Re: Photos turn black after traveling

by k3llybean

Original Post

Hero
@Andrea058523 Did you have a chance for further testing on this ?

Good Luck
Crin

Trennlinie

I don't work or have any association with EA. I give advice to the best of my knowledge and cannot be held responsible for any damage done to your computer/game.
Please only contact me via PM when asked to do so.

Important Threads

Message 21 of 182 (5,566 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★★★ Apprentice

I have this issue too but not relating to January 10th.  I haven’t quite figured out exactly what’s causing it but my current hypothesis is that it’s related to traveling while leaving photos in the ICYA chest on the lot.  In addition to my sim’s photos being black (in inventory & on the wall and with & without frames) all of her paint from reference paintings are white/blank.  I can see all of the photographs are still in my game files so it seems they’re just disconnected from the object. Here’s what I’ve figured out so far:

* When my sim takes a photograph and leaves it in her inventory she can travel and the photo does not turn black.

* When she puts the photo in an ICYA chest and then puts the ICYA chest in her inventory she can travel and the photo does not turn black.

* When she puts the photo in an ICYA chest and travels but leaves the chest on her home lot the photo turns black.

I *think* it might also be related to leaving the photos in the ICYA chest at a certain time of day in-game because there seems to be inconsistency as to when the photos turn black in the ICYA chest.  Traveling to another lot and returning doesn’t always cause them to turn black but being away from the home lot for an extended period of time seems to cause the issue.  I’ve also had them turn black when in the ICYA chest in the household inventory but I haven’t paid close enough attention yet to determine whether that’s from leaving them in the inventory or whether it’s exactly like leaving them on the home lot while she travels.

I don’t use any mods or CC so it’s definitely some sort of (obscure) bug.  Possibly related to Paint from Reference as well? I think that had caused similar black photos in the past but IIRC that was sim-specific and I’ve had photos turn black in the ICYA chest even for sims who have never painted at all.

Message 22 of 182 (5,558 Views)

Hero
@k3llybean That's what this thread is for actually: https://answers.ea.com/t5/Bug-Reports/NEEDS-INPUT-Photographs-turn-black-after-removal-from-a-wall/t... hence I'm trying to find out if OP did this as well.

Good Luck
Crin

Trennlinie

I don't work or have any association with EA. I give advice to the best of my knowledge and cannot be held responsible for any damage done to your computer/game.

Important Threads

Message 23 of 182 (5,554 Views)

★★★★★ Apprentice
@crinrict Ah! Thanks! I honestly don’t know how you manage to keep on top of everything here! Enjoy your vacation from us Standard smile you’ve earned it!
Message 24 of 182 (5,551 Views)

★★★ Newbie

Hi, I'm not the OP but I am having this issue as well. My sim took photos of his spouse, they were in the inventory, he placed 4 of them on the wall and framed them. They went directly from his inventory to the wall. The sims have not left the property since, but I have saved and a few days has passed. I'm now back in game and the photos are black. They are in Newcrest in a self-built home. Any help would be great!

Cheers!

Message 25 of 182 (5,455 Views)

Hero
@faeinflux Don't think there's a solution. to this.

If you don't mind going back you can check if they are fine in any of the automatic backups

https://sims4.crinrict.com/eng/2014/09/save-games/#wiederherstellen

Haven't heard of a way to 'unblack' photos

Good Luck
Crin

Trennlinie

Important Threads

Message 26 of 182 (5,437 Views)

Photos missing/black wall & inventory

★★ Novice

I sent all of the sims in my household to go to university and moved each photo into the family inventory before moving my last sim. After completing uni and moving them all into a new house, all of the photos from my family inventory are black. I’ve repaired my game and have some cc but no mods. Nothing has worked! I can’t seem to find a fix for this anywhere Frown I’ve restarted several times but unfortunately don’t have a save file from before I moved them. Help?

Message 27 of 182 (5,479 Views)

Re: Photos missing/black wall & inventory

Champion

@jivaniuc1991 Is this the same issue as you are having? https://answers.ea.com/t5/Bug-Reports/NEEDS-INPUT-Photographs-turn-black-Patch-1-58-69/td-p/8471971/...

If it is the same please 'me too' that post and let me know here and I can see if this thread can be merged with that report.

If it is not the same, I would like to try the following as a first step in troubleshooting (click spoiler tag for directions)

Spoiler

Please try the following in this exact order without skipping any steps, even if you’ve done some of these steps already:

• Exit your game then exit Origin. Drag the Mods folder from your 'The Sims 4' folder onto your desktop (for future reference) then delete the localthumbnailcache.package file in your 'The Sims 4' folder. (When you restart the game it will automatically create a new Mods folder.)
  • Next please run a game repair [ Open Origin, click 'Game Library' then right-click Sims 4 > Repair Game ]. Make sure to let it run until it has completed all repairs (it will do the base-game first, then run through each of your expansions/packs).

Do not re-add any or your Mods or CC at this time. Please then restart your game and see if the issue is present.

If this fixes the issue you can re-add your Mods/CC one at a time to see which were conflicting with the function/causing the glitch - but do not re-add the old Resource.cfg file from the old Mods folder, as it is possible for it to have become corrupted. If you have a lot of Mods or CC you can do so by via the 50/50 method. Let me know if you need directions on this.
SheriGR   I don’t work for EA.

CCP Champion Banner - Blue.png
Me Too – if you also have this problem | XP – for helpful comments
Message 28 of 182 (5,455 Views)

★★ Novice

Yes but I’m not on a Mac, on windows 10

Message 29 of 182 (5,427 Views)

Champion

@jivaniuc1991 Thank you for confirming. There are both PC and Mac users having that issue. Standard smile

SheriGR   I don’t work for EA.

CCP Champion Banner - Blue.png
Me Too – if you also have this problem | XP – for helpful comments
Message 30 of 182 (5,411 Views)