by phirehero

Original Post

[NEEDS INPUT] Raising/Lowering Terrain around standalone walls inconsistent

[ Edited ]
★★★ Novice

Product: The Sims 4
Platform:PC
Which language are you playing the game in? English
How often does the bug occur? Every time (100%)
What is your current game version number? Latest
What expansions, game packs, and stuff packs do you have installed? All packs
Steps: How can we find the bug ourselves? 1.) Build a length of wall 2.) Raise terrain around the wall 3.) Delete the wall 4.) try to raise the terrain where the wall was before
What happens when the bug occurs? The terrain behaves as the standalone wall is still there. This happens both with deleting the walls using the wall tool + ctrl and also with the sledgehammer tool
What do you expect to see? The terrain should behave as if there was no wall there, raising and lowering as the rest of the non-room areas
Have you installed any customization with the game, e.g. Custom Content or Mods? Not now. I've removed them.
Did this issue appear after a specific patch or change you made to your system? Yes
Please describe the patch or change you made. The Terrain tools patch

Along this same stroke, i would expect that the terrain would be able to raise up at least to the foundation of a standalone wall. This is problematic for "sunken rooms" (i.e. Rooms that have a foundation, but then you delete the floor to provide the faux room, allowing for multi-level within the 1st level). Perhaps a feature request to be considered?

Message 1 of 4 (2,222 Views)

Re: Raising/Lowering Terrain around standalone walls

Hero (Retired)

@phirehero this is not happening in my game.  In my game, when I follow your steps and delete the wall, the terrain automatically adjusts to the height that it would have been had the wall not been placed there.  I'm also able to raise it in the area without restrictions.  If you haven't already, please try the following: 1) Temporarily remove all mods/CC, 2) clear your cache, 3) repair the game via Origin, 4) create a new save, and 5) test the issue in the new save.  If you continue to experience the issue after these steps, we can discuss it further.  Perhaps it's an issue with a certain lot, etc.

As for terrain raising to foundation height, it is doing so in my game, so again maybe an issue that following the above steps will address.  Let me know! 

Message 2 of 4 (2,208 Views)

★★★ Novice

Hey @BryonyRae, thanks for the fast reply! Still seeing the issue that i am facing. Here are the following scenarios i tested (this is with a single wall, not a room)

• Delete the wall by using the sledgehammer: Terrain still stays sunken down like the wall is there
  • Delete the wall by using the wall tool Beer + ctrl (to toggle the delete mode): Terrain still stays sunken down
  • Delete the wall by selecting the wall first and hitting the 'Delete' key: Terrain pops back up as expected
  • Bulldoze the lot: Terrain pops back up as expected

This was done on a fresh save after repairing and fresh cache w/ no mods or CC. Tested it on multiple lots as well in multiple worlds, all the same effect.

Attached my captures as well just for reference. Perhaps there is something with out those methods of deleting work and the data remaining on the lot?

As for the terrain up next to the foundation, this works if the opposite side of the wall isn't occupying the square (i.e. flooring placed there), so im not sure anything could be done about that, to be honest!

Message 3 of 4 (2,194 Views)

[ Edited ]
Hero (Retired)

Okay, @phirehero sorry it took me a while to get back to you.  I am seeing the behavior you describe in my game now (not sure why I didn't the first time around).  It does seem odd that the behavior is different depending upon which method we use to remove the wall.  However, this may be by design (why, I'm not sure).  I'll try to get clarification.

Edit: okay have had clarification that it's not by design; will add to our list.

Message 4 of 4 (2,143 Views)