is the same as yours ?

Good Luck
Crin

Trennlinie

I don't work or have any association with EA. I give advice to the best of my knowledge and cannot be held responsible for any damage done to your computer/game.
Please only contact me via PM when asked to do so.

Important Threads

Message 24 of 31 (3,760 Views)

Re: [NEEDS INPUT] Roof clipping through walls

★★ Novice

Hi all, not sure if this is the same issue as OP, but it seems a few other threads with roof clipping issues similar to mine have been merged with this one. I'm specifically having issues with the round/penta/hexa/octagonal roofs used with foundations. Without a foundation, all roofs act as expected and don't clip into the adjacent room (see "No Foundation" image). Once you add a foundation, these rounder roofs clip into the room (see "Max Foundation" image). Even raising the foundation a small amount causes issues. For example, the problem becomes visible for medium height walls after raising the foundation only two levels (see "Foundation Level 2" image). You can raise the foundation a bit higher with tall walls without issue, but ultimately, all wall heights are affected. Makes it pretty difficult to build a castle with octagonal spires on a cliff aha

The same issue is happening for my sister. We're both on Mac, running version 1.68.156.1220, no mods or cc. I noticed this issue yesterday, she noticed it two months ago, but it seems someone else had this issue back in December 2019 (bug report on 8 point roof clipping), so not sure if I can tie it back to any packs or patches. I've tried repairing my game, but it didn't fix the issue. 

Message 25 of 31 (3,728 Views)

Open stairs cause roof clipping

★★★★ Novice

Product: The Sims 4
Platform:PC
Which language are you playing the game in? English
How often does the bug occur? Every time (100%)
What is your current game version number? 1.75.125.1030
What expansions, game packs, and stuff packs do you have installed? Everything
Steps: How can we find the bug ourselves? create a room, and then add stairs. Create an addition "room" around the stairs with an open floor to create open stairs. Add stairs, and suddenly the original room is no longer considered a "room" and the roof shows.
What happens when the bug occurs? roof clips through walls inside house
What do you expect to see? no roof inside the room.
Have you installed any customization with the game, e.g. Custom Content or Mods? Not now. I've removed them.
Did this issue appear after a specific patch or change you made to your system? Neutral/Not Sure 

Any room that has an open stair case with a room inside that does not contain a wall, causes roof clipping issues

Message 26 of 31 (3,505 Views)

Re: Open stairs cause roof clipping

[ Edited ]
★★ Pro

@CajireHave had this happen when creating open stair wells using sledgehammer to remove floor. It's such a nuisance. My Hound's Head house was particularly troublesome that way.

So, yeah, depending on the floor plan, the game can decide the landing isn't "inside" anymore and poof! the roof comes inside.

Only way I've found to workaround it is to adjust floor plan so that the landing area is a bona fide room and the stairwell is its own little "room" within that room. Which is tricky now that the fence enclosure and "remove floor" doesn't work for creating a stairwell.

You might have to play the hokey pokey with some walls to get it working the way you want.

Message 27 of 31 (3,467 Views)

Re: Open stairs cause roof clipping

Hero

@Cajire 

A couple of things you can try to see if it makes the situation any better.  

You can break the roof up into sections and adjust them separately to see if that works to stop the intrusion.  Doing that can be a bit finicky but I have found that I can usually get the look I want with some time and effort doing it that way.  The other thing you can try is to adjust the upper eave edge on the roof section that is intruding by holding shift and grabbing the eave adjustment arrow and pulling it back as far as you can.  Sometimes that will work but in your case you'll need to break the roof up as the roof is1 tile wider on the right as shown in your pics.

Hope this helps.

Message 28 of 31 (3,440 Views)

Re: Roof is coming inside

[ Edited ]
★ Guide

Bumping this thread as this issue is still present for me.

@DaniDaring wrote:

Everything is fine (picture 1) until I try to use fence where the stairs will be (pictures 2 & 3)! It even does it when I try to use half walls.

I've noticed that any room that is partially enclosed by fences or half walls (on any side) will have all intersecting roofs poking inside. The room will still be treated as being "inside" in any other regard (lighting, being selectable and draggable etc.).

Unfortunately, the only ways I've found around having roofs poking into your house are to either

• not use half walls or fences to enclose any part of rooms that meet a roof or
  • only use roof shapes, eave lengths and trims that don't intersect the room or
  • only use flat roofs, platforms, scaled up overhangs and debug items to get around using actual roofs.

I wouldn't even call these workarounds—they're things to keep in mind when you're planning a build so that you don't get surprised by this issue while building.

Here's a video of a roof even poking into a "room" that doesn't border onto outside walls:

Edit: I somehow didn't see the second page of this thread. Hope this post isn't redundant.
And oh my, that video is tiny, haha Unlisted Youtube Link

Message 29 of 31 (3,218 Views)

Re: Roof is coming inside

Champion

@fischdeo Another workaround that sometimes will be of use is to draw with the half-wall or fence tool in another area of that floor a length of the half-wall or fence that you need (to the full length you need) then use the 'move' tool on it and move that final wall/fence into place to 'complete' the new area (the 4th side of the 'room'). Doing this makes it not an official room/enclosed area and can avoid some results that an enclosed area would have. This is also handy for things like making a shed or out-building on a micro home and having it not considered a real room, etc. I've also used this as a workaround at times the fencing outdoors was throwing errors about connecting or not to the home or another fencing section.

SheriGR   I don’t work for EA.

CCP Champion Banner - Blue.png
Me Too – if you also have this problem | XP – for helpful comments
Message 30 of 31 (3,202 Views)