[FIXED] Platforms autonomously raise height

by juliabam123

Original Post

Re: [OPEN] Platforms autonomously raise height

[ Edited ]
★★★ Novice

Well, I'll be. I guess I'm not the only one frustrated by this. So allow me to join the choir... I too have suffered many a redo and many a refurbishment of entire rooms because of this.

I've not played Sims 4 prior to December of 2020, so I can't speak to whether it is brought on by this or that update. I've just experienced this particular annoyance with the Build Mode editor (there are many others) from the get-go - and have thus assumed it to be a feature, not a bug. And the more I've seen it happen and thought about it, the more I believe it to be an embedded mechanic of the foundation/platform system. It is simple enough to replicate - and avoid.

Platforms in the game appear to behave in an additive way when placed on top of one another: Place one foundation on flat terrain and it will have a height of +1 relative to the terrain. Add another that partially or completely covers the initial foundation, then that platform will have a height of +2 relative to the terrain. And so and so forth - I believe the maximum is +24 (to match the height of 'tall' walls). Now, a single platform automatically establishes a room upon creation - defined by the difference in height relative to surrounding terrain/other platforms. This is regardless of whether or not that platform has walls. I'm lead to think that the additive function can be triggered by creating a new room on an existing platform, e.g. by using the wall tool or custom room tool to divide an existing room into two. But only if you in the process intersect or split a wall between the border of the platform and the terrain I agree that it is odd behaviour, but I think it boils down to how the functionality was designed. Also, I have not seen anywhere but on the ground floor - i.e. connected to terrain.

What has proven a solution for me, whenever I see the self-raising platform about to trigger, I build the wall with the fence tool instead and then Replace it with a wall afterwards. For whatever reason, this method of creating rooms doesn't set off the "feature".

As an afterthought, I feel the need to address those that have suggested the culprit might be the presence of Custom Content. You make me think that you don't understand how the game engine draws on its various assets. And if I'm mistaken then, for reasons that are beyond my capacity to understand, you're throwing a red herring after those reporting their issues that borders on gaslighting.

Message 41 of 51 (1,984 Views)

★★ Novice

LOL, so I literally am working on a house and this problem keeps happening. I am getting so frustrated. I'm not using CC. I was wondering what were the chances that other people would have the same issue, I didn't even know what to google. But to my surprise, I'm not the only one. EA - PLEASE RESOLVE THIS ISSUE!! Devil

Message 42 of 51 (1,964 Views)

★★★★★ Newbie

Same here, this bug is very annoying and will stop spending money on these game until it's fixed.

Message 43 of 51 (1,914 Views)

Re: Platform height changes when creating a room on it.

★ Guide

This exact problem is happening to me. Yesterday, it didnt do it at all. Today, it wont stop doing it. I'm frustrated and feeling like I wasted money by buying this game, for all the horrible glitches. I cant even build a house without the floors growing on me. I like the new features of the houses, but did they have to make the basics so much harder? Just floors and walls shouldnt be this difficult.

Message 44 of 51 (1,850 Views)

★★ Novice

It's not a fix, but I figured out a work around. (not a substitute for EA fixing it, since it's still buggy.)

Before connecting the walls, make another wall outside of the property and then move it into place. Once you move it into place it'll treat it like a separate "room" and then you can put in windows and doors. It does make it harder to edit, but isn't as bad as nothing.

I had the issue because I wanted to put in an Asian entrance. I also wanted rounded stairway in the back. This caused a lot of issues like roofing, and the wall problems, but you can see the work around worked and I got some cool stairs and the Asian entry I wanted. I had to build the split level hanok the same way.

Message 45 of 51 (1,826 Views)

Platform floor auto rises and deleting clutter every time I build a wall.

★★ Novice

Product: The Sims 4
Platform:PC
Which language are you playing the game in? English
How often does the bug occur? Often (50% - 99%)
What is your current game version number? Base: 1.73.57.1030 (64 Bit)
What expansions, game packs, and stuff packs do you have installed? Get together, City Living, Get a job,, Get together, Dine out, Luxury party
Steps: How can we find the bug ourselves? Building... put up a wall that touched the *Edge of the platform or connects to another wall that does connect to the edge.
What happens when the bug occurs? The platform that makes the floor will rise up to the next higher setting removing windows, doors, wall lights, nightstands etc. By Now the platform says it "Cannot lower back down where it was".
What do you expect to see? I don't have any packs that involve that.
Have you installed any customization with the game, e.g. Custom Content or Mods? Yes
Did this issue appear after a specific patch or change you made to your system? Neutral/Not Sure 

At this point I cannot put up any more walls that touch the edge of the platform or connect to an existing wall that does connect to the edge at some point. It has always does this in my game.

Message 46 of 51 (1,671 Views)

Rising platform

★★ Novice

Hello Standard smile For this build I'm using a platform for the floor, anytime I place a wall that touch's the platforms edge or connects to an existing wall that touch's the platforms edge the entire platform (Floor) rises/thickens and deletes many clutter items (Seats, Windows, Desks, Appliances, Doors etc.. Eventually the floor/platform says I cannot be lowered (unlike before). I have seen exactly this issue in other older threads some did use mods and some of those reporting this did not use mods; same problem either way.

Message 47 of 51 (1,679 Views)

Re: Rising platform

Hero
@MikeCobalt I merged your post with the bug report on this.

Make sure to click me too on the first page.

Good Luck
Crin

Trennlinie

I don't work or have any association with EA. I give advice to the best of my knowledge and cannot be held responsible for any damage done to your computer/game.
Please only contact me via PM when asked to do so.

Important Threads

Message 48 of 51 (1,626 Views)

Re: Rising platform

★★★ Novice
@crinrict Still having this problem literally two days ago. I made a house with a deck as a platform. Then when I got to the floorplan every single room moved different sizes and changed height! Even though it's not a house on a platform. I can't believe this bug is STILL a thing over 6 months later. And it's not noted on the most recent laundry list so just deal with it I guess. Woo thanks Ea.
Message 49 of 51 (1,505 Views)

★★ Apprentice

I've also been having this issue! Often. English, PC 64bit with a handful of expansions. Up to date, no mods.

It seems to not happen only when there's the glitch where a closed room doesn't act like a closed room (like when you add walls and close it off but it doesn't behave like a closed room. Which happens maybe 10% of the time when making a room within a room against preexisting walls of the initial room. Ever try to add wallpaper to a closed room using shift and the wallpaper goes along one wall and then carries on outside of the room for no reason, or even around to the exterior of the house? That's the glitch I'm talking about).

If you build a house, and use the arrows to raise the platform inside, and then add walls to make a new room within the house, then as soon as you close the room: all the platforms within the house on that level raise on their own in accordance to creating a new room on the existing platform.

It seems they raise by how many you'd set it at, which is odd. To clarify:

-I made a large box, raised the platform to 3 clicks.

-Built walls to make a room within the box

-As soon as the room is made, the platforms within the whole box raised by 3 more clicks. Same for initial setting at 2 clicks, platform raises by 2 more. Even if you adjust the levels of the platforms after to different heights, it still raises by the same initial setting.

-This is just a trend I noticed while trying to still build efficiently and find shortcuts around the bug

-I've mainly been frustrated by this when I have rooms or sections at different platform levels with stairs and decide to add another room within, then my stairs glitch or disappear when all the platforms raise after closing off a new room.

It seems to have something to do with the level you set the platform to by using the arrows before you begin making more rooms atop/within. I haven't tried with placing a platform within the house rather than just using the arrows to create platforms (since it removes any walls it's against when you rather place a platform) so I'm unsure whether it's a general platform issue or simply an issue brought upon by using the arrows on an initially normal room/foundation. And this issue persists through the entire build. Like, it doesn't happen just once and then stop: when it happens, it will continue to happen every single time you close off another room on that level/platform.

To find the bug: build a room and use the arrows to raise the platform. Close off a new room within the initial room, and platforms will raise. I've noticed it when I build a room within from a preexisting wall of the initial room (not just a box within a box not touching existing walls, as I don't build like that so I can't guarantee you'll find the bug that way). If this doesn't work to find it, try changing the platform of the room/a section within the box to be higher or lower than the rest of the box (but not ground level) and then build another new room. If that still doesn't work for some reason, try building a room that goes over both the platform heights. You will find this bug, just keep adjusting platforms and building rooms and you will find it.

Message 50 of 51 (1,432 Views)