by BridgeB27

Original Post

[OPEN] Platform affecting roofs

[ Edited ]
★★ Novice

Product: The Sims 4
Platform:PC
Which language are you playing the game in? English
How often does the bug occur? Every time (100%)
What is your current game version number? 1.68.154.1020
What expansions, game packs, and stuff packs do you have installed? just tiny living
Steps: How can we find the bug ourselves? build a two story house with the 1st floor smaller then the ground floor and put a roof on the ground floor. the upstairs room has to have a platform in it for the bug to show
What happens when the bug occurs? the roof comes through the walls and into the room so i cant decorate the upstairs properly
What do you expect to see? no roof inside my house
Have you installed any customization with the game, e.g. Custom Content or Mods? Not now. I've removed them.
Did this issue appear after a specific patch or change you made to your system? Yes
Please describe the patch or change you made. the new platform update

a screenshot of what happens with the roof11-11-20_6-44-23 PM.png

Edit By Crinrict: Added Tag to Title

Message 1 of 14 (10,683 Views)

Re: platform affecting roofs

[ Edited ]
★ Guide

Yes this happens in my game. The platform does not just need to be in the room. But needs to touch the roof. If you place the platform on part of the first floor where the roof doesn't reach, it's fine. But once it touches the roof the roof comes inside. 

Edit: after trying a little bit more I realised it always happens when the platform is touching one of the outside walls.

(Sorry image is rotated) like this the platform is fine.

IMG_20201111_204045.jpg

But when extending the platform the roofs comes inside

IMG_20201111_204054.jpg

Message 2 of 14 (10,650 Views)

[ Edited ]
★ Apprentice

Me too. PlayStation 4 Pro. Example:

Roof on first floor (ground floor):

PS_Messages_20201112_163831.jpg

Ok without a platform:

PS_Messages_20201112_163834.jpg

With 2x2 platform inside. Roof falls in when platform is under it. Ceiling was fine without any hole where roof fell in:

PS_Messages_20201112_163836.jpg

Message 3 of 14 (10,616 Views)

Re: [NEEDS INPUT] Platform affecting roofs

Hero

@toxicsushi2004 @Arethien @juliabam123 

I tested this and found the same things all three of you did.  

You can help the issue some by using the half roofs rather than the full roofs to make a roof over lower levels and you can use the eave tool to pull back the eave edges.  But the issue where the roof shows up on the platform itself even when the platform is not against the exterior wall is a real problem.  Changing room dimensions and where the platform is within the room seems to help a bit but not in all cases.  I agree that it shouldn't work this way.  I didn't check using the round, and multisided roofs when I was testing but I suspect those will be worse as they had a problem with showing up inside rooms before the Nov 10 patch.  I also didn't test in live mode.  Sometimes, what we see with roofs intruding in rooms in build mode does not show up in live mode.

Hope this helps.

Message 4 of 14 (10,514 Views)

★ Apprentice

@CGrant56 

Maybe it's hard to see, but my 2x2 platform did not touch any walls. I tested in Live Mode I guess, because I looked at ceiling with Free Cam to check if there was a hole where roof fell 😆. Roof was inside with Free Cam.

Message 5 of 14 (10,512 Views)

Hero

@Arethien 

Yeah.  I did see that with your platform.  The same thing happened for me when I used full roofs in my testing.  I have seen that before too before platforms were added.  Platforms just seem to make it worse.  So the best advice I can offer is to use the half roofs instead of full roofs.  A bit more work and sometimes you can't get the effect you are after exactly but I have found that that works most of the time.  When I used half roofs, most of the issues went away for me.

Hope this helps.

Message 6 of 14 (10,502 Views)

★★★ Newbie

@toxicsushi2004 Also occasionally some roof pieces can’t be painted. The game doesn’t register there as being there when trying to paint them, however I can drag to resize etc. Sometimes when I resize them and the change them again the original size stays as a kid of ghost form, the same thing happened with stairs - attached below

Message 7 of 14 (10,493 Views)

★★★★★ Newbie
@toxicsushi2004 @CGrant56
Yeah I have the same problem. Since it's a hexagon roof, I can't use a half roof there. Hope they fix it soon.
Message 8 of 14 (10,404 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★★ Novice

i have the same problem, even if i put the platform in my ground floor. it's only in the existing house though. I've tried to build my own and didn't have a problem there, but in the house that came with snowy escape (and therefor already has platforms in it) I can't put a new platform anywhere in it.

I hope that gets fixed soon. It's really frustrating...

roof.JPG

Message 9 of 14 (10,288 Views)
Highlighted

★★★ Newbie

Hi, 

I am having the exact same issue with second floor platforms. When I add a platform the roof appears inside the room. I redraw the walls to make it a room again but the roof stays. The only way for me to remove the inside roof is to use the custom wall tool and draw around it again, but that makes the platform disappear. 

I have tried building the platforms outside the room and adding it in. I have tried building a small room where I want the platform inside and then raising that floor and deleting the interior walls (so the outer walls don't auto delete like when you place a platform), but it still immediately shows the roof. Its so frustrating. 

Message 10 of 14 (10,263 Views)