Re: [NEEDS INPUT] Parents refuse to care for toddler

by lenalikeslollies

Original Post

Re: toddlers buggin'

Hero
@vivienhjames Merging your post then so all reports on this issue are in one place.

Good Luck
Crin

Trennlinie

I don't work or have any association with EA. I give advice to the best of my knowledge and cannot be held responsible for any damage done to your computer/game.
Please only contact me via PM when asked to do so.

Important Threads

Message 21 of 34 (937 Views)

★★ Novice

I'm still having this issue now. I've only noticed it since the June update. It started when I tried to get my sim to potty train the toddler but when the toddler sat down it continued to learn and use the potty with the adult sim not doing anything and the queue saying they had no actions. The adult sim could also do whatever while the toddler was being potty trained. When I realised the adult wasn't doing anything I tried to click on the toddler and go to toddler care to choose 'Potty Train' like you can normally do but there was no option. Another issue was with the high chair which was the sims would do the animation of pulling food out and placing it but the food would remain stuck to their hand and not on the high chair. I then reset them and the food teleports to the floor and the sims still don't do the correct thing. I also tried putting the toddler in the high chair and then giving her food but that didn't work either and did the same thing.

Message 22 of 34 (899 Views)

Re: [OPEN] Parents refuse to care for toddler

★ Novice

I've just started getting this since I updated Sims4 on the PC today (7th August 2022).  Ordered the parents to feed their toddler who had a Red hunger bar and they put him in the high chair, took out a bowl of food, lost interest took him out of the high-chair & wandered off to do something else (with the food bowl still stuck to their hand) - spent the entire 5 in-game hours before work trying to get either parent to feed him with the same result.  Then ordered the Nanny service & the nanny did the same thing.  Quit game by doing end task on the task manager.

Tried "Repair" from the settings menu then reloaded & the same problem occurred.

On a positive note nobody aged up.  Last patch I had 2 birthdays in 1 minute of playing time.

Product: The Sims 4
PlatformPC
Which language are you playing the game in? English
How often does the bug occur? All the time
What is your current game version number? 1.90.375.1020
What expansions, game packs, and stuff packs do you have installed? None
Steps: How can we find the bug ourselves? Try to get a Sim to feed a toddler
What happens when the bug occurs? Sims will not respond to my commands when dealing with a toddler. 
What do you expect to see? I expect to have my Sims respond within a reasonable time frame
Have you installed any customization with the game, e.g. Custom Content or Mods? Never used.
Did this issue appear after a specific patch or change you made to your system? Yes, the most recent patch to fix the aging-up bug.

Message 23 of 34 (665 Views)

★ Novice

Still not fixed in the latest patch - My current game has been unplayable for over a month after the last three patches broke various things (rapid aging, now this) that mean I can't play without ruining my save. 

Is this being prioritised, is there a workaround I've missed?

Message 24 of 34 (630 Views)

★★ Novice

Me as well, caring for toddlers is like pulling teeth.

Message 25 of 34 (525 Views)

★★★ Guide

What till they add Infants in early 2023. Your dealing with nothing atm.

Message 26 of 34 (497 Views)

★★ Pro
@lenalikeslollies Yeah I've noticed the potty train thing too. They just won't do it.
Message 27 of 34 (487 Views)

Hero

Has this gotten any better ?

Good Luck
Crin

Trennlinie

I don't work or have any association with EA. I give advice to the best of my knowledge and cannot be held responsible for any damage done to your computer/game.
Please only contact me via PM when asked to do so.

Important Threads

Message 28 of 34 (342 Views)

★★★★ Guide

I had a problem with this a few days ago. I didn't think much of it at the time because I assumed I did a bunch of game play things that messed up the situation.

It started when reset all my game settings and this turned neighborhood stories back on. I didn't notice until people in my neighborhoods started having babies, adopting, dying in accidents, and elders started dying in droves. A family that got hit really hard was the Nishidaki family in Snowy Escape. The two elders adopted a toddler and then died. I was upset, I hadn't had a chance to play with the family and explore the feud between them and the Ito family before they had this horrible tragedy. The sims I was playing at the time had barely met them.

I tried to fix this through gameplay. I had a realm of magic family on holiday, and one of them had met Shigeru in the bath house, so I visited the family, found the gravestones, did necrocall, and then dedeathified them. I figured this would solve all the problems!

It did not, of course. Afterward I had to play the Nishidaki family, have Kaori invite Shigeru and Sachiko back into the family, which worked fine. The problem was the toddler. She would not stop crying at the gravestones and was Very Sad, even though mom and dad were back, and the relationships looked ok in the panel. No one in the house would look after her, even though I repeatedly directed all three adults to do it. The commands appeared in the queue but disappeared right away. I tried going into CAS and back, leaving the lot and going back, debugging everybody, and nothing worked. I even tried maxing all the toddler's skills thru cheats so she could at least look after herself, but she wouldn't interact with any of the items I placed on the lot. I ended up just deleting the toddler.

I don't have a file and can't send a saved game, I just marked the Nishidaki family as unplayed and continued with the vacation. I just assumed the situation was my fault, and tbh it probably was. Dedeathify probably shouldn't be used on random neighbors, especially unplayed ones.

(Unrelated but funny, imo: every time I accidentally turn on neighborhood stories, either Victor or Lily Feng instantly die and the one who lives gets a cat.)

Message 29 of 34 (320 Views)

★★ Novice

I have experienced this issue every time I've ever played this game, on multiple computers through multiple uninstall/reinstalls and on different EA/Steam accounts... Parents and Nannies NEVER take care of the children. I've given up on ever having an infant in the house cause parents WILL NOT care for them. Toddlers I can at least micromanage the hell out of and use the tablets and force a Nanny into maxing out their skills until they Age Up. Infants I just age up as soon as possible cause there's no work around that I've found between defective Nannies and Neglectful Parents. 

At first I thought the parents not taking care of kids was just funny, but now it's annoying. Cause I will queue the parent to feed the child and it'll take like, 5-10 in game hours to get it done. I recently discovered the Fill Needs cheat and OMG it's a godsend to take care of the kiddos. 

If anyone has a fix for this I would love to hear it!

Message 30 of 34 (196 Views)