[OPEN] Roof clipping through walls

by marianlarsen

Original Post

Re: Roof clipping through walls

[ Edited ]
Hero

@marianlarsen 

Well, sorry, I missed that.  So I went back and looked again.  At first it disappeared when I went to live mode.  But going back to build and back to live mode made it show in live mode.  My sim just walked through it too.  But to make it go completely away, I ended up having to add one tile to each of the bedrooms on the front on the house.  Also had to move the closet over a tile which took a tile out of the laundry room.  

So if that works for you, it is a way to make that stubborn roof section go away.  Here's what it looked like in the end.

06-27-20_11-51-05 AM.png

Message 11 of 31 (2,171 Views)

★★ Guide
@CGrant56 Thank you. I ended up moving the rooms on the front one tile.
Message 12 of 31 (2,155 Views)

Champion

@marianlarsen I made a video with some possible workarounds for your clipping issue. I hope something in it may be useful. 
View Video: https://youtu.be/ZCAqOfCnV50

SheriGR   I don’t work for EA.

CCP Champion Banner - Blue.png
Me Too – if you also have this problem | XP – for helpful comments
Message 13 of 31 (2,116 Views)

★★ Guide
@SheriGR Thank you. I ended up replacing the octangonal roofs with diagonal half hipped roofs, and pulling the half gable roof further to both sides.
Message 14 of 31 (2,084 Views)

Champion

@marianlarsen I'm glad it worked out. Have fun in your new home! 

SheriGR   I don’t work for EA.

CCP Champion Banner - Blue.png
Me Too – if you also have this problem | XP – for helpful comments
Message 15 of 31 (2,064 Views)

Octagonal and hexagonal roofs on taller ceilings clip through upper rooms

★★ Novice

Product: The Sims 4
Platform:PC
Which language are you playing the game in? English
How often does the bug occur? Every time (100%)
What is your current game version number? PC: 1.63.136.1010
What expansions, game packs, and stuff packs do you have installed? Get Famous, Cats & Dogs, Realm of Magic, Strangerville, Parenthood, Romantic Garden, Luxury Party
Steps: How can we find the bug ourselves? Repro Steps: Build a two story house with fully enclosed walls. Change the height of the first floor to the second tallest height. Create a custom extrusion using the room builder to create a bay window (issue was found above an octagonal room/extrusion). Place an octagonal roof halfway over the window so that the remainder of he roof is in the second floor of the house through two rooms. Make changes to the height/pitch, size, and curvature of the octagonal roof Observe the clipping that occurs. (If not visible, turn camera 360 degrees.) Attempted Fix: Remove walls from the second floor and redraw the room. Turn the camera 360 degrees around the new room. Observe that clipping still occurs at certain angles. (See screenshot 20200703000925_1.jpg) Repro Rate: Appx. 9/10 times
What happens when the bug occurs? Observations: When adding an octagonal, hexagonal, or pentagonal roof on a floor with taller ceilings, edges will clip through enclosed rooms.
What do you expect to see? Octagon, pentagon, and hexagonal roofs on tall or tallest ceilings should not clip through enclosed upper rooms.
Have you installed any customization with the game, e.g. Custom Content or Mods? Never used.
Did this issue appear after a specific patch or change you made to your system? No

Observations: 

When adding an octagonal, hexagonal, or pentagonal roof on a floor with taller ceilings, edges will clip through enclosed rooms.  Larger polygonal roofs maintains collision through walls and objects cannot be placed on top (more than a visual bug).

Repro Steps:

1. Build a two story house with fully enclosed walls.
  2. Change the height of the first floor to the second tallest height.
  3. Create a custom extrusion using the room builder to create a bay window (issue was found above an octagonal room/extrusion).
  4. Place an octagonal roof halfway over the window so that the remainder of he roof is in the second floor of the house through two rooms.
  5. Make changes to the height/pitch, size, and curvature of the octagonal roof
  6. Observe the clipping that occurs.  (If not visible, turn camera 360 degrees.)  This clipping (if large enough) will prevent object placement.

Attempted Fix:

1. Remove walls from the second floor and redraw the room.
  2. Turn the camera 360 degrees around the new room.
  3. Observe that clipping still occurs at certain angles. (See screenshot 20200703000925_1.jpg)

Repro Rate:
Appx. 9/10 times

Build Info:

PC: 1.63.136.1010 (No mods)

Windows 10

Additonal Notes: 
This issue does not occur with gabled and other roof types. Screenshots attached.

Note: My second floor is completely enclosed.  I added an octagonal roof on top of a window on my first floor (which has taller ceilings) and the clipping occurs in two rooms.  Other polygonal roofs have had the same error.  Please note, reproducibility is dependent on camera angle and the roof passing through two upper levels rooms above a taller ceiling in this example.

Message 16 of 31 (2,069 Views)

Re: Octagonal and hexagonal roofs on taller ceilings clip through upper rooms

Hero

@randimcohn 

Would you be willing to upload the build with the issue to the gallery so a helper can take a look at it for you? 

Message 17 of 31 (2,030 Views)

Re: Octagonal and hexagonal roofs on taller ceilings clip through upper rooms

Hero
@randimcohn Merged your thread with another that seems the same.

Let me know if you think it's not.

Good Luck
Crin

Trennlinie

I don't work or have any association with EA. I give advice to the best of my knowledge and cannot be held responsible for any damage done to your computer/game.
Please only contact me via PM when asked to do so.

Important Threads

Message 18 of 31 (2,026 Views)

Octagon Roof Clipping through wall.

★ Novice

Product: The Sims 4
Platform:PC
Which language are you playing the game in? English
How often does the bug occur? Every time (100%)
What is your current game version number? 1.64.84.1020
What expansions, game packs, and stuff packs do you have installed? University, Island, Get Famous, Seasons, Pets, City, Get Together, Get To Work, Dine Out, Outdoor
Steps: How can we find the bug ourselves? By Placing an Octagon Roof in the middle of a room, or Octagon room and spread it out so the roof ends are outside.
What happens when the bug occurs? The Roof Clips Inside the room, not allowing anything to be placed in the room.
What do you expect to see? I expect to not see any roof inside the building and only outside.
Have you installed any customization with the game, e.g. Custom Content or Mods? Not now. I've removed them.
Did this issue appear after a specific patch or change you made to your system? Yes
Please describe the patch or change you made. The recent patch that was implemented with the Spark'd challenge.

I have tried to remove the columns to see if that was the issue, but it wasn't. 

Message 19 of 31 (2,014 Views)

Roof is coming inside

★★★★ Novice

I've been messing around with this roof and room for an hour now. I've tried redoing the room 5 times and I've tried changing the roof 3 times. Everything is fine (picture 1) until I try to use fence where the stairs will be (pictures 2 & 3)! It even does it when I try to use half walls. I've never had this problem and its driving me crazy! I've tried everything I know to try (redoing the room and roof, turning on bb.moveobjects, updating Origin, repairing the game). Can someone please help me?

Message 20 of 31 (1,876 Views)